The Food Thread

Devon Malcolm

• 3 months later...
  • 2 weeks later...

Whilst I was way my friend who lives in Cornwall is a total middle class Good Life wanker, but he make some fucking amazing spinach and ricotta cannelloni that he made from scratch. When I mean made from scratch he made his own ricotta from the milk from his goats and Spinach from his garden. The only thing in it that wasn't collected from his land were the flour for the pasta and the Parmesan. I don't have any photos though because I was knackered from lumberjacking it all day.

• 3 weeks later...

I didn’t know where else to put this. 

I fucking hate Peanut Butter. Detest it. So of course in a moment of madness I bought Kellogg’s Crunchy Nut Peanut Butter Clusters, as it was on offer.

Absolutely awful.  Now I have a box of cereal that I don’t want, the kids don’t want, and have to eat as I can’t stand waste.

First world problems, it’s ruined my bloody week.

• 2 years later...
  • Paid Members

For the last few months I’ve signed up to the snacksurprise.com monthly box. The product is amazing, but the service is so slow and shit that I’ve cancelled it (I’m still waiting on a box that should have been sent end of June)

Does anyone subscribe to any other boxes that are decent and arrive on time? 

On 8/10/2021 at 11:44 AM, waters44 said:

For the last few months I’ve signed up to the snacksurprise.com monthly box. The product is amazing, but the service is so slow and shit that I’ve cancelled it (I’m still waiting on a box that should have been sent end of June)

Does anyone subscribe to any other boxes that are decent and arrive on time? 

The kids got bought a Japanese mystery box but half of it was dagashi (is that correct? Fish based snacks) which they left, but I was impressed by the amount they got for the price.

They keep badgering me about a sub box so I'd be keen to find out what that one is like. Is it the one where it's a different country every month?

I signed up to Too Good To Go and picked up my first "magic bag" today. From an artisan bakery shop locally (which I could never afford) and for ÂŁ3 I got 5x croissants, 3x scones, 2x cupcakes and these absolute beasts of doughnuts which I think are ÂŁ3 each themselves. Apologies for the crap photo.

spacer.png

Be interested to see what you get from Greggs, Nero, Starbucks etc. Reckon it might be slightly better as would probably include savoury food too.

I bet in London it's also better as the choice is greater, but yeah have a look if you want to make a saving. Stops food waste too.

1 hour ago, SuperBacon said:

signed up to Too Good To Go

I signed up for that back when I was drinking! Didn’t realise it wasn’t just for a big box from a Chinese buffet for a couple of quid at the end of the night!

• Paid Members

What’s going on with turmeric? Why have so many TV chefs started pronouncing it as if it started with the first three letters of Tuesday rather than the first three letters of turmeric?

• Paid Members
4 minutes ago, air_raid said:

What’s going on with turmeric? Why have so many TV chefs started pronouncing it as if it started with the first three letters of Tuesday rather than the first three letters of turmeric?

Add to this oregano. I’ve always heard and pronounced it as ory-gano now I’m starting to hear or-eh-gano more often. 

• Paid Members
5 hours ago, stumobir said:

Add to this oregano. I’ve always heard and pronounced it as ory-gano now I’m starting to hear or-eh-gano more often. 

I’m tempted to say “blame Yanks” but whenever old footage of Antonio Carluccio airs on Saturday Kitchen it’s apparent that the Italians pronounce it closer to that way too. Maybe people think they’ll sound more cultured falling in line with pronunciation of (let’s be fair) culinarily superior countries.

Edited by air_raid

The Italian argument holds no water because that's how you say it in Italian and we're talking about English. That would require us to pronounce Volkswagen follksvargun, but we don't because we're not Bosch. Producers should be telling these people that they'll be needing one more take with the correct English please.

• 4 weeks later...