The Food Thread

Devon Malcolm

• Paid Members
3 minutes ago, Keith Houchen said:

Really nice to see you enjoying the baking, Rick!  Having a passion for something is a great thing.

Cheers pal. I find it a great way to relax. Obviously, trying to shift weight means not eating a lot of it but I get a really warm fuzzy feeling from others enjoying it. I took some of the choc shortbread for the old couple who help run our football club yesterday morning and they were so pleased. It was only a few biscuits but they were so chuffed I'd thought about them. A real simple pleasure.

• Paid Members
46 minutes ago, tiger_rick said:

Cheers pal. I find it a great way to relax. Obviously, trying to shift weight means not eating a lot of it but I get a really warm fuzzy feeling from others enjoying it. I took some of the choc shortbread for the old couple who help run our football club yesterday morning and they were so pleased. It was only a few biscuits but they were so chuffed I'd thought about them. A real simple pleasure.

You'll have to send me the recipe for that chocolate shortbread, Rick!

I make the regular stuff for my lot at Christmas but never deviated into other territory. Was thinking of a lemon one but that choc one looks right up my street.

• Paid Members
2 hours ago, FelatioLips said:

You'll have to send me the recipe for that chocolate shortbread, Rick!

I make the regular stuff for my lot at Christmas but never deviated into other territory. Was thinking of a lemon one but that choc one looks right up my street.

It was a BBC one. I actually just googled it because one in my book had something I didn't have, maybe cornflour, whereas I had all of this. Only 5 ingredients. Bought white choc chips yesterday, gonna try it with them.

175g butter, softened
85g golden caster sugar
200g plain flour
2 tbsp cocoa powder
100g chocolate chips, milk or dark

Mix the butter and sugar together with a wooden spoon. Stir in the flour and cocoa, followed by the chocolate chips – you’ll probably need to mix it together with your hands at this stage. Halve the dough and roll each piece into a log about 5cm thick. Wrap in cling film and chill for 1 hr or for several days. Can be frozen for up to 1 month.

Heat oven to 180C/160C fan/gas 4. Slice logs into 1cm-thick rounds, transfer to a baking tray lined with baking parchment and bake for 10-12 mins. Cool on the tray.

1 hour ago, Ralphy said:

@tiger_rick

all of your bakes look amazing! will you be doing a xmas cake this year? 

do you like peanut butter? id love to see a peanut butter based bake! 

I like it and have had a look at a couple of cookie recipes. Planning Gingerbread next as requested by my little one and seen some Apple and Cinnamon cookies that I'm going to try with a view to doing them at Xmas.

Away from baking, we've always gone to one of our parents for Xmas dinner - apart from one year when my Mum buggered off to Spain. I'm considering hosting this year. Gonna give myself a month or two, see if I still enjoy cooking! I do make a mean roast though. Here's a veggie toad in the hole I did a couple of weeks ago. Only a small portion for us weight watchers! Photo before I drowned it in Gravy too!

image.png.ba403cf2413e2b22f6e42af114ce16e2.png

• Awards Moderator

Champion roast. Need to parboil them potatoes a little further though chief.

Chocolate shortbread looks ace. Can be a beggar to bake though because the dark colour makes it hard to tell when they're done?

• Paid Members
8 minutes ago, Onyx2 said:

Champion roast. Need to parboil them potatoes a little further though chief.

They weren't par-boiled, they were new potatoes chopped up. I just roast them like little jacket spuds.

8 minutes ago, Onyx2 said:

Chocolate shortbread looks ace. Can be a beggar to bake though because the dark colour makes it hard to tell when they're done?

Yeah, I found that. I took them out when still soft in the middle and that was about right but the batch on the lower shelf were softer all over and as mentioned, not quite done enough.

• Paid Members
2 hours ago, Ralphy said:

anyone know of quick cook microwave rice (without junk added) that is enough for just one person? Asda, and other places sell it but its in 250g bags, and i only have around 70g per meal, anymore than that and i get a carb high and then i crash!

Do you have 70g of dry rice, or 70g after it's cooked? Remember it weighs more once it's absorbed water. Either way, you can portion the packs out and only cook the amount you need. Put the rest in the fridge and use in the next couple of days. 

• Paid Members
16 minutes ago, Ralphy said:

i weigh out 70g dry rice, yea. Main issue is im not a fan of eating rice the day after i have cooked it, it just doesn't taste good and i find it can be a haven for attracting bacteria etc 

Just get the microwave packets and empty half into a microwave safe bowl and cook. Leave the other half in the packet in the fridge and use that the next day. 

• Paid Members

Properly back in the saddle ahead of the new Man v Fat season. Up early making a mushroom, chorizo and feta fritatta for breakfast. Normally make it with potatoes but swapped them for mushrooms for lower calories. Only problem is even though I cooked the mushrooms this time, they still release their manky juice all over.

image.png.404d6663e44871b2a2e528343f267c0e.png

Edited by tiger_rick

• Awards Moderator
4 hours ago, tiger_rick said:

Only problem is even though I cooked the mushrooms this time, they still release their manky juice all over.

I hate being Mr Manky know-it-all in this thread, but I have done all these things and ways to fix them.

Fry the mushrooms in a medium-hot dry pan (no fat). Keep going until they smell really toasty and mushroomy. They will give out a load of moisture, then that will evaporate. They'll have have reduced in size quite a bit. Let them chill down and ideally get them in the fridge until needed. They shouldn't sweat next time you cook them as they've already lost most of their moisture and will take a long time to get back to the temperature where they'll leak.