The Food Thread

Devon Malcolm

• Awards Moderator
6 minutes ago, tiger_rick said:

How long are they good in the fridge once cooked?

Cooled quickly and sealed (I use leftover plastic takeaway containers for this) 48 hours is perfectly safe, but you could push it a few days further if you trust your thorough reheating.

• Paid Members

Think I have a new favourite for Gladders go to meal question. Needed a quick tea last night and the rest of the house, who aren't fat bastards and don't give a shit about testing my willpower, had McDonalds. I found 2 Veggie Quarter Pounders in the freezer. Didn't really know what to do them with, trying to keep my calories very low this week, so I cooked them, put them back under the grill with a sprinkle of Chedder and had them with a bit of low sugar ketchup. It wasn't exactly classy but it was fucking divine.

• Paid Members

I did one of my favourite meals, A Big Roast Chicken, for the first time since eating some meat again and I haven't lost the knack, thankfully.

Leeks, thyme and honey carrots, braised red cabbage and apple and cauliflower cheese are the vegetables. I'm already pumped for cooking a variety of roasts as we head towards Christmas.

20181014_140018.jpg

Edited by Gus Mears

• Paid Members

Few bakes for me this weekend. Not a raging success is the short version.

Start with the good. Made gingerbread for the kids to decorate as my 4yo has been requesting it all week. First batch was slightly over-baked. Rest were spot on.

image.png.896c78a5e49ad89526ba6bd6e3629f08.png

Like @Gus Mears above, I've been thinking Xmas. Tried out some Apple & Cinnamon oaties. Yeah, made a right botch of them. Dough was horribly claggy and I added apple to it which just made it impossible to do anything with. I thought they might melt a bit more in the oven but they didn't and ended up somewhere between cookies and buns. Taste isn't bad but the texture is garbage.

image.png.331b0cf5647de1495a30695c0b78daa5.png

Worst for last. I mentioned recently that a local bakery used to do Cheese Scotch eggs. Can still get them in Beverley but they're £2.50 each. I made some last year that weren't bad so ha another go. However, genius that I am, I thought I'd bake rather than fry so it'd be healthier. You can bake a scotch egg. You can't bake a fucking cheese one. What would you call these? Cheesy egg UFOs? They tasted alright actually, the cheese was crunchy on the outside and had a lovely flavour from being melted but the egg was a bit superfluous.

image.png.ffe38e8285afd2a82eba88de6f412ea2.png

• Paid Members

@Onyx2 and possibly @Chest Rockwell from recollection. I know this has been discussed before, but it's always a nice topic to return to (and I can't find the relevant page), have you got any recommendations on sous vide gear? With Christmas imminent, I'm keen to make it a top present so I'm not given socks and Old Spice box sets. 

• Awards Moderator
41 minutes ago, Gus Mears said:

@Onyx2 and possibly @Chest Rockwell from recollection. I know this has been discussed before, but it's always a nice topic to return to (and I can't find the relevant page), have you got any recommendations on sous vide gear? With Christmas imminent, I'm keen to make it a top present so I'm not given socks and Old Spice box sets. 

You've got three routes: all-in-one box, extension gadget, or wand (immersion circulator) and box.

1. If you have a slow cooker then an extension gadget is the cheapest way to get started. It plugs into the wall, then you plug your slow cooker into it. About £50.

https://www.amazon.co.uk/Creative-Cuisine-Grant-Controller-White/dp/B01MXPF7F3

71Ila0G9FyL._SL1500_.jpg

2. If you have a suitable container that you can cut a hole out of, the immersion circulator (Anova is the biggest brand here) then this is the next step up. You fill the box with water, plug your wand in and set it off. About £130, plus a box.

https://www.amazon.co.uk/Anova-Culinary-Bluetooth-Precision-Cooker/dp/B00UKPBXM4/ref=sr_1_6?ie=UTF8&qid=1539679204&sr=8-6&keywords=anova

61rf%2B2tj07L._SL1000_.jpg

3. Or you go complete unit (absolute unit!) where the whole thing is self-contained. About £250. 

https://www.amazon.co.uk/SousVide-SVD-00101-Supreme-Water-Black/dp/B004CNT3M2/ref=sr_1_1?s=industrial&ie=UTF8&qid=1539680180&sr=1-1&keywords=sous+vide+supreme

SousVide SVD-00101 Supreme Demi Water Oven, Black

There does also seem to be an "Andrew James" (Amazon budget licensed range) model that I've not tried. https://www.amazon.co.uk/Andrew-James-Professional-Programmable-Non-Stick/dp/B017M53BRE/ref=sr_1_cc_3?s=aps&ie=UTF8&qid=1539680180&sr=1-3-catcorr&keywords=sous+vide+supreme

I've got all of these gadgets (oh yeah ladies, check out the water bath king, mmm yeah) and they all have similar results. If I'm honest the Uno option is fantastic if you have a slow cooker and well worth it.

Whichever way you go, you need a vacuum sealer to put the food in. They vary wildly in price.

Finally, you should have a read of this (sponsored) article from Serious Eats. https://www.seriouseats.com/2016/01/first-thing-to-cook-with-sous-vide-immersion-circulator-essential-recipes.html

Edited by Onyx2

• Paid Members

That's tremendous, thank you. I do have a (rarely used) Morphy Richards slow cooker, so that would probably be the best approach initially (plus 50 quid is a bit more realistic as an ask for Christmas). There seems to be a fair few 'budget' vacuum sealers with decent reviews about, so will give one of those a go in the first instance. 

• 2 weeks later...