The Food Thread

Devon Malcolm

This channel does some interesting videos with an expert explaining the differences between a cheap and an expensive version of food products.The funny thing with this video is I'm no bread expert, but just by simple visual analysis you can spot a cheap loaf vs an expensive one. Also he's called Jim Lahey, so my first thought was "Fuck off Lahey you drunk bastard".

Ā 

• Paid Members

I went to Wolverhampton for Fight Club Pro on Saturday, arriving at Birmingham Airport around 10.30am. Figuring that I had time to kill before treating myself to all the wondrous attractions of Wolverhampton, I decided I could get away with not actually arriving in Wolverhampton until around an hour before the show starts and still probably fit it all in.

I instead opted to go over to the equally exotic locale of Rugby, and meet up with my brother and niece to hang out and go for lunch. I opted for a vegetarian breakfast in the pub we went to. Veggie sausage, beans, egg, hash browns, mushrooms, tomato, toast. A few minutes later, the barmaid comes over and says they're out of veggie sausages, and asked if I minded just getting more of everything else instead. I said fine.

What I hadn't realised when they asked if I wanted "more", was just "we're going to give you the biggest single items of food you've ever seen". The photo doesĀ notĀ do it justice;

42948967_556030711502852_860800001472095

The fucking size of that tomato.Ā 

I felt like I was playing a Hobbit, and Peter Jackson had given me Ian McKellen's breakfast for a forced perspective shot.

It also led to me discovering that my seven year old niece's favourite joke in the world is from the Armando Iannucci Shows episode where he doesn't understand how to do stand-up;

"What's big and small at the same time?"
"A big egg".

I've never felt prouder.

I'm in Helsinki for work this week and the first couple of nights most of the group went to an Italian place and then a sushi buffet. Last night we delegated one guy to find us authentic Finnish food but not at Finnish prices.

We ended up at a place that had about 30 seats and was a buffet but with with the food cooked by a wee Finnish granny. The plate below looks terrible I'm sure but it was incredible. Reindeer, chicken, pork and lamb with anchovies all present here.

Edit: Pic not working, will try and sort that when I'm home!

Ā 

Edited by MungoChutney
Shit Flickr

• Paid Members

What's everyone's 'go to' meal? You know, when you can't think what to have for tea and you have that one favourite that you always fall back on.

Mine's fish fingers, chips and beans. I think I like fish fingers about 10 times more now than I did when I was a kid, to the point where I think about having it every night.

• Paid Members

I fucking love fish fingers. My daughter getting big enough to finish all the fish fingers in her Happy Meal is genuinely the worst thing that's ever happened.

My go-to is bangers and mash though. Peas and Gravy. I love mash and good quality sausages. it's easy and no-one moans about it. Heaven in our house.

• Paid Members
1 hour ago, tiger_rick said:

I fucking love fish fingers. My daughter getting big enough to finish all the fish fingers in her Happy Meal is genuinely the worst thing that's ever happened.

My go-to is bangers and mash though. Peas and Gravy. I love mash and good quality sausages. it's easy and no-one moans about it. Heaven in our house.

Definitely one of those 'If you don't like it then we need to check your hard drive' meals. Love sausage and mash.

1 hour ago, Devon Malcolm said:

What's everyone's 'go to' meal? You know, when you can't think what to have for tea and you have that one favourite that you always fall back on.

Mine's fish fingers, chips and beans. I think I like fish fingers about 10 times more now than I did when I was a kid, to the point where I think about having it every night.

Heinz Tomato Soup and a white bread peanut butter sandwich. Ā I bake my own breadĀ because I'm a middle class ponce, but apart from that it's a perfect store cupboard meal.

Edited by Loki
ponce

1 hour ago, Devon Malcolm said:

OOOOOH BIT OF CHEESE ON IS IT LAD....

No, but seriously, it's cheese on toast for me. It makes me instantly happy.