The Food Thread

Devon Malcolm

• Paid Members

Happy food?  A bacon barm with hp sauce and white pepper.  Smoked bacon as I’m not a girl or a virgin.

Edited by Thunderplex

• Paid Members
3 hours ago, Devon Malcolm said:

What's everyone's 'go to' meal? You know, when you can't think what to have for tea and you have that one favourite that you always fall back on.

Probably just a quick rice stir fry. Chicken, chop up some peppers and pouch of microwave rice. Nando's Peri Peri over the lot. Piece of piss and so quick.

• Moderators
8 hours ago, Devon Malcolm said:

What's everyone's 'go to' meal? You know, when you can't think what to have for tea and you have that one favourite that you always fall back on.

Mine's fish fingers, chips and beans. I think I like fish fingers about 10 times more now than I did when I was a kid, to the point where I think about having it every night.

Sausages and mash potato. Since moving to *spit* England (chose another pub rather than Rhyl), Ive been lucky enough to live in a small town with 5 quality butchers. So I always have quite the supply of sausage, oo-er sounds a bit rude. Combine that with my mash potato with far far far too much salted butter, salt and pepper in it and you have a fine meal. The best sasuage I find is the Olde English style as it has a bit of spice to it 

• Paid Members

I've really got into baking since we got the new house. We deliberately went for something with a more sociable kitchen and the nicer environment has awoken my love of cooking. Sorry if there is a baking thread but here are some of my bakes:

Coffee & Cinnamon cake - This came out really well. Was very moist and the flavour was subtle but recognisable.

image.png.de58efaee53efb1b6fd4332668fb7073.png

Wholemeal choc chip shortbread - These were really good. I made some shit Jam shorties the other night so I'm not claiming all my bakes are great but these were really tasty and the balance between crunch and lightness you need with shortbread was spot on - which is a complete fluke if I'm honest.

image.png.ae2605f3734a72f6ab42ebcc0444573a.png

Wholemeal bread rolls - First time I've made bread since school. Had a nice flavour but the dough was too dry so the shapes were odd and I completely forgot to glaze them. Good texture though I thought and I'm impartial. Soup was out of a tin, can't claim that one.

image.png.87012ef73b2735b71ac3b060df567ff8.png

Viennese biscuits dipped in chocolate - These were great biscuits although the piping is shit and the choc dip was a bit like ganache (my missus doesn't love dark choolate so I added milk and instead of lightening the chocolate, it just thickened it. Oops)

image.png.75a342a9e9e8bf3dc32c36625abc13be.png

Fairly basic Chocolate sandwich. Decent texture and flavour again and very moist. Was a bit stingy with the buttercream. Lesson learned.

image.png.54e437566875964707893ecc44da02d8.png

Saved the best for last. This was my first bake in the new house and my first ever lemon drizzle cake. It was superb. Ignore the fact that it looks like it was iced by a 5 year old, it was dense and had a brilliant flavour. Sharp and sweet. I think the fact this went so well is why I've really got into it! Tried it a couple of times since, once using a lighter spread instead of butter, a sweetener instead of sugar and orange instead of lemon and it came out flat as a pancake and had a horrible after taste. Fuck that, not doing that again.

image.png.25e0fec2765a92cb1fb7e569cba27e17.png

I'll leave it there although I've done more. Just invested in a mixer because its bloody hard work without one! If anyone wants any recipes, let me know. They're mostly online but a couple are from a decent cookbook.

I could definitely open a shop that only does biscuits I reckon. Any money in that? I'd call it The Three Biscuiteers just to make it really naff.

• Paid Members
15 hours ago, PowerButchi said:

Sausages and mash potato. Since moving to *spit* England (chose another pub rather than Rhyl), Ive been lucky enough to live in a small town with 5 quality butchers. So I always have quite the supply of sausage, oo-er sounds a bit rude. Combine that with my mash potato with far far far too much salted butter, salt and pepper in it and you have a fine meal. The best sasuage I find is the Olde English style as it has a bit of spice to it 

We've tried a few from the farmers market recently. They do a bramley apple one which is out of this world but we tried a cheddar and leek one recently that was superb and amazingly, my daughter (who likes fuck all) loved them.

• Paid Members

Some amazing-looking bakes there, rick. Particularly like the look of the chocolate shortbread and the chocolate sandwich, but they all look delicious. Nothing like a freshly-baked roll to go with soup, although I've never baked from scratch before - I just got those pre-baked petits pains from the supermarket (still great, though).

Would like to try my hand at baking at some point. In particular, want to try making soft cookies. A friend of mine who grew up in the US said that the secret to them is using honey instead of sugar. Anyone tried making them before?

• Awards Moderator
4 hours ago, Carbomb said:

Would like to try my hand at baking at some point. In particular, want to try making soft cookies. A friend of mine who grew up in the US said that the secret to them is using honey instead of sugar. 

This is the article for you. 

https://sweets.seriouseats.com/2013/12/the-food-lab-the-best-chocolate-chip-cookies.html

Cracking bakes there @tiger_rick. The trick with wholemeal bread is to cut it with 25% white bread flour. Wholemeal flour can be too dense by itself. 

• Paid Members
11 hours ago, Onyx2 said:

This is the article for you. 

https://sweets.seriouseats.com/2013/12/the-food-lab-the-best-chocolate-chip-cookies.html

Cracking bakes there @tiger_rick. The trick with wholemeal bread is to cut it with 25% white bread flour. Wholemeal flour can be too dense by itself. 

Thanks very much for that, Onyx! That's a cracking read. Now all I have to do is muster the bravery to give it a shot.

• Paid Members

Couple of bakes from the weekend. Double chocolate shortbread biscuits. I'm going to have to get some manly cutters because the only decent sized one I've got is a flower shape! These came out great. The ones on the lower shelf could have done with a bit more baking, they were a bit too dense. Maybe bake in two batches in future.

image.png.5a77b8d90adf40567c54e54aa6391f98.png

Classic Jam and Lemon tarts. My food processor arrived and I was looking for something to test it on, so I made some pastry dough. I went with a savoury dough with the filling being sweet and these were very nice. Burnt my mouth trying a warm one though!

image.png.6345dc96f904c6c08449cb459c9c7f41.png

Thanks for the advice on the bread @Onyx2 I was going to try it as a tester of the mixer function but I didn't have time yesterday for a couple of proofs!