Post a pic('s) of your pet thread

ajmcstyles

• Paid Members

I adopted this guy 6 years ago and he’s never been a lap cat. Last week he jumped on and just went to sleep! Made me so happy. He’s done it a few times since then too.

8AE567A1-42AE-46C1-8095-458BA23B7292.thumb.jpeg.7e68210fdc5931000d8f8f83db8a97ea.jpeg

The other one, however, was not very happy about it.

23AB2B6C-A704-4686-9656-45AC98D3050D.thumb.jpeg.26a198960fd4fc4db1e30342ad64ebe6.jpeg

• 2 weeks later...
  • Awards Moderator

Alfie’s got to be put down tomorrow. It’s come out of nowhere and whilst I was preparing myself for him to move out, I wasn’t expecting this. He’s not even my cat but for the last near-6 months he’s been my shadow and I’m absolutely gutted.

He’d been his usual playful self all week but yesterday morning, Natalie said he didn’t seem himself when she got up as he used to be everywhere and really hyper, but he just looked fed up and barely moved. She was out last night but when I got in from work, he was exactly the same and hadn’t eaten the tiniest piece of his meals. He wouldn’t come near me, would let out a little cry if I tried to pick him up and just lay in a little ball on the bed. When he finally tried to walk, he was leaning to one side, stumbling and kept bumping into things.

Dropped him off at the vet this morning and they’ve had him all day; they rang intermittently with updates on tests but they rang an hour or so ago to say it’s neurological and he’s probably really suffering. We’re going to collect him shortly so he can come home for one night (they’ve given him some meds to help him through the night), but he needs to be put to sleep tomorrow.

So here he is, the sleep assassin who’s been my best mate for half a year. I’m going to miss the daft little sod more than I ever imagined.

BA693EEF-F9A4-4A97-9797-58B70D1620D1.thumb.jpeg.02f382609ac3428b02cfe67b76a8f58b.jpeg

4CBE2B71-564D-4E67-9A77-43E4618EAF4E.thumb.jpeg.c475bfb14dd65a583ef7747845996a70.jpeg

Sorry to dampen the thread, but I feel more comfortable putting this here rather a social media pity-post. I’d normally keep anything like this to myself, but this has hit me for six.

• Paid Members

Aw, man - that's horrible. Really sorry that he's going through such a painful time, and even more so that there's only one recourse. He seems like such a sweet cat. 

But you know what? In the last months of his life, you were there. He could've ended up alone and unhappy, and instead he had you to make his life better, even if just for a short while.

• Awards Moderator

Thanks lads. Really appreciate the replies. I knew I’d be upset today but I didn’t brace myself for how it went down. He knew something was up and was really devoid of energy but when we told the vet the final decision, I just lost it. The poor thing went really peacefully with a little meow then he drifted away. But he had us by his side, so I know it’s what was right.

Anyway, I couldn’t do that again. No chance. But again, thanks for understanding how completely shit this is.

Having a big pint now. Cheers.

Edited by Frankie Crisp

• Paid Members
39 minutes ago, Frankie Crisp said:

Having a big pint now. Cheers.

Too right too. Sorry to hear about you loss. It's bloody horrible losing a pet, and what others have said about you giving that cat a happy life in his last few months is bang on. Hope you're holding up as well as you can in the circumstances. 

• Paid Members
1 hour ago, Frankie Crisp said:

Anyway, I couldn’t do that again. No chance. But again, thanks for understanding how completely shit this is.

I totally get that, mate. My girls are getting older now (9 and 8) and I often have a niggling thought coming to me that they're well past the half-way mark now. I'm not looking forward to it at all. If it's any consolation, and I doubt it is, try to build on the fact that it's now done, he went without suffering, and there's no suffering in store for him any longer. It'll take time, of course, and it's perfectly alright to feel terrible.

• Paid Members

I really feel for you Frankie and hope you take some time for yourself. Condolences on your loss.

Our cat is a rescue cat, we've had him for almost nine years, and we only have a rough idea of old he is but he's definitely past the halfway mark, and it's going to be tough to say goodbye when that day comes. We had a scare this year when he was ill for a week and we found out that he has a heart-palpation, with a scan next year to confirm anything else. I don't know what I'd do without the scamp. 

• Paid Members

Bloody hell Frankie, that’s horrible.  Some people don’t understand how pets become a big part of your family, often the main part of your family.  Unconditional love without explanation.  Really sorry to hear this.

• 2 weeks later...
  • Paid Members

My Mum's dog, Brandy. He's about 12-13. He's been a bit lonesome since her other dog passed away last year. 

DSC_0083.JPG

DSC_0074.JPG