Post a pic('s) of your pet thread

ajmcstyles

• Paid Members
1 hour ago, Carbomb said:

He's awesome! And good on you for giving him a better life after racing; many poor greyhounds aren't so lucky, with some of the scum owners out there who will do all sorts of horrible things just to get rid of them when the they've stopped being useful.

Yeah it's an awful business. Would make me  happy if we saw the end of it in my lifetime but it looks unlikely. They're such a sensitive and good-natured breed too, it's very sad.

Ozzy had an unusually long racing career and didn't retire until he was nearly 6, then he spent almost a year in kennels at The Greyhound Trust waiting to be re-homed. The other thing that makes me sad is that black greyhounds wait forever to find homes as they're apparently  not as Instagrammable as the other hounds. When we went to see him there was another dog there who had been re-homed but the family brought him back to the trust because he was "too boring". The breed sleeps 18 hours a day because they've been bred to produce a truly insane amount of explosive energy in a short burst and then spend the rest of the time recovering, They're not the dog for you if you want it to do tricks for your kids. The poor bugger's been carted around the country (and, in Ozzy's case, overseas) to run at 40mph and then kept in kennels to scrap with other dogs for sleeping space in between. Prolonged access to your couch is literally one of the best things that's ever happened to him. Let him enjoy his retirement ffs.

Edited by JLM

• Paid Members

They don’t eat a huge amount. Avout two mugs worth of kibble in the morning and again in the evening. Poured into a bowl that is, he’s not some kibble mug wanker. 

Also throw in some sardines, dentastix and other treats/stuff that’s good for the coat.

The food is greyhound-specific high protein kibble though, as the mass they do have on that skinny frame is all muscle (he still weighs 32kg as a result despite his skinny appearance) , you just lower the protein a bit from when they were racing.

He will try and eat anything and everything the rest of the time like any other doggo, but greyhounds don’t have a big enough stomach to eat much more than the two moderate feeds per day. Even the food he does eat you have to pour water on it to make it like cereal so it takes him a bit longer to wolf it down. They’re very prone to eating way too fast and being sick because of the small stomachs. 

This has gone long. I have become that guy who will talk about his dog ad nauseum. 

• Moderators
36 minutes ago, JLM said:

This has gone long. I have become that guy who will talk about his dog ad nauseum. 

Don't apologise! I love the enthusiasm of new pet owners. I remember it well, chewing off the ear of anyone who would listen. If you can't do it in this thread then where can you?

Speaking of which I thought I'd give a little update on Bess. Some of you guys may remember that early last year she had a really bad accident and we thought she might not even make it through the night. Then after a few weeks at the vetinary centre and some major surgery she came home, with some serious rehab to do. Less than a year on the recovery she has made is nothing short of astounding! You wouldn't believe that couldn't even walk some few months before. The slowest thing to return is her jumping (and her confidence to execute jumps), but even that is back now. We've been super lucky, and she picked up a new best mate along the way.

photo5906843848057926049.thumb.jpg.c9cb6676dd70e727d6ccfaa7751a0171.jpg

• Moderators

The most wonderful dog in the world had a heart attack this afternoon. It was scary as fuck. He just coughed and passed out in the garden for what was about 4 mionutes. I was in shcok thinking she was dead but she just perked up again, fine but worried. Taken her to vets and she's had an injection and come home with some tablets to take 3 times a day but they saaid "She's old, its just making her comfortable now as her heart is giving out". The thought of waking up one morning to realise my best friend might not be with me in the morning is a horrible one. She's a brave old lady though. She's sleeping it all off

dog.jpg

Edited by PowerButchi

• Paid Members

Sorry to hear that Butch, it's absolutely heart wrenching when you see them suffering. Here's hoping she can recover enough to still have a comfortable life for a long time to come. Thoughts are with you bud.