NXT - Post NXT Takeover discussion in progress

NEWM

The lack of people in normal clothes is baffling to me. Especially when they, as already mentioned, come out in full gear when they don’t even have a match. Do they really expect us to believe Randy Orton wears his trunks at all times. Middle of Aldi and you see Randall doing his weekly shop in his underpants, give over. 

The only possible explanation I can come up with is that plans can change last minute and no one wants to be caught out. 

“Fandango, you are wrestling Reigns in five minutes, oh you are in your own clothes? Never mind.”

14 minutes ago, Joe Blog said:

The lack of people in normal clothes is baffling to me. Especially when they, as already mentioned, come out in full gear when they don’t even have a match. Do they really expect us to believe Randy Orton wears his trunks at all times. Middle of Aldi and you see Randall doing his weekly shop in his underpants, give over. 

The only possible explanation I can come up with is that plans can change last minute and no one wants to be caught out. 

“Fandango, you are wrestling Reigns in five minutes, oh you are in your own clothes? Never mind.”

I assume Fandango goes over in that?

• Paid Members

I do remember an old episode of Smackdown, where they cut to someone backstage in the locker room, and Funaki was there lacing up his boots - then didn't have a match all show.

On one hand, it's sticking to the Randy Savage adage of "people aren't paying to see you on your day off" - but, on the other hand, your gimmick should be strong enough that you're still recognisably the same character while wearing your street clothes. Imagine if, instead of wearing expensive suits and Rolexes, Ric Flair was doing all his promos in his kecks? 

I never minded the trunks and a t-shirt look if someone is giving an interview for a match that's coming up shortly but totally agree that wrestlers should be wearing regular clothes more. They can still look like mega stars and don't have to be wearing trackies from the market or anything but something that fits their character. I don't even mind them wearing their own merch- Austin, Rock Triple H all used to wear their merch in promos, but there was still a clear difference between their promo clobber and when it came to bell time.

There needs to be more backstage promos where you've got Sami Zayn mooching around in the background eating a sandwich or AJ walking around the locker room with his hair tied up in a towel turban like everybody's mum used to do.

Even if they've got to hit their promo count for the show, there's a bundle of opportunities for a variety of different promo settings and styles, from catching a guy as he turns up to the arena, discussing tactics with a manager or tag partner, the aforementioned lacing of boots. Hell, look at this prime piece of sleaze from the master himself, Jake Roberts:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vPU0rrp9nOs

• Paid Members
7 hours ago, Joe Blog said:

That's surely the reason they do it, and it does bear scrutiny - I'd suggest at least 25-30% of matches on Raw & SD are booked on the fly during the show, if not higher.

From a kayfabe POV - I don't think it's that hard to believe that the GM instructs all in-ring competitors to be in their gear, ready to go, by the time the show goes on the air.

For some 'real' sporting context - literally thousands of college football players will suit up across America this Saturday & never make the field.

Whilst I don't disagree that it'd be nice to see people wearing something other than their gear when the situation warrants, I don't think it's entirely ludicrous that we don't.

• Paid Members
9 hours ago, Ambulance Chaser said:

Last week, Gulak came down during the melee at the end, firstly why was he there, 205 don't have matches on Raw, secondly why was he in full fucking ring attire :laugh: 

Astonishingly bad attention to detail for such a juggernaut of a company who could literally employ 10 people to ensure continuity and logic.

Gulak had been on Main Event, which is taped before Raw.