NXT - Post NXT Takeover discussion in progress

NEWM

I'm sure the builds for No Way Jose, Ember Moon, Cien, etc. all lasted for a fair while longer too. Not to mention this Sanity one that started at Takeover.

Edited by sj5522

My first reaction was "Wow, after those build videos this guy has just been made to look a totalĀ mug" after Joe battered him so quickly but it's a decent suggestion that the vignettes were to make Joe look all the more dangerous, not that I think he needed it. Joe looked a total animal, especially loved that visual of when he first got in the ring and the size difference between the two. No idea where Matha goes from here, might have been better for him to squash a jobber first and then have Joe destroy him.

Edited by cobra_gordo

• Awards Moderator

My first reaction was "Wow, after those build videos this guy has just been made to look a totalĀ mug" after Joe battered him so quickly but it's a decent suggestion that the vignettes were to make Joe look all the more dangerous, not that I think he needed it. Joe looked a total animal, especially loved that visual of when he first got in the ring and the size difference between the two. No idea where Matha goes from here, might have been better for him to squash a jobber first and then have Joe destroy him.

Ā 

It could potentially work in his favour, though. He's got something concrete to prove now he's been beaten up so easily, which makes any squashes he does more interesting than just 'look at how impressive this new bloke is'. It's almost the only way to make a guy that size an underdog - terrible first impression, big string of good victories, eventually leading to an actual match against Joe where he holds his own.

Maybe the Dan Matha build with the vignettes was all just to help build into the Joe story. That's what I thought right away. The vignettes looked fairly cheap and generic, not very committed to a guy who, while 6'8 looks extremely bland and has a weird spotty body. It would have seemed quite uncharacteristically low-rent of NXT to give this guy this monster push.

Exactly how I saw it.

Ā 

Matha, in the storyline, was Regal's 'grand signing' and 'future superstar' - his golden boy.

Of course, given his current beef with Regal, Joe was intent on spoiling that grand debt and taking Regal's 'boy'.

Ā 

It was all done to further the Joe-Regal-Nakamura storyline.

Ā 

They've only got 1 takeover to get through before the Mania one. I'm expecting the rush Ember Moon to the match but maybe not winning it in November. Liv could be in some sort of storyline failing that I really don't know what they've got to even keep her busy with minimal appearances. Not sure who I would bring down to feud with her in the meantime either.

I'd have thought they would do another Takeover before Wrestlemania. As they've just announced the Royal Rumble for the Alamodome in San Antonio, maybe get one that weekend at a nearby venue

Not sure if it's been mentioned but there is an NXT show in San Antonio the day before Royal Rumble. Obviously no announcement yet on if it's Takeover or TV taping like this year, or just a live event.

No idea where Matha goes from here, might have been better for him to squash a jobber first and then have Joe destroy him.

This. As Matha had basically done nothing, it did nothing for Joe to massacre him. It's confusing booking to squash your 6'8" monster (and people that size don't grow on trees) before his debut to further a storyline between Joe and Regal, since the whole payoff of the storyline is the rematch between Joe and Nakamura. If Joe went out and attacked anyone on the roster he'd have got more heat with Regal, it really didn't need to beĀ Matha.

Yeah, I just thought this was some fantastic booking. Knock a super quick introduction video for a couple of weeks to create Insta-buzz, then you've made somebody with an iota of credibility for Joe to knock about instead of some jobbers or some actual established talent.

Ā 

Ā 

They've only got 1 takeover to get through before the Mania one. I'm expecting the rush Ember Moon to the match but maybe not winning it in November. Liv could be in some sort of storyline failing that I really don't know what they've got to even keep her busy with minimal appearances. Not sure who I would bring down to feud with her in the meantime either.

I'd have thought they would do another Takeover before Wrestlemania. As they've just announced the Royal Rumble for the Alamodome in San Antonio, maybe get one that weekend at a nearby venue

Not sure if it's been mentioned but there is an NXT show in San Antonio the day before Royal Rumble. Obviously no announcement yet on if it's Takeover or TV taping like this year, or just a live event.

Ā 

Ā 

Seeing as its part of the Royal Rumble Travel Package one would have to think its a Takeover Special, especially for the price paid.Ā 

Earlier in the month, there was a video posted online of Hideo Itami apparently getting injured during a power slam spot. ProWrestlingSheet.com have confirmed that Itami suffered a neck injury and will possibly be out of action for several months. There are no other details on the injury other than it was neck-related. Itami just returned to action in June after being sidelined with a shoulder injury.

• Paid Members

Such a shame his NXT run has been a massive bust all round. He's never caught on and a second serious injury is the sewage icing on a shit cake.

Ā 

He looks great in a suit and that time he sat on a chair mid-ring and told both of the Ascension (I think) to bring it was fantastic. Nothing gone for him ever since.

Joe really bought it there "REEEEEEEEEGAAAAAAL!!!" and then his facial expression like Popeye chewing a wasp as he said "Nakamura" - my favourite wrestler. The ensuing brawl was great.

Ā 

Great episode for women's development. Nikki Cross really intriguing in the SANITY role and with the shots on Dillinger. Meanwhile, Peyton & Billie Kay are making strides drawing sympathy out of Liv Morgan

The entrance for SANITY came off really well. I like the look of EY, Wolfe & Nikki together - the other lad not so much.

Roode played his part well - that's going to be a really fun feud.Ā 

Ā 

Tino Sabatelli should be a decent heel for the brand going forward, great look, can't say the same for the guy that's just put Itami on the shelf

If Hideo really is out for several more months then surely that's game for him now ? There's only so much momentum you can lose before people just stop caring. It's such a shame, he had a cracking debut and was right up there with Finn Balor and Kevin Owens as an emerging superstar.

Ā 

He was one of my absolute favourites in Japan, too. I really hope things start going right for him, pronto.

Riddick Moss needs a haircut, that much is certain. Sanity's debut was interesting. Wasn't too keen on the entrance music and the spotlight, but at least it's different from the usual sing/clap along songs that everyone else seems to have these days. Glad EY is back, haven't seen much of his work in TNA so not sure how good he is in-ring but he's definitely got personality.

Edited by Tamura