NXT - Post NXT Takeover discussion in progress

NEWM

They need to stop with the Eva Marie project. If she wants to wrestle, great but she isn't anywhere near ready for TV.

Ā 

I can't say anything positive about her performance at Takeover or this week on NXT. She shows little to no emotion, looks lost and lacking confidence in ring, she just doesn't belong and I can't see things improving.

Ā 

The quality and talent in the Divas division ranges from pretty amazing to complete and utter dross but with Eva, I don't know,she just doesn't have it, she's in the wrong business, I just think wrestling's not for her.

Can someone have words with the Divas about their kicks? They all do that front-heel-kick and step back that looks clumsy and off-balance. It's like they've been trained watching WWE game sprites resetting back to their standing animation.

Ā 

The fact the ref botched the count was bad. The fact they left it in on a prerecorded show is worse. Just redo and dub. Then again, the Full Sail would probably start chanting "we just saw this!" or "don't fuck up!".

Ā 

Ā 

Whole show was dead.

• Paid Members

They need to stop with the Eva Marie project. If she wants to wrestle, great but she isn't anywhere near ready for TV.

Ā 

I can't say anything positive about her performance at Takeover or this week on NXT. She shows little to no emotion, looks lost and lacking confidence in ring, she just doesn't belong and I can't see things improving.

Ā 

The quality and talent in the Divas division ranges from pretty amazing to complete and utter dross but with Eva, I don't know,she just doesn't have it, she's in the wrong business, I just think wrestling's not for her.

I know the women's grappling in NXT is superior to the main roster and I'm far from an Eva Marie fan, but, let's not forget that NXT is still the developmental program. Fair enough she's not on Sasha/Becky/Bayley levels, but she has improved since the last time she was thrust on TV to wrestle.

Ā 

Also, just out of interest, how long have Sasha and Bayley been in NXT? Since the FCW days? Genuine question.

Edited by Nick James

• Paid Members

I'm in support of the Eva Marie experiment, although not particularly optimistic that she will succeed. She's already over as a heel, particularly at Full Sail, because of the type of acquisition that she was. If she can continue to improve to a point where she is passable in short matches and segments then she can become a decent heat drawing character.

People can argue all day about how bad she is, but in my opinion she is much better now than she used to be. So as long as she's heading in that direction it's all good.

Ā 

Regardless of how she executes moves, she is more over than most heels on the NXT roster judging by the crowd reactions. That always counts for something.

Ā 

I was a little surprised that she did the belt-around-the-waist gesture after beating Carmella at TakeOver though, this early into her push.

Edited by dopper

• Paid Members

NXT, while an awesome product, is mainly a developmental territory so Eva Marie being a bit shit on it isn't really worth shitting yourself over, as that's why she, and NXT, is there.

While right in theaory, in practice they've turned NXT into a separate promotion with TV, big shows and now tours so there is a requirement to be "ready". They also attract a crowd far more unforgiving than the main roster shows which amplifies the problem.

Ā 

I'm not sure how people are meant to develop now. Obviously NXT is still a place where you can try new things and make mistakes but it's not a great environment for someone who is not even green.

• Paid Members

Those saying that Eva Marie being terrible and on TV doesnā€™t matter because NXT is a development territory, that is true but NXT also run live, non-televised events. She doesnā€™t have to be on TV. WWE could have her hone her skills in the Performance Center and then on live events, where it wouldnā€™t matter if she puts on a stinker of a match or if the referee counts an accidental pin-fall.

There does seem to be a trend of throwing NXT Divas on TV before they have got their character/skills up to scratch.

Ā 

I remember last year when Becky Lynch debuted.

People shit all over her unconvincing Riverdance gimmick as a babyface, then it changed to a rock-chick type heel which only stretched as far as throwing up the devil horns after every single move, until she finally landed on her current gimmick with the cool entrance and intensity during the matches which fans have latched onto. She already had years of wrestling experience before arriving in NXT but was seemingly put on TV too soon.

Ā 

Now with Eva she also has one side of things covered (cocky-heel character), but the other side (in-ring skills) is not developed enough in many people's opinion.

• Paid Members

I remember last year when Becky Lynch debuted.

People shit all over her unconvincing Riverdance gimmick as a babyface, then it changed to a rock-chick type heel which only stretched as far as throwing up the devil horns after every single move, until she turned into Edge.

Ā 

Fixed!

• Paid Members

Of course she has to wrestle on TV. How's she going to learn to work the hard camera and things like that without TV experience?

There's more to wrestling than making sure you're facing the hard cam for a rest hold. I was meaning enhance the other 99% of her performance away from a camera.

• Moderators

You're grossly underestimating how important working for the cameras is in WWE. TV and Network Specials are WWE's life blood. Knowing how to work for TV is absolutely vital there. And experience in that will only be gained performing at TV tapings when they have the full camera set up. Knowing how to work for TV is far more than the laughable 1% which you credited it with.

Edited by PowerButchi

• Paid Members

If Eva Marie were there the same as the others, no-one would have any issue with her. But she's been given preferential treatment from day one and continues to get it. And if you don't think they'll put the title on her, even if she isn't ready (and I don't think she ever will be because she's just not an athlete in any way) then I don't know what to tell you.

Ā 

As for her being over as a heel, it's the kind of heat that will never draw money and, in fact, will lose you money because she's damaging to the business.