NXT - Post NXT Takeover discussion in progress

NEWM

• Moderators

even if she isn't ready (and I don't think she ever will be because she's just not an athlete in any way)

Athleticism in wrestling is grossly overrated. Look at Jerry Lawler. Greatest wrestler of all time, not aathletic at all.

• Paid Members

even if she isn't ready (and I don't think she ever will be because she's just not an athlete in any way)

Athleticism in wrestling is grossly overrated. Look at Jerry Lawler. Greatest wrestler of all time, not aathletic at all.

There's athleticism and there's athleticism. Lawyer is the kind of fella who could play rugby on a Saturday or football on a Sunday morning, whereas Eva Marie is the type of girl who has trouble crossing the road

• Moderators

That's a bit mean. There's a hint of hating her just because of the way she broke in without "paying dues" and it's making people overly harsh on her. For example, she played soccer in Uni, and women's football is serious business in the states, so that would signal to me some kind of athletic ability.

• Paid Members

I await her showing it. She seems like a decent girl, if a bit dim and controlled by her husbanager so I'd love to see her succeed. I just don't see it. Mind you, I was wrong about CM Punk so what do I know? (Lots. I know lots)

I think Eva should be doing more dark matches than on the show most weeks. Not that I expect everyone on the show to be absolutely top stuff, it's a bit comparable to the Bull Dempsey recent gimmick - it would have an effect if we didn't see them for ages and they just turned up one day 10x better (or leaner in Bull's case) it would just have a lot more effect than seeing every baby step.

As we've seen in some of that Balor footage a while back, you can practise the telly stuff while not actually being on telly

I defo wish her the best though, you don't see Cameron or Rosa jammin about in NXT training with Brian Kendrick

• Paid Members

You're grossly underestimating how important working for the cameras is in WWE. TV and Network Specials are WWE's life blood. Knowing how to work for TV is absolutely vital there. And experience in that will only be gained performing at TV tapings when they have the full camera set up. Knowing how to work for TV is far more than the laughable 1% which you credited it with.

So you’re allowed to make gross exaggerations but I’m not…?

You made it sound like that all that matters is knowing how to work in front of a camera. It’s not. At all. They’re wrestlers. They need to know how to wrestle and how to present their character. That doesn’t come with knowing which way to face a camera. That comes with being in wrestling matches in front of audiences. Those skills can be honed on live, non-televised events. Then when she’s competent, they could start putting her on NXT, in front of cameras, and work on that aspect of her.

I’m not disputing knowing how to work on TV is a big part of a televisual product like WWE, but that it’s part of a whole package.

Edited by Your Fight Site

• Awards Moderator

While the Eva Marie project's failings are self-evident (though I think she will convert that heat into proper heat along the way), I don't get the Blue Pants love at all. Is this just an indie joke?

Apollo Crews was pretty rotten too. He knows his set pieces but between those big moves he looked out of step and lost. For someone for whom they boast about having worldwide experience, he sure don't show it.

Enough about what us keyboard warriors most of whom have never set foot in a wrestling ring think, a certain WWE Hall of Famer and former WWE Champion predicts great things for Eva Marie:

WWE Hall of Famer Mick Foley does a great job of interacting with fans on social media and he’s not afraid to throw out opinions that aren’t always popular.

Following this week’s NXT, Foley went on Facebook to predict that Eva Marie will be in a great match at a big show within one year.

Here’s part of what he wrote:

WITHIN ONE YEAR ‪#‎WWE‬ Diva ‪#‎EvaMarie‬ will be in a great match at a big show with ‪#‎SashaBanks‬ ‪#‎BeckyLynch‬ ‪#‎MsCharlotte‬ ‪#‎Bayley‬ ‪#‎Natalya‬ or ‪#‎Paige‬ I’m not saying the match will be all her doing, but history doesn’t remember who came up with the ideas, or who carried the match; history remembers who was in it. And despite the problems she seems to have with some of her ‪#‎TotalDivas‬ co-stars, fellow wrestlers, and the heat – bordering on nuclear – that she has with some wrestling fans, Eva Marie’s improvement from week to week in recent matches has shown me she has the drive, determination, and that intangible “it” factor necessary to accomplish something special with one of the super-talented ladies of WWE/NXT.

He ended his discussion on Eva Marie predicting greatness one more time.

I’m not saying that Eva will be able to approach some of the masterpieces I’ve seen in the last 16 months – from Natalya/Charlotte to the Fatal 4 Way, to Bank’s statements (see what I did there) with Becky Lynch and Bayley. But within a year, one of those ladies is going to find themselves standing in the ring with the much maligned Eva Marie…and something great will happen.

eva-foley.jpg

Edited by dopper

• Paid Members

NXT, while an awesome product, is mainly a developmental territory so Eva Marie being a bit shit on it isn't really worth shitting yourself over, as that's why she, and NXT, is there.

Butch has been on fire in this thread — it boils down to this. They've been getting the product very right, especially at the top of the card, but this is the meat and potatoes of NXT.

While the Eva Marie project's failings are self-evident (though I think she will convert that heat into proper heat along the way), I don't get the Blue Pants love at all. Is this just an indie joke?

Apollo Crews was pretty rotten too. He knows his set pieces but between those big moves he looked out of step and lost. For someone for whom they boast about having worldwide experience, he sure don't show it.

Possibly a bit early in Crews' NXT career to talk about him being unimpressive. The guy has had two televised squash matches lasting less than 5 minutes each!

• Moderators

You're grossly underestimating how important working for the cameras is in WWE. TV and Network Specials are WWE's life blood. Knowing how to work for TV is absolutely vital there. And experience in that will only be gained performing at TV tapings when they have the full camera set up. Knowing how to work for TV is far more than the laughable 1% which you credited it with.

You made it sound like that all that matters is knowing how to work in front of a camera. It’s not. At all. 

No, I made it sound like wrestling for TV is important. Which it is. Stop being a plum. 

• Paid Members

You made it sound like that all that matters is knowing how to work in front of a camera. It’s not. At all. 

No, I made it sound like wrestling for TV is important. Which it is. Stop being a plum. 

How am I being a plum? Because I didn’t agree with your fleeting statement?

I never said learning to work in front of cameras wasn’t important. Just that it’s not everything.

• Moderators

And when did I say it was everything? In fact, when did I make a gross exaggeration like you claimed earlier in the thread? I intimated that it's important, which it is, and I said that she'll only get a feel for the presentation set up by wrestling in front of it, which is also true. I'm right and you're being a fucking plum. 

Edited by PowerButchi

• Paid Members

And when did I say it was everything? In fact, when did I make a gross exaggeration like you claimed earlier in the thread? I intimated that it's important, which it is, and I said that she'll only get a feel for the presentation set up by wrestling in front of it, which is also true. I'm right and you're being a fucking plum. 

Right, and when did I disagree with that? All I’m saying is that she has a way to go before being proficient in the ring, which could have been developed off-screen.

We’re not arguing different points here, so I don’t see why name-calling has to come into things other than to be argumentative for the sake of it.