Podcast Recommendations

Joey Joe Joe Jr

• Paid Members

I've started listening to That Was Genius which is a fun look at 2 history topics on a different theme each week. It's only an hour so doesn't drag at 30 minutes a story.

It's the first non wrestling podcast I've found and enjoyed enough to follow. 

On 9/6/2019 at 4:49 PM, Metallica said:

I have two comedy podcast recommendations which don't seem to be on here already (unless the search topic facility is just broken :p)

The Beef and Dairy Network Podcast - the number one podcast for those involved or just interested in the production of beef animals and dairy herds.

It's a spoof series about a range of different beef and dairy issues from buying a bull, whether there's such a thing as drinking too much milk and this episode featuring a beef and dairy radio call in quiz show - Beef Call.  There's a new episode every month and they're currently up to episode 50. I'd recommend listening from the start as there's quite a few running gags. It has an Alan Partridge / Richard Herring / Stewart Lee feel to it.

https://tmblr.co/ZdjvXj2d00lzV

Dear Joan & Jericha - a spoof agony aunt show with two agony aunts (Julia Davis and Vicki Pepperdine) giving terrible advice to the letters they've received from listeners (written themselves). 8 episodes so far and they're filthy and very funny.

https://player.fm/series/dear-joan-and-jericha-julia-davis-and-vicki-pepperdine

Both shows are also available on itunes and everywhere else.

Another funny show to add to my list is St Elwick's Neighbourhood Association Newsletter Podcast.

The premise for that is printing costs for the community's newsletter are too expensive after funding was cut so the guy decides to do a podcast version of the newsletter instead. Just give it a go, it's brilliant.

https://open.spotify.com/show/58IE9RObFYQ9d7Xke1GHeB

• 3 weeks later...

A few recommendations for stuff I've listened to over the past couple of weeks:

Have You Heard George's Podcast - As a white man in his 30's, I feel I may not be George The Poet's target audience for this but I'm all over it! He's reinventing the medium. This is how podcasts should be. Razor sharp, poetic and thought-provoking takes on race, class, music, crime and city life.

Radio Rental - Bizarre, scary, paranormal true stories, told by those who lived them. Presented by Rainn Wilson who plays the owner of a VHS rental store. I find his narrator bits in between the stories to be awful so I fast forward through them, but the stories themselves are pretty good. Some are better than others but there is some interesting stuff in there.

The Missing Cryptoqueen - BBC documentary podcast about Dr. Ruja Ignatova - the founder of the cryptocurrency OneCoin - who, once it was discovered that her multi billion dollar cryptocurrency was all a scam, did a runner and hasn't been since. It follows the people who were scammed out of their life saving, the people who still believe that they're going to get their money soon and the hunt for Dr. Ruja's whereabouts.

The Score: Bank Robber Diaries - Back in the 80's, Joe Loya was the "Beirut Bandit", he robbed 30 banks in 14 months. In this podcast he talks about his transformation from abusive childhood to prolific bank robber, violent convict, ex-con and writer. Very charismatic and knows how to tell a story!

Tom Neenan is Not All Men - Like if Alan Partridge made a podcast about feminism and inclusivity. Includes episode titles such as "How To Be a Disabled Ally" and "How Not To Sexually Harass Someone".

• 2 weeks later...
On 11/24/2019 at 8:10 PM, wordsfromlee said:

Tom Neenan is Not All Men - Like if Alan Partridge made a podcast about feminism and inclusivity. Includes episode titles such as "How To Be a Disabled Ally" and "How Not To Sexually Harass Someone".

Yeah that's a good one! You should check out The Beef and Dairy Network podcast too, Tom has been on that and Benjamin from Beef and Dairy was on the most recent ep of Not All Men....also listen to the Newsletter podcast I mentioned in my post. It's all  the same kind of absurd humour as Tom Neenan.

On 12/4/2019 at 7:32 PM, Metallica said:

Yeah that's a good one! You should check out The Beef and Dairy Network podcast too, Tom has been on that and Benjamin from Beef and Dairy was on the most recent ep of Not All Men....also listen to the Newsletter podcast I mentioned in my post. It's all  the same kind of absurd humour as Tom Neenan.

Yeah I’ve listened to the Newsletter. It’s very good. I’m a big fan of Mike Wozniak and I love all the cameos from people in Man Down. 

• 3 weeks later...
  • Awards Moderator

I've resolved to read more in 2020. The biggest obstacle to that is listening to podcasts on my commute, so I've been very harsh and restricted my feeds to six on a one in, one out policy. Here's what made the cut:

Screenshot_20191230-151002_DoggCatcher.thumb.jpg.b89f30f8c18ce0cdd63c108a6fd73a84.jpg

Kermode and Mayo is still the most interesting film review show going for getting a taste of what's mainstream and just under that. Kermode has his tastes and he's consistent enough to understand from that whether I'd like a film or not. 

Adam Buxton has an excellent guest list, not the same rotation of standups that everyone else does. His shows always generate reading lists for me. 

Wrestle Me is great fun, and short too. 

RHLSTP is the king of the anarchic interview format. 

Off Menu is too funny. Talking about food opens people up so much and in interesting ways. Both this and Horne Section are also intermittent so I won't have them as distractions too often. 

I adore everything Alex Horne is in. Just absolutely tickles me. 

Edited by Onyx2

Has anyone else found Gossip Mongers? It's 3 people reading out scurrilous and usually obscenely biological bits of local scandal that get sent in, then they choose one and the girl has to shout it out of the window to unsuspecting passers-by.

It's the opposite of sophisticated comedy, but it is bloody hilarious.