The cookery thread

Philo_Vance

• Paid Members

I think this is the appropriate post. I have one of these Sous Vide Wand

It's not been used for a while, just don't get a chance to Sous Vide anymore. I also have a bag of mini ping pong balls for water regulation. I am offering it for free, all I ask is you cover the postage which I guess will be about £5. If you are interested send me a PM and if there are a few of you I will do a random draw thingy.

• Paid Members

My Wife and I are starting to eat healthier tomorrow in the hopes of not being obese still this time next year and we're looking for some nice healthy suggestions for decent meals that aren't just "fish and veg" or "chicken and veg" as we've got a few of those combos already lined up. Also substitutes for things.
We've heard Vegan Mayo is a healthier substitute for Mayo and tastes as good if not better so we're gonna try that, but we're looking for a good substitute for chips to go with our Linda McCartney Burgers (only 243 calories!).
We're cutting all bad snacks out, and my go-to healthy snack is organic peanut butter and apples but would like to expand that past "fruit or veg" as again, we'll be eating a lot of that in meals so I don't want to be eating it between.

We've found some nice recipes online but I've seen some of the things you lot make and bet you have some good stuff. Also for your healthy bunch, some tips of what to avoid and what to look more into. Cheers!

Edited by FelatioLips

• Paid Members
8 minutes ago, Chest Rockwell said:

@FelatioLips you ever had those 'energy balls' as a snack? That might be a way to mix it up and they're easy enough to make..

I haven’t! Got a recipe?

Oh nevermind I stopped being lazy and googled it, they look great thanks!

Thanks Hannibal for the sweet potato fries idea!

Edited by FelatioLips

• Paid Members

@FelatioLips crispy chickpeas are a great, low fat, little snack and couldn’t be easier to make.  Drain a tin or two of chickpeas, then pat them dry or leave them on a baking sheet for an hour to air dry, you don’t want them going in to the oven wet or they’ll steam. Toss them in a dash of olive oil and throw in a bit of salt, pour on to a baking sheet and stick them in the oven at 200c for half an hour or so then sprinkle whatever spices you want on them as soon as they come out. If you store them in an airtight jar then they should last a good week but they’re very moreish so that’s unlikely.
They go really well with a beer but I’m guessing you’ll be trying to cut back on that too...

Another treat that I used to make was dark chocolate dipped fruit, a little goes a really long way and you can use a high % cocoa (lower sugar) chocolate as the natural sweetness of the fruit offsets the bitterness of the chocolate. Bananas and strawberries are particularly tasty. 

Edited by stumobir

• Paid Members

I made this Shepherds Pie yesterday from one of the YouTube channels @Onyx2posted in the YouTube recipe thread. Bloody lovely. 

Did chuckle watching the video when the guy said to make the mash less wet so it holds better and then made it exactly how I make it normally. I don't like sloppy mash. 

CollageMaker_2021131182646407.jpg