Minor news items that don't deserve a thread

Richie Freebird

• Paid Members

Yeah, I thought Rosa was the one rumoured to be sleeping with Hayes too. Didn't the daft old sod jokingly offer to buy her a drink once she got out of rehab, too? The charmer.

I wouldn't be surprised if Alicia Fox is just generally well-liked, and prepared to do just about any old shit asked of her. Sometimes that's all it takes.

• Paid Members

Re that musclebuster thing on Jack Evans: I always had that version down as THE original musclebuster, and that Joe's version was simply his modification to make it safe for use in mainstream wrestling companies. Prior to Joe using it, the only version I'd ever seen was that body-jarring one. This was further confirmed for me in video games, including the one done by King in the Tekken series.

• Paid Members

Yeah, same here Carbs. I think the first time I saw it was in a wrestling game, probably one of the earlier Smackdowns, before Joe started using it. And it was the same variation as you mention.

• Paid Members
11 minutes ago, Merzbow said:

The Muscle Buster was a move made famous by some japanese cartoon "Kinnikuman", I don't think it was used in real life until after that.

Kinnikuman was Ultimate Muscle in English, right?

Likewise, I knew the movie from the video games and assumed Joe's version was modifying it so that it didn't utterly ruin the guy taking it.

Hopefully Jack's fine and it was just a scary shock - he's a top bloke, and has become one of my favourites through his heel work on Lucha Underground and the Fight Club Pro weekender. The amount of insane shit that lad's done, though, I'm constantly amazed he's still going.

Ultimate Muscle was a sequel but yeah, same series. I think the original just called Muscle was big in America, they had a bunch of Monster in my Pocket like toys which I always want when I see them.

Jack's been great in LU, younger guys have surpassed him when it comes to the mad flippy floppy style but his character has kept him in the loop and I'd rather watch him than Puma etc now.

Remember watching Jack take a powerbomb from inside the ring straight to the floor in ROH well over 10 years ago. One of the gnarliest things I've ever seen. If he has taken a bad one, it's awful, but I'm surprised it didn't happen years ago.

• Paid Members
26 minutes ago, Merzbow said:

Ultimate Muscle was a sequel but yeah, same series. I think the original just called Muscle was big in America, they had a bunch of Monster in my Pocket like toys which I always want when I see them.

Muscle Men! Shit, I forgot all about those. I had a bunch of them when I was a kid. If I recall, they were a generic pastel colour, unlike Monster In My Pocket. I never knew they were inspired by a tv show or film.

2 hours ago, IANdrewDiceClay said:

Jack Evans has no bones, though, so I'm sure he was fine.

I'd got to thinking that way over the years a little bit!

That's one of the reasons this weekend was so shocking to be honest. If this was a work, it's in shocking taste, especially since it's not a kick in the arse away from the Mysterio/ Perro incident.

• Paid Members

I think the reason people are saying it was a work is that Evans was seen back and walking around fine after the show - it's possible that he was just checked over and told that he'd be alright if he just took it easy, or whatever. Unless Meltz has something else on it, I don't think that's enough to write it off as a work. It also doesn't strike me as something Konnan would book - Konnan's booking The Crash, right?

And my first question almost any time someone claims a seemingly shoot incident is a work - where's the payoff? Not only that, but if Jack Evans can sell well enough to convince people he's seriously hurt and having a legit seizure, why hasn't he been doing that for the past fifteen years?