Documentary Thread #2

Egg Shen

• Paid Members

Bobby Fischer Against the World (2011)

'Bobby Fischer Against the World' is a documentary feature exploring the tragic and bizarre life of the late chess master Bobby Fischer. The drama of Bobby Fischer's career was undeniable, from his troubled childhood, to his rock star status as World Champion and Cold War icon, to his life as a fugitive on the run. This film explores one of the most infamous and mysterious characters of the 20th century.

Fischer is just nuts in this and it's not funny nuts. It's scary, aggressive nuts. Nothing likeable about the chap at all. Seemed a thoroughly disgusting, horrible person.

Regarding those ESPN 30 for 30 shorts, there's a great one where Muhammed Ali goes to Iraq to free American soldiers from Saddam Hussein in 1990 and bloody manages to do it.

"Ali: The MIssion"

Edited by bAzTNM#1

I just finished watching the Roger Ebert doc Life Itself and I'd recommend it to anyone, regardless if you care deeply about film and film criticism or not. Watching Ebert smiling and joking around with his loved ones despite his health declining warmed my heart. Get the tissues ready for this one.

Having watched Chris Bell's Pescription Thugs and Bigger Stronger Faster:The Side Effects of Being American (both of which are very good by the way), I noticed there was another one that he had made call ed Trophy Kids which focuses on a number of children, ranging from a young girl golfer to teenagers playing Badketbsll and American Football, and the parents who push them to "be their best and achieve their dreams". Or more accurately, live vicariously through their kids to achieve the sporting goals that they never did. There's one woman who has twin boys that play tennis, and she plays the God card an awful lot even going so far as to say that God will take the credit for the boys' achievements. Ofcourse, all the parents are expert coaches in their relevant spot and are completely oblivious to their children wanting to be children.

In one scene after the little girl golfer, who I think was either 8 or 9 years old, hits a shot not quite straight, her dad (who was caddying for her) throws a great hissyfit before laying into her-

"God dammit! Shit! Just hit the ball straight like you were instructed to! God has given you the tools now use them! What do you think we're out here for? You only get one shot"

before them starts hitting the bag of golf clubs. She then has a shot to chip onto the green, which she overshoots, cue more temper tantrums from dad as he forces a pitching wedge into her hands telling her

"get it on the green or I'm going to get upset".

Later on in the doc, the girl is losing to a young Japanese player who has sponsors and the whole none yards. Dad's theory as to why the Asian kids are so good?-

"they whoop their fucking ass, can't do that in America man, you go to jail for that. You see the little McDonalds thing on their shirt? They're sponsored by McDonald's. That's the difference, they're sponsored and they get their ass whooped"

He then finishes with this blinder

Thats why Tiger [Woods] so fucking good, because back in the 70s you could whoop your kids ass and not go to jail"

It's fascinating viewing yet completely barmy at the same time. It's on Netflix for anyone who wants to check it out Edited by WyattSheepMask

• Paid Members

Bobby Fischer Against the World (2011)

'Bobby Fischer Against the World' is a documentary feature exploring the tragic and bizarre life of the late chess master Bobby Fischer. The drama of Bobby Fischer's career was undeniable, from his troubled childhood, to his rock star status as World Champion and Cold War icon, to his life as a fugitive on the run. This film explores one of the most infamous and mysterious characters of the 20th century.

Fischer is just nuts in this and it's not funny nuts. It's scary, aggressive nuts. Nothing likeable about the chap at all. Seemed a thoroughly disgusting, horrible person.

Superb documentary, although I thought there was scope for a bit more detail, especially regarding when he moved to Iceland.

I watched Cropsey recently and thought it was utter shite. It was barely about the Cropsey legend at all and was really shockingly made. A real let-down.

I've watched three really good ones lately about the Vietnam War - Sir No Sir, The Fog Of War and Last Days In Vietnam are all worth tracking down.

• Paid Members

Cropsey gets loads of plaudits and ends up on 'best documentary' lists. It's a bit of a low budget affair and i enjoyed it cause i love that kind of story, but i agree that it's probably not worth the credit it gets.

• Paid Members

It was about Cropsey for about 10 minutes and then it was about just general child abductions on Staten Island? It was Broomfield-esque in how irrelevant and shit it was.

• Paid Members

Where To Invade Next - The latest film from Michael Moore has a really misleading title. I was expecting another expose into US foreign policy & was nicely surprised to find a gentle, funny film about social policies, workers rights & public services. Your enjoyment of this will 100% depend on your opinion of Moore going in. I find him likeable, witty & have enjoyed his previous films so it's preaching to the converted but this is a far lighter affair than 'Bowling For Columbine' & 'Farenheit 9/11'.  Moore travels around Europe (Italy, Norway, Germany, Portugal Finland...not here!) to look at the most successful Western examples of higher education, employment rights, prison & rehabilitation & drug policy then compares it to the US alternative, or lack thereof.

You'll pretty much know if you're going to like it before going in but if you want a documentary that wont leave you reaching for the razor blades after it's finished I'd recommend it.

• 4 weeks later...

I couldn't believe in 'Amy' where she wisely took a break from music to go with her Dad to Barbados for rest & relaxation away from the media and spotlight after overdoing the drink & drugs ... and he brought along a film crew for a show he was making about being Amy Winehouse's Dad!

He seemed to welcome and actually seek out media attention on him and his daughter, when that was the biggest thing that sent her over the edge.