Documentary Thread #2

Egg Shen

• Paid Members

Really enjoyed The Wolfpack about a family of seven kids who were confined to their apartment in New York by their father and pass their days lovingly recreating scenes from their favourite films and dancing to Tarzan Boy...

Just finished this. Was I the only one who thought this was going to end in either the dad killing the boys or the boys killing the dad?

Very sad tale of pure abuse.

That new Louis Theroux documentary on alcoholism was superb. Joe's story especially broke my heart. He seems like such a likable man.

I also saw a Nick Bloomfield documentary called Sex: My British Job. While it did highlight the plight of sex workers being abused and manipulated in illegal brothels, it felt exploitative. Bloomfield sends a journalist to brothel. The journalist is equipped with a hidden camera. She then proceeds to get abused and bullied by the owner during the duration of her stay, whilst Bloomfield does nothing but collect the footage and tries to council the woman in the most uncaring manner possible. I'm sure there's better documentaries about the sex industry than this.

• Paid Members

Aye, something not right about that documentary. He should have pulled the woman out of there when they started to beat her up in the house. Telling her to go back in and continue it was just not right.

I've got "Sex: The Annabelle Chong Story" still to watch. From what I've read about it, it seems a bit grim.

Edited by bAzTNM#1

• Paid Members

Aye, something not right about that documentary. He should have pulled the woman out of there when they started to beat her up in the house. Telling her to go back in and continue it was just not right.

I've got "Sex: The Annabelle Chong Story" still to watch. From what I've read about it, it seems a bit grim.

It is grim. The scene where a family member is sobbing in the background is heartbreaking.

• Paid Members

With the news that ESPN are making a 30 for 30 about the XFL here is the one they made about the USFL - http://www.dailymotion.com/video/x373ctw

Donald Trump is, surprisingly, a massive cockend in it.

That was excellent - thanks for that.

One of my favourite 30 for 30s is the one about SMU.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NALWkl4U5o8

• Paid Members

It is grim. The scene where a family member is sobbing in the background is heartbreaking.
I might be mis-remembering it, but doesn't she go back to her old school and it got really creepy? "What are you doing with yourself now? (as if I haven't been jacking like a loon to your videos)"

That's the one.

• Paid Members

Watched these recently and they were great:

Turtle Power - The Definitive History of the Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles (2014) - self explanatory.

Bobby Fischer Against the World (2011)

'Bobby Fischer Against the World' is a documentary feature exploring the tragic and bizarre life of the late chess master Bobby Fischer. The drama of Bobby Fischer's career was undeniable, from his troubled childhood, to his rock star status as World Champion and Cold War icon, to his life as a fugitive on the run. This film explores one of the most infamous and mysterious characters of the 20th century.