Royal Rumble Discussion Thread

Whiskey_Jim

• Replies 528
  • Created
  • Last Reply
I'm sure this is stupid wishful thinking, but could you imagine if Punk and Barrett start having their Nexus groups have a go at each other over the next couple of weeks, leading to the crowd being absolutely desperate to see them feud. The Rumble comes and both groups seemingly battle each other, eliminating everyone and being eliminated themselves until it's Punk and Barrett. They turn to face each other and go nose to nose before shaking hands and declaring themselves co-winners, revealing it was a plan all along and they're both going to WrestleMania as #1 contenders.

Could Punk not have just helped Barrett win that cage match the other week, then all of Nexus helped Punk win the Rumble and he just challenge the Smackdown champion?

Yes but that is WAY less cool.

Just kidding. I take your point, although it's not as if WWE often subscribe to logic in storylines.

EDIT: also, this way they have a presence on Smackdown as well in Gabriel and Slater, though I know that's clutching at straws.

DOUBLE EDIT: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FQlIS0Jlub4#t=11m12s <-- the HHH/Batista tease I referred to

• Paid Members

I'm well excited about 40 participants- the more the merrier I say. It just gives them more scope to further existing angles and set up new ones. Hopefully it will also allow for some surprise entrants and some comedy moments, which shouldn't distract too much from the main stories of the match.

I'm hoping for at least 10 "surprise" wrestlers, alumni off the circuit, for nice nostalgia pops. How about, completely off the top of my head

Sandman

Gangrel

Godfather

Boogeyman

Eugene

Tatanka

Animal

Big Bossman

Barbarian

Marty Jannetty

I'm hoping for at least 10 "surprise" wrestlers, alumni off the circuit, for nice nostalgia pops. How about, completely off the top of my head

Sandman

Gangrel

Godfather

Boogeyman

Eugene

Tatanka

Animal

Big Bossman

Barbarian

Marty Jannetty

Yeah, I'm hoping Owen Hart might drop in too.

• Awards Moderator

Sandman

Gangrel

Godfather

Boogeyman

Eugene

Tatanka

Animal

Big Bossman

Barbarian

Marty Jannetty

Yeah, I'm hoping Owen Hart might drop in too.

Don't joke about these things - with the 40-man rule in effect, there's a good chance this is Bossman's year.

nodq.com

The following 21 WWE Superstars have been announced by WWE.com as competitors in the first-ever 40-Man Royal Rumble Match, which takes place Jan. 30 in Boston.

* Alberto Del Rio

* CM Punk

* Cody Rhodes

* Daniel Bryan

* Darren Young

* David Hart Smith

* David Otunga

* Husky Harris

* John Cena

* John Morrison

* Mark Henry

* Michael McGillicutty

* Primo

* R-Truth

* Rey Mysterio

* Sheamus

* Ted DiBiase

* Tyson Kidd

* William Regal

* Yoshi Tatsu

* Zack Ryder

• Paid Members
* Primo

* William Regal

* Yoshi Tatsu

* Zack Ryder

You can tell they have 40 spots to fill. Last year guys with as low a profile as theirs would have been losing qualifying matches on Raw or SmackDown. Which incidentally is the biggest slap in the face imaginable.

"Yeah, other than the men actually challenging for the titles at the PPV, we're going to underline that don't even make the top thirty possible contenders. THIRTY guys are better than you."

• Paid Members

Shit, I did as well.

RAW spoiler :

<-- click on 'spoiler' to show/hide the spoiler

Wasn't he even considered superfluous for the "Henry throws everyone out" segment on Raw?" Although it was nice to see the "Mark Henry could win it" tradition observed...

[close spoiler]

");document.close();

Seriously, I'd assumed some of these guys had been released.

Archived