Royal Rumble Discussion Thread

Whiskey_Jim

• Replies 528
  • Created
  • Last Reply
40 instead of 30 entrants is hardly ground breaking. Infact it will probably hinder the Rumble. The gap between entrants will probably be taken down to one every minute or something. Or worse still, two entering at once.

Didn't the entrances go down from 2 minutes to 1 minute for the year that Davey Boy and Michaels went all the way in 1995? That Rumble flew by, and the gap did seem really short. They must have settled on 90 seconds after that.

• Paid Members
40 instead of 30 entrants is hardly ground breaking. Infact it will probably hinder the Rumble. The gap between entrants will probably be taken down to one every minute or something. Or worse still, two entering at once.

You get more wrestlers in a usually compelling match. Who cares if it isn't grown breaking? Not many things in entertainment are ground breaking, but that shouldn't stop anyone's enjoyment. 40 Men after 21 years of 30 men might be a shakeup it needs.

Anyone think they'll wheel Bret out for this? They seemed to have tried to name check all the old PPV's and shows and arenas he was famous for back in the day (SummerSlam, Madison Square Garden, Anniversary Raw, WrestleMania etc). I imagine it would be a nice little Piper-esque pop, and I'm sure he could easily do the Mr. Perfect of 1993 "dragged off the apron from outside" spot to safely make sure he isnt harmed when getting eliminated.

I much preferred it when it was 2 minutes inbetween entrants. I feel it was knocked down to 90 seconds so that the bookers could get away with a total lack of scripting effort. It has become a case of 30 seconds to enter, 30 seconds of busting out a few good moves and getting knocked down, then the last 30 seconds an elimination, -- next entrant, rinse and repeat.

Whilst I'm at it. It also has grated me in recent years where people fueding come out one after another, they don't even split the people by say 3 or 4 entrants to make it surprising.

As for the 40 entrants, I think it's only been increased to fit the gash Nexus wrestlers in it. Imagine if the Rumble was to still be 30, of which Nexus connected members took up 8 places.

According to WWE.com it's still going to be every 90 seconds

This is good news. If they're clever they can put two guys over quite easily. One can win, and the other can break the time record simply by virtue that it should be a longer than usual match. A Daniel Bryan, Dolph Ziggler or CM Punk type could benefit tremendously from being able to boast that. In fact, the idea of Punk losing but still being able to say "I lasted longer than anyone in Royal Rumble history and yet still my greatness goes unrecognised" is something I could really imagine working. It'll never happen, of course.

• Paid Members
I feel like a little kid again hearing that! Fuck me, I might even pay for it!

Same and I have only ever bought about 3 PPVs.

Same and I have NEVER bought a PPV myself before.

Already decided I was going to watch this live anyway, my first PPV in years, but knowing there will be 40 entrants will surely make it all the more worthwhile!

I'm sure this is stupid wishful thinking, but could you imagine if Punk and Barrett start having their Nexus groups have a go at each other over the next couple of weeks, leading to the crowd being absolutely desperate to see them feud. The Rumble comes and both groups seemingly battle each other, eliminating everyone and being eliminated themselves until it's Punk and Barrett. They turn to face each other and go nose to nose before shaking hands and declaring themselves co-winners, revealing it was a plan all along and they're both going to WrestleMania as #1 contenders.

Fantasy booking I know, but it could work. Think something along the lines of the November 22nd 2004 RAW with Evolution and the false Batista face turn.

Archived