Comic Book and Superhero movie & TV discussion.

Bellenda Carlisle

• Paid Members

I want to see that 'Superman Lives' documentary so badly!

<-- click on 'spoiler' to show/hide the spoiler

So, after the news of the next Hulk Movie being based on the 'Planet Hulk' comic I watched the animated version on Netflix last night. As a non-reader of comic books the first thing that struck me was the complete lack of Bruce Banner?!? Surely this wouldn't work as a live action film, it'd just be a complete CGI fest? Or am I missing something?

[close spoiler]

");document.close();

• Paid Members
I want to see that 'Superman Lives' documentary so badly!

So, after the news of the next Hulk Movie being based on the 'Planet Hulk' comic I watched the animated version on Netflix last night. As a non-reader of comic books the first thing that struck me was the complete lack of Bruce Banner?!? Surely this wouldn't work as a live action film, it'd just be a complete CGI fest? Or am I missing something?

[close spoiler]

");document.close();

God knows why they have chosen that storyline. It was awful. Only positive is that it led to the World War Hulk arc.

[close spoiler]

");document.close();

• Paid Members

Things aren't looking good for the Justice League movie

Apparently the script they were going to use has been tossed and now the film is pretty much at square one, meanwhile Marvel goes from strength to strength and starts working on Avengers phase 3.

It's a shame, I hope this gets made right eventually and does justice to the great source material, I hope Man of Steel is huge, if it's not I don't think Justice League will ever see the light of day.

[close spoiler]

");document.close();

It's a weird storyline and certainly doesn't make the most of the Hulk and all his quirks, it kind of morphs him into a different character, like a planetary Conan which is not what he is. Having seen the classic Hulk on earth vs the army twice in the last 10 years and vs the abomination though, I think it would be cool to see a really different Hulk movie but this isn't my favourite storyline at all. Can't see it happening actually, it would look like Hulk in John Carter.

[close spoiler]

");document.close();
Edited by Steve 'Big' Jobs

• Awards Moderator
Things aren't looking good for the Justice League movie

Apparently the script they were going to use has been tossed and now the film is pretty much at square one, meanwhile Marvel goes from strength to strength and starts working on Avengers phase 3.

It's a shame, I hope this gets made right eventually and does justice to the great source material, I hope Man of Steel is huge, if it's not I don't think Justice League will ever see the light of day.

[close spoiler]

");document.close();

It's a weird storyline and certainly doesn't make the most of the Hulk and all his quirks, it kind of morphs him into a different character, like a planetary Conan which is not what he is. Having seen the classic Hulk on earth vs the army twice in the last 10 years and vs the abomination though, I think it would be cool to see a really different Hulk movie but this isn't my favourite storyline at all. Can't see it happening actually, it would look like Hulk in John Carter.

[close spoiler]

");document.close();

I've actually read Planet Hulk - I haven't read many comics - and though I know it has no connections to it in paper form (at least none I can pick up on), perhaps they've chosen it because of Guardians Of The Galaxy becoming a film. That one is meant to 'expand' the universe to include loads more alien stuff, so perhaps Hulk On Another Planet is an extension of that, or a way to introduce a new extra-terrestrial threat for Avengers 3?

Please don't destroy me for thinking this, I don't know much about comics and am a humble casual fan...

[close spoiler]

");document.close();

• Moderators

The Justice League movie will never, ever happen. It's the Ghostbusters 3 of superhero movies. DC's movie division is such a hilarious shambles. While Marvel have this 'phase one' 'phase two' etc set-up, widening their universe and raking in billions, DC's phases consist of rebooting Superman and Batman again, and fannying about with stuff that never gets made or is shit.

Honestly, this time I thought that wouldn't happen, PURELY because Avengers made so much money that it would seem nonsensical for them not to put at least something out. However, with this script rewrite, I'm confident that Astro is bang on and that Justice League flounders around for a few years before being dropped in favour of new Batman and Man of Steel 2.

[close spoiler]

");document.close();

I get the feeling it's a neccessary evil to bring us to the World War Hulk storyline for the third Avengers film. Which would be pretty good all things considered.

[close spoiler]

");document.close();

• Paid Members

In the first place, I felt if Ryan Reynolds was going to be Green Lantern, he should've been Kyle Rayner. Don't know whom I'd have had playing Hal. Either way, though, I wanted Chwietel Ejiofor playing John Stewart, who's the GL I'd have had in JL.

Superman - well, if Henry Cavill does a good job, I'd say him.

Batman - not sure. Obviously can't be Bale.

Wonder Woman - difficult. If she wasn't so wooden, I'd say Gina Carano.

The Flash - If he wasn't so over-exposed in superhero movies, I'd say Chris Evans. As it is, probably give it to an unknown.

• Paid Members
Wonder Woman - difficult. If she wasn't so wooden, I'd say Gina Carano.

Did you know she's fucking Henry Cavill in real life? Maybe he can put a good word in with the producers for you.

reg_634.carano.cavill.ls.11013.jpg

I think Wonder Woman is one of the hardest characters to cast, she has to be beautiful, tough and commanding. She's way too old now but I think 10 years ago Charlize Theron would've been great, tall, pretty face but cold and tough, good actress too.

Ryan Reynolds would've been a better Flash than Green Lantern, they should've made that instead, they fucked themselves up badly with the GL film.

Henry Cavill I have every cionfidence will be the best Superman ever.

I don't love the films but Bale was a great choice for Batman, whoever plays him next has big shoes to fill and I hope he's very different.

• Paid Members

Heh, talk about coincidences, I didn't know that at all.

Actually, now I think about it, you know who would make a pretty good Wonder Woman? Angelina Jolie. Yes, she's mainstream as hell, but she's statuesque, beautiful and is good at playing an ass-kicker. Either her or Kate Beckinsale.

Sorry to come in late and apologies if already mentioned. But I heard a rumour a long way back that Hollywood wanted to do the film 'civil war' from the rather awesome graphic novel of the same name. It does feature pretty much every superhero, but the most prominent in it are the ones featured in avengers assemble so with a small amount of story change, could be a huge and amazing movie. Also if you haven't read it, read it already!!!