Comic Book and Superhero movie & TV discussion.

Bellenda Carlisle

• Paid Members
According to THR, Paul Giamatti is in talks to play the villain known as The Rhino, etc. etc. etc, Jamie Foxx as Electro, Shailene Woodley as Mary Jane Watsonm, Dane DeHaan as Harry Osborne, Sally Field as Aunt May and Martin Sheen as Uncle Ben.

Paul Giamatti is indeed weird casting, I think it will work though, I'd be worried if it was Chris Nolan casting him as Rhino as he'd probably turn the character into a businessman with no resemblance to the comics but the first reboot Spidey was great and it doesn't matter how small and tubby Paul is when he's in a powersuit, the fact that he's a good credible actor makes it interesting.

Superman Unbound

These DC cartoons are the best, I'm so glad they keep churning them out, it's an extra treat when they're based on a comic I've read too (which is more often than not) I also like the fact that they're not all done in the same style, I guess eventually they'll all be done in the style of the artists that drew them (like the Dark Knight Returns was) but for now it's cool the different animation styles.

Saw trailers for both Man of Steel and the new Iron Man at the cinema the other day.

I wasn't really too pumped for Man of Steel before but I'm starting to get a taste for it I think. Not sure I'll make a trip to the cinema for it though, unless it's getting rave reviews.

Iron Man trailer looked good, but no sign of the Extremis storyline in the trailer. Doesn't mean it won't be in the film, but I hope it makes up a significant part of the plot. Mandarin looked cool. This one will almost certainly be worth seeing on the big screen.

The Extremis stuff could definitely be in somehow, Rebecca Hall has been cast as Maya. I'm really excited for Iron man 3. Don't mind the new suit, there's so many by now in various media. Gotta keep those new toys coming haven't they?

• Paid Members
Superman.png

I saw this a couple of days ago, it's incredible, anyone who's read more than a couple of my posts (or has seen my sig and avatar) knows I adore Superman and Nic Cage, before these were revealed there was only one blurry pic of him trying on the suit, these ones are amazing. I'm so fascinated by this film -I'd love to see a documentary on it.

what's the story then? i just read Cage was paid $20million for the project even though it never got finished, what went down?

• Paid Members

Emily VanCamp will play the role of Sharon Carter in Captain America: The Winter Soldier.

Thoughts? Honestly all I can say is 'Meh'.

Also, if anyone is in Montreal, they are looking for a ton of people to be extras in the new X-men film.

• Paid Members
what's the story then? i just read Cage was paid $20million for the project even though it never got finished, what went down?

Cage was signed up to a deal where he would get paid regardless of if the film was completed or not. Him and Tim Burton signed on based on a script treatment by Kevin Smith (although Cage is a massive Superman fan and probably would have signed on no matter who was writing)

Once Burton had signed on he bought his own people on to totally re write the film and it got lost in development hell with Burton wanting a totally different film to the producers. Jon Peters the producer who Smith is talking about is the producer on Man Of Steel as well i think

• Paid Members

Cage was signed up to a deal where he would get paid regardless of if the film was completed or not. Him and Tim Burton signed on based on a script treatment by Kevin Smith (although Cage is a massive Superman fan and probably would have signed on no matter who was writing)

Once Burton had signed on he bought his own people on to totally re write the film and it got lost in development hell with Burton wanting a totally different film to the producers. Jon Peters the producer who Smith is talking about is the producer on Man Of Steel as well i think

Really is a good thing Burton didn't get to do it in the end. The famous theme would've probably been re-done to sound like a Victorian nursery music-box, Lois Lane would've been some quirky little goth and Lex Luthor would've been wearing a frilly cravat and shirt. All taking place at night or during days with grey or sepia skies.

• Paid Members
Really is a good thing Burton didn't get to do it in the end. The famous theme would've probably been re-done to sound like a Victorian nursery music-box, Lois Lane would've been some quirky little goth Helena Bonham-Carter...

You know that's true.

I figured the two would be interchangeable. Oh, and Lex Luthor would be played by Johnny Depp.

Very exciting Possible Huge Spoilers for Avengers 2 and Marvel Phase 3 underneath from Latino-review.com who have a pretty good track record.

<-- click on 'spoiler' to show/hide the spoiler

According to Latino-Review, Marvel's The Avengers 2 will see Mark Ruffalo's Hulk shipped off Earth by the MCU's (Marvel Cinematic Universe) version of the Illuminati. That means one of Marvel's Phase 3 movies would be a live-action Planet Hulk film. (Marvel Studios boss Kevin Feige recently revealed that Ant-Man and Doctor Strange would also be Phase 3 movies.)

But that's not all. The Hulk would return in The Avengers 3 for a big screen version of the comics' World War Hulk storyline.

Lending credence to these rumors is that fact that Feige teased a Planet Hulk movie in November. "I don't think there's a lot that we couldn't do someday, as the cinematic universe continues to grow and expand and get as big as the comic book universe," Feige told MTV at the time. "Planet Hulk is a cool story. World War Hulk is a cool story."

[close spoiler]

");document.close();
Edited by iamtheman

• Paid Members
The tweet from the DCU movie page doesn't say where they got them from though. But Jon schnepp (director/ producer of Metlocalypse) has a kickstarter at the moment to raise funds for a documentary about the Burton/Cage Superman that looks pretty interesting

Introduction video!

Really is a good thing Burton didn't get to do it in the end. The famous theme would've probably been re-done to sound like a Victorian nursery music-box, Lois Lane would've been some quirky little goth Helena Bonham-Carter...

You know that's true.

I figured the two would be interchangeable. Oh, and Lex Luthor would be played by Johnny Depp.

Nothing wrong with Johnny Depp playing Lex Luthor.

Tim Burton didn't meet Helena Bonham Carter til 2001 when he directed Planet of the Apes, as his Superman film was due to be made in the 1997 to be released in 1998 she wouldn't have been in it. Also he was doing Mars Attacks at the time and with Planet of the Apes coming a couple of years later he was veering slightly from what he was/became known for, so as fun as it is to make jokes about it it wouldn't have been "Superman goes goth" and might have been something pretty interesting. Unfortunately Tim Burton he is just a hideous parody of himself who panders to the emo kids that worship him.

I think the reason this film is still talked about years later is because although loads of films get scrapped before getting made, Superman lives got so far into production. It was cast (Sandra Bullock as Lois Lane), it had a script (Braniac was the villain), I've seen loads of production art, sample costumes of various types etc. I'd love to see a documentary on it, especially if it had Cage and Burton etc talking on it.

I feel exactly how John Schnepp feels when talking about it in the video for his kickstarter for making the documentary. 15 years after it would've happened I wish I could just stick the DVD of Superman Lives on now.

The trailer Iamtheman posted is brilliant, it gets me excited for a movie that never happened, it shows dozens of pics of set and character designs and stuff, everyone should watch it.