Comic Book and Superhero movie & TV discussion.

Bellenda Carlisle

• Paid Members
still to watch:

Batman - Mask of the Phatasm

Batman & Mr Freeze - SubZero

Batman: Year One

Batman - Mystery Of the Batwoman

You're in for a treat. mask Of The Phatasm is so goddamn good.

I found Year One incredibly underwhelming though.

• Paid Members
Have got The Dark Knight Returns - Part 1 to watch, but I'm currently making my way through Season 2 of The Avengers: Earth's Mightiest Heroes and want to see to the end of that first.

It's a brilliant little series, can't see why Series 1 is being shown at 7:00am Saturdays on CITV, I think there is a wider audience for it, of an older age group, at a different time.

Anyone know when we may get to see series three in the UK?

• Paid Members

I thought there was no series 3 of Earth's mightiest heroes? It's a great show anyway, it's so action packed it's actually insane. The fights with Kang are a thing of choreographed cartoon violence beauty, I love that show.

I agree with this, I love the DC animated movies but this one wasn't the best, not enough Batman for my liking. Batman Gotham Knight was a bit disappointing too, I still think we have yet to get the definitive perfect Batman movie (animated or live action).

Here's my list of Batman movies

1) The Dark Knight Returns - Part 1

2) The Dark Knight

3) Justice League: Doom

4) Batman/Superman Public Enemies

5) Batman Returns

6) Batman: Under the Red Hood

7) Batman and Mr. Freeze - Sub Zero

8) Batman Begins

9) Batman: Mask Of The Phatasm

10) Batman/Superman: Apocalypse

11) Batman (Burton)

12) Batman (60's version)

13) Batman: Year one

14) Batman and Robin

15) Batman Gotham Knight

16) Batman Forever

17) The Dark Knight Rises (I'm not being a Troll, I really hated this film)

still to watch:

Batman: Mask of the Phantasm is a must see. There's one scene in it which is one of the best from any Batman media.

Have got The Dark Knight Returns - Part 1 to watch, but I'm currently making my way through Season 2 of The Avengers: Earth's Mightiest Heroes and want to see to the end of that first.

It's a brilliant little series, can't see why Series 1 is being shown at 7:00am Saturdays on CITV, I think there is a wider audience for it, of an older age group, at a different time.

Anyone know when we may get to see series three in the UK?

There isn't going to be one, it got cancelled to be replaced by Avengers Assemble.

I'll have a think about the best Batman movies and try to come up with a top ten of my own.

Edited by The Natural

• Paid Members
There isn't going to be one, it got cancelled to be replaced by Avengers Assemble.

Sounds like Avengers Assemble might be a continuation of EMH, so there is some hope that it won't start afresh, and build on what was a cracking show:

"On Saturday, July 14, 2012 Loeb, Head of Marvel Television, stated at the 2012 Marvel Television Presents panel at San Diego Comic-Con that The Avengers: Earth's Mightiest Heroes hasn't been canceled as Avengers Assemble is being viewed as "a continuation of that series." Specifics of the transition/continuation between the two series have not been revealed at this time."

Finished Series 2 of EMH last night (albeit one episode missing), don't read if you don't want to hear spoilers/questions/my thoughts.

<-- click on 'spoiler' to show/hide the spoiler

No cliffhanger at the end, but it didn't exactly feel finished if that makes sense?

I thought the battle with Galactus was awesome, how all the heroes came together in their time of greatest need. They really put across how much of a destructive force he is. The ending felt rushed though, they could have spanned the story over 3 episodes easily. Do people think it dampened down the impact Galactus should have had (not read much about him)? Is he the be-all-end-all baddie, or is someone like Thanos the most powerfull?

Is Galactus the one who is linked to the Silver Surfer, kind of his master who gets him to check out prospective planets to consume, if I understand correctly?

Loved the 'New Avengers' episode, they would make a great spin-off team. I thought that they wouldn't have had access to some of the X-Men though like in the movie franchises, but with Wolvie in there i'm guessing not. Did they miss out on not including some other crossovers (Beast)?

Also being new to comics in gerneral, it was the first exposure I had to The Vision. He is one Badass mo-fo isn't he?

Is the Winter Solider episode a condensed version of the Capt America comic Winter Solider, that will be the next in his film series?

[close spoiler]

");document.close();

Didn't enjoy The Dark Knight Returns - Part 1 as much as some of you have, but yes it was good.

I have quite a few other animated films/series now lined up to watch. Any ones I should tackle first, or a particular order?

Wolverine & The X-Men tv series

X-Men Anime series

Thundercats Anime series

Iron Man Anime series

Wolverine Anime series

Justice League: Doom

Justice League: Crisis on 2 Earths

Superman/Batman: Public Enemies

Superman/Batman: Apocalypse

BATMAN:MASK OF THE PHANTASM

WONDER: WOMAN

SUPERMAN: LAST SON OF KRYPTON

BATMAN: MYSTERY OF THE BATWOMAN

Batman: Under the Red Hood

Doctor Strange

Any major ones i'm missing? Apart from TDKR1, have also seen Superman: Doomsday

• Paid Members
I have quite a few other animated films/series now lined up to watch. Any ones I should tackle first, or a particular order?

I'm much more of a DC guy than a Marvel one (although obviously as a comic fan I have lots of love for Marvel too) so the following ones are my favourites

Doom would be a good one to watch first.

Superman/Batman: Apocalypse is good too but it does feature some pretty out there stuff along with a Superman and Supergirl shopping montage which is a bit odd.

You missed out Justice League: New Frontier which is really good, it's set in the 50s and is probably the most serious one and plays a bit more like a mainstream Superhero movie whereas the others have all the craziness of the comics.

About the Avengers EMH

<-- click on 'spoiler' to show/hide the spoiler

Galactus is the one who is linked to Silver surfer (he was tragically portrayed as a cloud in the Fantastic Four movie) He's one of my all time favourite characters and I was so happy to see him in the cartoon, he is pretty much the most powerful character in comics, it did feel a bit rushed but I was just glad they did him, I was hoping for it the whole time.

The Winter Soldier is pretty much a condensed slightly changed version of the Winter Soldier storyline from the Captain America comics, It's a great storyline, I recommend reading it, especially as like you said, the next Cap film will be based on it. The Vision has always been cool, in the comics and in that cartoon, I really think Kang stole the show in series one though, the fight scenes with him are insane.

[close spoiler]

");document.close();

Another one you missed out from your list of cartoons is Hulk VS Thor and Hulk VS Wolverine, they're available together and seperately on DVD and they're a fun watch, they're about 40-45 minutes each, they're fairly straightforward one is Hulk fighting Wolverine and in the other one he has some serious beef with Thor, definitely worth checking out.

There's a Planet Hulk feature length cartoon too which is a good adaptation of the story, it's not my favourite storyline as I think it's not the best most classic interpretation of the Hulk - I love the Hulk, I just prefer a simpler "Hulk Smash" kind of Hulk. It's worth a watch though.

I've seen the Wonder Woman cartoon ages ago and remember it being pretty good, I'm gonna rewatch it this afternoon so if it blows me away I'll let you know.

• Paid Members
still to watch:

Batman: Mask of the Phantasm is a must see. There's one scene in it which is one of the best from any Batman media.

Which scene would that be?

Every Joker scene in it is incredible. But it also has the first time that Bruce puts on the Batman mask which is something missing from all the live action films and it's a really amazing moment.

• Paid Members

Thanks for your post Steve. Think I do have both 'Hulk vs' cartoons, so will give them a spin. It helps to know they are shorter ones. I don't have Planet Hulk or JL:NF, so will have to search them out.

I've not sought out much animated Green Lantern stuff, possibly due to the film. It wasn't that bad, I just didn't take to it. Are any of those worth getting? Have been watching Batman - The Brave And The Bold on C5, and perhaps it's the way they are presented as a bit one dimensional compared to say the X-Men, but its swayed me more towards Marvel. How do you rate that series if you have seen it. Too kid friendly to be taken seriously I guess?

I have a stack of Marvel books to read as well, but the ammount of TV (comic related and otherwise) I have to get through is massive, and it seems to take priority. Need to sort myself out in that sense. I think there are some massively good reads i'm missing out on. I also guess that due to the EMH stories, that most of the books I have, being the more popular titles, are stories i'll know the outcome of now.

• Paid Members

Batman Brave and the Bold is kid friendly but don't judge a book by it's cover, there's loads of stuff there for adult comic fans, my big passion in comics has always been 1980s DC stuff and lesser known DC characters as that's what I grew up with and seeing characters like Booster Gold, OMAC, Plastic Man and Mister Miracle in Brave and the Bold really made it for me, you seem to be pretty new to comics but for me as a lifelong DC fan there's so much to enjoy, it's fun and over the top but that's why I love it.

I don't know how much you've seen but series one is pretty much for kids but by series three they must've known more adults were watching it as it gradually changes to the point where the last few episodes are really strange and subversive, I really recommend it, there's a lot more than there appears on the surface. Also Aquaman is hilarious in it, it's worth watching for him alone.

I liked Green Lantern: First Flight (the first Green Lantern feature length cartoon), it's a pretty basic origin story but it's a good watch if you're at all interested in Green Lantern as a character, probably wouldn't get you into him if you dislike him though, They did a sequel - Green Lantern: Emerald Knights which is more like an anthology with several different stories about various Green Lanterns, I preferred that one as I'm a die hard comic fan I already knew the origin and stuff it was a bit more interesting and unusual to see the weirder characters. There's a series too but unfortunately I haven't caught any of it yet, I'd probably like it.

• Paid Members

Wolverine & The X-Men tv series

X-Men Anime series

Thundercats Anime series

Iron Man Anime series

Wolverine Anime series

Superman/Batman: Apocalypse

BATMAN:MASK OF THE PHANTASM

WONDER: WOMAN

SUPERMAN: LAST SON OF KRYPTON

BATMAN: MYSTERY OF THE BATWOMAN

Batman: Under the Red Hood

Doctor Strange

Any major ones i'm missing? Apart from TDKR1, have also seen Superman: Doomsday

Thundercats Anime, if its the one shown on Cartoon Network, is rubbish. I find a lot of the Anime series very hard to watch and enjoy. Don't think I have seen the other series you mentioned.

Series two of EMH seems to have begun on Disney XD as of yesterday. Animation quality seems to have dropped off a little bit. Still very good though.

• Paid Members

First pic of Ben Kingsley as the Mandarin in Iron Man 3.

Looks pretty cool, I prefer a more physical villain for my superheroes but it's great he's not fighting another guy in a power suit, for anyone who doesn't know Mandarin is considered Iron Man's arch nemesis, crazy it took 3 films for him to be used.

Mandarin_810x472.jpg

• Paid Members

Looks pretty cool, I prefer a more physical villain for my superheroes but it's great he's not fighting another guy in a power suit

You don't think so? I got the clear impression from the trailer that Mandarin steals Iron Man's armour, in particular the Iron Patriot style suit..

• Paid Members

Looks pretty cool, I prefer a more physical villain for my superheroes but it's great he's not fighting another guy in a power suit

You don't think so? I got the clear impression from the trailer that Mandarin steals Iron Man's armour, in particular the Iron Patriot style suit..
Pretty sure tha'ts what happened, The scene with the armour getting Pepper in bed and punching a hole through the side of a plane make it quite obvious. Probably link back to the US government wanting the armour in Iron Man 2, getting the Iron Patriot / War Machine armour after the events in the Avengers and then that sly foreigner Ben Kingsley nabbing it to use with his chav sovereign rings