Comic Book and Superhero movie & TV discussion.

Bellenda Carlisle

Wachowskis rumoured for Justice League movie

Interesting rumour, I would like to see a big name director (or team) handle this project, I know the Wachowskis have wanted to make a movie of Plastic Man (one of my favourite characters) since before they even did the Matrix so they'd probably be up for it. Speed Racer was pretty cool visually so I think it would probably be in ok hands.

Think it would be a hard project to fit in one film, Marvel did it so perfectly with the Avengers and the lead up films, the whole Justice League being introduced in one go and giving everyone time to do their thing would be a hard feat to pull off.

They're planning to do the same as Marvel did, with a series of single character films (Man of Steel, Batman reboot etc.) leading into a Justice League film.

ABC have picked up Joss Whedons SHEILD TV show

more info

Sounds really swish. SPOILER - Highlight the black box to read

A shame Agent Coulson died though, he probably would have made a decent lead in the TV Show

<-- click on 'spoiler' to show/hide the spoiler

It's never really been 100% said that he was dead. It was hinted that he was, from the shot, but from what I remember, (after the whole guilt tripping avengers into forming thing) nobody ever 100% said, "Agent Coulson is dead."

[close spoiler]

");document.close();

• 3 weeks later...
  • Paid Members

Didn't know whether to put it here or in the dvds you watched recently thread but I watched the brand new

Batman - The Dark Knight Returns animated movie last night. My review is spoiler free.

It's based on Frank Miller's legendary 80s graphic novel about Batman returning to action in his old age.

It's in 2 parts unfortunately with the other part coming out around Christmas, part one stands well on it's own though & it seemed to last for ages.

It's absolutely brilliant, the experiment of bringing the comic to life DEFINITELY worked, they replicated Miller's art style which I was hoping they would do, they even used the same 80s looking character designs which was great and gave it that 80s/post apocalyptic punk future vibe that I've always loved. It also had a Drive style 80s synth soundtrack which added another level of enjoyment on top of the gripping story, solid voice acting & fantastic animation.

It was pretty grown up in pace which is good because it was a comic for adults back in the day. I can't recommend it highly enough, Peter Weller's voice might be a touch too soft for Batman for my tastes but it still worked well. The care and detail that went into this movie are all visible on screen, I always said the feature length cartoons were for the purists & the live action movies were for everyone and this continues the trend with style, they even recreated famous panels from the comic on screen, I hope they do "The Killing Joke" next replicating Brian Bolland's gorgeous artwork.

Dark Knight Rises disappointed me so much, a director trying to squeeze as many twists as he could into his boring bloated movie that didn't seem to understand the character it was supposed to be about, The Dark Knight Returns did the returning retired Batman story in an epic atmospheric way it's probably the best Batman film ever and I can't wait for part two!

• Paid Members

Great to hear a positive review of The Dark Knight Returns. Its probably my favourite graphic novel so its nice to read they do it justice. I've got the blu-ray on pre order at Amazon but they don't ship until release date so its going to be a while til I see it.

• Paid Members
Great to hear a positive review of The Dark Knight Returns. Its probably my favourite graphic novel so its nice to read they do it justice. I've got the blu-ray on pre order at Amazon but they don't ship until release date so its going to be a while til I see it.

Let me know what you think.

Like a couple of other guys said Dark Knight Returns was never my favourite story either, I'm too much of a purist to fully accept the liberties taken with the characters- but having said that, it is good, it's definitely a classic and seeing how well it was lovingly adapted into the cartoon made me feel all warm and fuzzy inside.

• Paid Members

Avengers spoiler below:

Sounds like Marvel have edited

Agent Coulson's death scene

[close spoiler]

");document.close(); in the UK release.

Is it true, and why? Could they be considering

bringing him back and wanted to make it seem less likely he is dead

[close spoiler]

");document.close();, or is it just

to water it down for home viewing?

[close spoiler]

");document.close();

Source http://spinoff.comicbookresources.com/2012...-k-dvd-release/

Avengers spoiler below:

Sounds like Marvel have edited

Agent Coulson's death scene

[close spoiler]

");document.close(); in the UK release.

Is it true, and why? Could they be considering

bringing him back and wanted to make it seem less likely he is dead

[close spoiler]

");document.close();, or is it just

to water it down for home viewing?

[close spoiler]

");document.close();

Source http://spinoff.comicbookresources.com/2012...-k-dvd-release/

Its a cock up on disney's end.They say the version without the spear is the same that was in cinema's even though it clearly wasn't and marvel themselves have said it was . Hell the schwarma post credit scene is there so how can it be. this is marvels statement

Thanks to those of you who have let us know about an issue on the Marvel Avengers Assemble UK Blu-ray and DVD release, which has a less graphic depiction of Agent Coulson's confrontation with Loki. Each country has its own compliance issues relative to depictions of violence. Unfortunately, another region’s elements were inadvertently used to create the UK in home release which minimally altered this scene in the film. We thank our fans for their vigilance in recognizing this and apologize for the mix up.

Disney take over and there is an immediate fuck up. Loads of folk thought this would happen. They've done this before with american releases getting more than other countries

[close spoiler]

");document.close();

People are also annoyed at the lack of whedon commentary but they got the master disc to create the release a month earlier than america and whedon hadn't recorded the commentary by then. They have said (disney) that people should just import the us blu ray which is region free.

Edited by iamtheman