Comic Book and Superhero movie & TV discussion.

Bellenda Carlisle

4 minutes ago, Devon Malcolm said:

It was good because it stood up for itself and you didn't need any background knowledge to the characters and it was a really good actioner. Typical that it bombed, really.

I think what helped with it was the actual tension that the "Superheroes" might actually be in danger and could die.  Superhero stuff tends to be rather totalitarian and fascistic but this didn't try and hide that.  Consider it added to my top 5.

• Paid Members
10 minutes ago, Keith Houchen said:

How come the X Men aren't in the latest Marvel ones, it is because they've already got their own franchise and like a Glinner tweet it would be 140 characters too many?

During one of the many, many times Marvel nearly went bankrupt they would sell off anything they could ( they were a comic company so would throw out licences to anyone that would have them. As far as they were concerned it was all money they wouldn't get otherwise)

so Fox got Xmen, Sony got Spider-Man, Universal got Hulk and Marvel were left with a bunch of characters that no one saw any money in, like Iron-Man. 

Marvel then self financed the first film themselves and made one of the most successful indepedent films of all time. They are now trying to get all their rights back.

the contracts are insane though. The best example is the Fantastic Four licence. There has never been a successful FF film but they keep making them, because if they don't, they lose the licence. It's madness  and led to the wonderful Roger Corman version that was made with the intention of never being released  

2 minutes ago, chokeout said:

It's madness  and led to the wonderful Roger Corman version that was made with the intention of never being released

I'd heard about that and didn't know if it was true, thanks for the info on that!

• Paid Members
9 hours ago, Keith Houchen said:

I'd heard about that and didn't know if it was true, thanks for the info on that!

Oh yeah it's real alright and on YouTube and bloody awful but a fascinating curiosity.

• Paid Members

I watched Dredd at the cinema and it's maybe the only time I was gutted I didn't spend the extra coin to see a film in 3D. Aside from it being good fun, there are a couple of really beautiful scenes in that film that you can tell were made specifically for 3D audiences.

There was talks of Netflix or Amazon throwing money at a sequel because it, apparently, found some popularity on the streaming platforms.

Edited by ColinBollocks

• Paid Members
28 minutes ago, DEF said:

Oh yeah it's real alright and on YouTube and bloody awful but a fascinating curiosity.

i'd argue its still the best adaption of the work as well.A cracking documentary about it used to be on Amazon prime. Seemed no-one knew it wasn't going to be released except the studio. They got the cast to do press events and cons leading up to it believing this was going to be their big break

Edited by Hannibal Scorch

• Paid Members
31 minutes ago, ColinBollocks said:

I watched Dredd at the cinema and it's maybe the only time I was gutted I didn't spend the extra coin to see a film in 3D. Aside from it being good fun, there are a couple of really beautiful scenes in that film that you can tell were made specifically for 3D audiences.

There was talks of Netflix or Amazon throwing money at a sequel because it, apparently, found some popularity on the streaming platforms.

There is a Mega City One TV series in the works, and by all accounts, they are trying to get Cark Urban to reprise his role of Dredd. I honestly can't wait until it is released!

I went to watch Antman and the Wasp on Wednesday and really enjoyed it, though I seem to have forgotten most of what happened in the last film 🙈

Can I ask about postcredit scenes? We had to leave quickly as it was late and we were hungry and wanted to grab food before the resteraunt closed. We saw the midcredit scene, was there one right at the end of the credits too?

• Paid Members
4 minutes ago, deathrey said:

I went to watch Antman and the Wasp on Wednesday and really enjoyed it, though I seem to have forgotten most of what happened in the last film 🙈

Can I ask about postcredit scenes? We had to leave quickly as it was late and we were hungry and wanted to grab food before the resteraunt closed. We saw the midcredit scene, was there one right at the end of the credits too?

There was one at the end but it was only a really minor thing

it was just that big ant playing drums for a sec

• Paid Members

I saw AMATW yesterday too. Lots of fun, good little palate-cleanser following all the big-time stuff of Infinity War. Also, Hannah John-Kamen is absolutely gorgeous and gives Evangeline Lilly a run for her money.

• Paid Members

http://www.darkhorizons.com/swamp-thing-to-be-a-hard-r-and-practical/

Apparently the new Swamp Thing TV series is going to be very violent, very weird, very scary and Swamp Thing himself will be a practical costume. All great news. Looking forward to Doom Patrol too. I hope because they're a bit weirder and they're not on the CW network they don't have the same soap opera vibe as Arrow and Flash.