Wrestling Books

Bring Back Minipops

• Paid Members

To save this post and mean I haven't bumped the topic for nothing, I've just picked up Dominator Stu Allen's book, along with The Saturday Afternoon War by Tony Earnshaw from Wrestling Heritage which looks like a nice little archive that'll sit nicely alongside The Wrestling & Have a Good Week...

Has anyone picked up the two new Meltzer books of Observer reprints?

Edited by CoreyVandal
was originally about a deal on Amazon thats already gone

1 hour ago, CoreyVandal said:

To save this post and mean I haven't bumped the topic for nothing, I've just picked up Dominator Stu Allen's book, along with The Saturday Afternoon War by Tony Earnshaw from Wrestling Heritage which looks like a nice little archive that'll sit nicely alongside The Wrestling & Have a Good Week...

I would have been well up for reading Stu's new book but i just looked on amazon and it's not available on kindle which is a shame as i really struggle to stay focused and motivated to read physical books (Part of my disability I'm not anti books or anything) Hopefully it will get put as a ebook sooner rather than later 

10 hours ago, CoreyVandal said:

Wife got me them both for Christmas, I'd recommend them. It basically reshuffles the Observer coverage by topic, and goes through what was reported chronologically. I've lost hours in them already, and they are massive.

17 hours ago, Kfogg1991 said:

I would have been well up for reading Stu's new book but i just looked on amazon and it's not available on kindle which is a shame as i really struggle to stay focused and motivated to read physical books (Part of my disability I'm not anti books or anything) Hopefully it will get put as a ebook sooner rather than later 

I believe the book will be going to ebook. Stay tuned! 

7 hours ago, The Reverend said:

I believe the book will be going to ebook. Stay tuned! 

Well up for reading it when it does move over, I have listened to a few of his podcasts and he isn't one for holding back so I would imagine the book is even more raw and revealing.

Edited by Kfogg1991
I accidently hit post before i had written anything

• 4 weeks later...
  • Paid Members
On 1/9/2021 at 5:27 PM, BomberPat said:

The 1997 yearbook is fantastic; if you're interested in "what if?" situations, it's full of them, so much could have changed in that year, and everything was to play for.

I picked this up on the kindle. I'm struggling with them just because it's so appallingly written. I've always used back issues mainly for reference, which they are great for, but have rarely sat and read his big takes. I don't like to knock him because his stuff is fascinating but he's a truly awful writer. 

Like Rick I got them through Kindle. I really wanted to enjoy them but the writing style is a barrier even for infrequent dips. There’s also the fact that the big takeaways are general knowledge by now anyway. Sure - there’s some fine detail - but you generally know the score. Though that’s hardly Dave’s fault. But what you’re left with is poorly written tidbits without a fresh narrative thread. 

If I had my hands on it when I was a kid my brain would have been splattered all over the walls though. I may as well have been wrestling James Bond. I’m sure somebody back in the day went into class with an Observer. I was getting dodgy recordings of Nitro and Japanese deathmatch in the mail when I was barely a teenager. It must have been done. 

Edited by Gay as FOOK

• Paid Members
19 hours ago, Yakashi said:

Dave’s writing hasn’t improved in the 23 years since. These books would have been the perfect opportunity for some editing.

Yeah, definitely. Even if just the spelling errors. I normally report spelling mistakes on kindle books to help the author out but with these, I think it'd be a full-time job.

• Paid Members

The way his obituaries jump back and forth in time from one period to another with no linking thoughts is infuriating. He must do it on purpose because people have complained about it forever and they're all a jumbled mess still. Maybe he thinks he's the William S Burroughs of wrestling journalism.  

• 4 weeks later...

I've just finished reading the Randy Hales book. Could have done with a proof reader here and there but was a really good read for anyone who has an interest in Memphis Wrestling. I used to get the Power Pro Wrestling tapes in the late 90s and he goes into a lot of detail about running that promotion so gave a lot of insight 

• 2 months later...

I’ve taken to listening to audiobooks recently, having taken up the gym, and that has been entertaining me whilst there.

Just finished JR’s second book. Was really interesting hearing his journey with WWE, from the major stories backstage over the years.

Was good as it started right about when I started watching, so it was like I was pulling back the curtain as to what was really going on back there.

What became apparent throughout, was his love for his wife, who was clearly his rock throughout his trials and tribulations with WWE, and it was particularly sad to hear how she passed.

Would definitely recommend.

Any more audio books that anybody can recommend?

Edited by Matthew