The Metal/Punk/Rock Thread

Egg Shen

3 hours ago, Egg Shen said:

Good luck with that. I have an idea in my head for a podcast which is similar but id be so unconfident in actually doing it and making it sound even fractionally listenable that it puts me off. Plus i hate the sound of my own voice.

It is slightly weird and abit hard to get past the whole hearing yourself and whatnot but I'm talking about something thst is my job and something I'm incredibly passionate about so it just comes naturally in the end. I hope you enjoy it If you listen....the next episode I'm releasing in the next couple of days is with my first guest a guy called jamal Lewis who's a drummer for a funk/soul/hip hop fusion band and ive known him since I was 13 when we were training at futureshock in Manchester together so we talked about that time too 

• Paid Members
On 9/24/2019 at 8:45 PM, Egg Shen said:

speaking of nu-metal nostalgia, im off to the Static-X/Soil/Wednesday 13/Dope tour tomorrow night. Static X is one of the only one of the bigger bands of that late 90s/early 00s scene that i never got to see. Would have been great to see them with Wayne Static but it looks like they've pulled off this tribute thing pretty well.

Static-X's first album is pretty special. I picked it up in cash converters and it lived in my stereo for a while. I wouldn't have minded being able to see them, but I drifted out of the kind of circle of friends that would have been up for doing that kind of thing. 

Edited by jazzygeofferz

12 hours ago, Egg Shen said:

speaking of nu-metal nostalgia, im off to the Static-X/Soil/Wednesday 13/Dope tour tomorrow night. Static X is one of the only one of the bigger bands of that late 90s/early 00s scene that i never got to see. Would have been great to see them with Wayne Static but it looks like they've pulled off this tribute thing pretty well.

I got to see Static X once, would have been 2004ish at the Hammersmith Apollo supporting Korn. About an intense a set as I've ever seen. I've never been in a crowd that moved like that before or since. We started standing in the centre, ended up being swept along to both sides, the front, the back, it was like waves. The whole room was just moving constantly, with little pockets bouncing and moshing. They were tight as fuck too and with the amount of bottom end that just hurts your chest and back. Would loved to have seen them on these dates.

• Paid Members

That's unfortunate. I didn't realise they'd already filmed S&M2. The set list looks pretty good. The Day That Never Comes and Halo On Fire could be incredible with an orchestra. I was half wondering whether (and hoping) they'd try and work some kind of orchestration into St Anger, but looks like it's not happening. 

• Paid Members
1 hour ago, The King Of Swing said:

Adema is one band from back in the day that really stood out in their shitness. Wasn't the lead singer related to someone in another Nu-metal band?

yeh, i completely overlooked them, even though they probably would have been right up my street at the time. 

There was a bunch of nu-metal bands that sprung up and their most sellable point was that a member had a famous relative. Apartment 26, Deadsy, Adema etc.

I went to the Static-X show the other night. I made the stupid mistake of hitting the San Miguel so by the time Static-X came on i was a bit zoned out (ive gotta quit drinking at gigs), enjoyed it though. The initial intrigue was there but once that wore off i guess it looked and sounded like classic Static-X. Pretty cool video screens and stuff too, it did make me realise how long its been since i actually listened to Wisonsin Death Trip though, some of the songs i probably hadnt heard in 15 years. I did hear once that you could take the musicians off stage at a Static-X show and it wouldnt make much of a difference considering the amount of tape they run, and thats the sort of feeling i got during the show. I need to go and have a proper listen back to their catalogue now.

Band of the night for me outside of that was Dope, short and sweet but it was nice and loose, bit of onstage banter and some decent tuneage, enjoyed the fuck out of it. Wednesday 13 seemed way more serious music-wise than the last time i saw them, could have done without the costume changes but you couldnt fault the effort. Soil were just reliably average, still milking a single tune but they make a decent racket.

I've been re-listening to Velvet Cacoon/Clair Cassis a lot this past week or two, they won't be to everyones taste but they're certainly one of the more interesting black metal bands. They traded in the "evil" gimmicks for tall tales of eco-terrorism, big sexy diesel powered guitars, live shows fueled by ancient hallucinogens that made them puke purple shit and a bunch more trickery and thievery (although, said thievery may have been in conjunction with the other artists).

Even without all the shenanigans Genevieve is a 10/10 bit of hazy, droney drugged out black metal.

Oh, and I also found this Carly Rae x Deafheaven mashup demo album https://esorren.bandcamp.com/album/sunkisser-demo-work-in-progress