Jump to content

Recommended Posts

  • Paid Members
Posted
12 minutes ago, mim731 said:

It's been a while since I've been to big festival, how much is a weekend ticket to Download likely to set me back?

 

2018 prices;

5 day weekend camping tickett: £185, Child: £95

3 day weekend camping ticket Adult: £175, Child: £90

RIP Camping in Park farm (inc. ticket)£465

Car park pass: £20

Despite the nostalgic line-up, I'll most likely be giving this a pass. I've seen everyone on that bill at least once before (mostly at previous Downloads), so unless I win a ticket I'll be sitting at home hoping it rains again.

Posted
On 9/21/2019 at 9:19 PM, Merzbow said:

Thje ex-Gridlink guitarist has just released a solo album with a huge cast of grindcore allstars on each track and it's pretty much my AOTY after one listen.

 

 

Will check this out for sure. You probably already know but there's a new band with Jon Chang (Discordance Axis/Gridlink) in called No One Knows What The Dead Think. They're absolutely banging. 

Posted (edited)
58 minutes ago, lightningxlock said:

 

Will check this out for sure. You probably already know but there's a new band with Jon Chang (Discordance Axis/Gridlink) in called No One Knows What The Dead Think. They're absolutely banging. 

Both albums came out on the same day too, pretty mad.

11 minutes ago, King Mal the Glorious said:

I've saved both of those for later, always on the lookout for more grind!

If you haven't already check out Plausibility Of Putridity by Haggus, one of my favs from last year. I've never been massively into the gory side of grind but they do it so damn well.

Also, Psudoku are pretty much perfect with their proggy spacey take on grind.

https://psudoku.bandcamp.com/album/report-from-the-10th-dimension

Edited by Merzbow
  • Paid Members
Posted

A mate of mine said that with the exception of Gojira that Download lineup might as well have been from 2001. Apparently it's a Kiss tribute band? Headlining? Sounds a bit odd. 

We had the Spotify "metal essentials" playlist on in the warehouse yesterday afternoon (Limp Bizkit, Korn, Metallica, Megadeth, Slayer, Sepultura and the like) , and the Brazilian guy we work with wasn't enjoying it. I restrained myself from saying "this isn't even particularly heavy stuff" to upset him even more. Properly got me in the mood to have a listen to some death metal today. I don't think that'll fly at work though. 

Posted (edited)
18 minutes ago, jazzygeofferz said:

A mate of mine said that with the exception of Gojira that Download lineup might as well have been from 2001. Apparently it's a Kiss tribute band? Headlining? Sounds a bit odd.

We had the Spotify "metal essentials" playlist on in the warehouse yesterday afternoon (Limp Bizkit, Korn, Metallica, Megadeth, Slayer, Sepultura and the like) , and the Brazilian guy we work with wasn't enjoying it. I restrained myself from saying "this isn't even particularly heavy stuff" to upset him even more. Properly got me in the mood to have a listen to some death metal today. I don't think that'll fly at work though. 

Well your mates talking out of his arse. Or is he one of those “No Bill Ward? No Black Sabbath~!” types?

Hopefully Gojira get a decent slot (thirdfromtop maybe?). They were great when they headlined Bloodstock and deserve to be showcased.

Can’t say I’m suprised by any of the headliners. I mentioned about KISS being a possibility, but wasn’t sure it would actually happen. Iron Maiden again, yay ?. As much as folk, myself included, talk about new acts getting the chance to headline, Download won’t take the chance, they will stick with who they know will shift tickets, which is the aim of the game afterall. Having said that, if people arn’t happy with the headliners, there are plenty of other festivals to go to, especially the one day festivals

Edited by WyattSheepMask
  • Paid Members
Posted
4 minutes ago, WyattSheepMask said:

Well your mates talking out of his arse. Or is he one of those “No Bill Ward? No Black Sabbath~!” types?

Hopefully Gojira get a decent slot (thirdfromtop maybe?). They were great when they headlined Bloodstock and deserve to be showcased.

Can’t say I’m suprised by any of the headliners. I mentioned about KISS being a possibility, but wasn’t sure it would actually happen. Iron Maiden again, yay ?. As much as folk, myself included, talk about new acts getting the chance to headline, Download won’t take the chance, they will stick with who they know will shift tickets, which is the aim of the game afterall. Having said that, if people arn’t happy with the headliners, there are plenty of other festivals to go to, especially the one day festivals

I must have fallen for a joke he made. I thought they were calling it quits after this tour, but they're not the kind of chaps to turn down festival headlining money. I'm sure it'll be a fine weekend. 

Posted
2 minutes ago, Chest Rockwell said:

Deftones are just hand down the worst popular band of that nu metal period, and that is saying something. So fucking shit.

They’re similar to when I tried to watch Queens of the Stonage at festivals. Didn’t like them the first time, so figured I’d give them another as maybe they just “weren’t on” on that day. Nope, fucking boring. Give it one last chance....nope, they really are just fucking boring

  • Paid Members
Posted (edited)

I reckon Deftones were the best. They're only one I wouldn't mind listening to these days (not that I do). How on earth you could say they were worse than Korn or Papa Roach I'll never know. 

 

Quote

They’re similar to when I tried to watch Queens of the Stonage at festivals. Didn’t like them the first time, so figured I’d give them another as maybe they just “weren’t on” on that day. Nope, fucking boring. Give it one last chance....nope, they really are just fucking boring

The first two QOTSA albums are masterpieces. The third one is good as well, but it's overlong and it's got some filler on there. After that, they went downhill pretty sharpish. The first band I ever saw live as well. 

Edited by gmoney
Posted
5 minutes ago, Chest Rockwell said:

Deftones are just hand down the worst popular band of that nu metal period, and that is saying something. So fucking shit.

You're forgetting Coal Chamber. 

  • Paid Members
Posted (edited)
21 minutes ago, gmoney said:

I reckon Deftones were the best. They're only one I wouldn't mind listening to these days (not that I do). How on earth you could say they were worse than Korn or Papa Roach I'll never know. 

Absolutely. Deftones exploded right as nu-metal did, so they were lumped in with those dirty bastards. Corey Taylor said it best in an interview way back when, (paraphrasing here); "People try to pigeonhole us as-nu-metal but we're really not. We're a new act and we're metal, that's where the similarities end ".

I'd say Deftones and Slipknot really fought hard against that label and did quite well for themselves as someone as snobby as myself can still listen to them and appreciate the songs, whereas if I'm listening to Limp Bizcit, Spineshank, Korn or Dry Kill Logic then it's really only for the nostalgia.

Edited by Accident Prone
  • Moderators
Posted

Deftones are easily worse than Coal Chamber and Papa Roach. At least those guys had some songs. Deftones' whole career is like Korn's first album - a dull homogenous mess that you can barely tell when one song ends and another begins.

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

Loading...
×
×
  • Create New...