The Metal/Punk/Rock Thread

Egg Shen

• Paid Members

I just find all of that stuff embarrassing (Big Truck by Coal Chamber is an especially strong example) and relentlessly self-pitying without any traces of self-awareness. I never got that from Deftones, the had some excellent tracks and didn't seem to be emotionally stunted pricks. Maybe they are, I should stress I'm not exactly a massive fan, but to me they are many leagues above Linkin Pool etc. 

• Moderators

In that respect I think you're probably on point with your assessment. Unfortunately it just didn't translate into decent songs. I'll take the catchy throwaway worthless stuff over the boring music with some modicum of artistic merit. Therefore, Disturbed > Deftones.

Edit - I specifically said shittest popular nu metal, Merz! I know the bottom of the barrel is deep...

Edited by Chest Rockwell

• Paid Members

Slipknot and Deftones were very much nu-metal bands, especially for the first couple of records sound wise. Bands like to distance themselves from scenes to save getting dragged down with the ship. Incubus are another who like to pretend or they were never part or fitted in with that scene.

Accident Prone mentioned Dry Kill Logic above, they've just put out a new tune.

I'll always love and have a soft spot for nu-metal, it exploded when i was 14 years old and i was all over it. Genres within metal meant nothing to me when i was that age, if it was Kerrang! i was interested in it, I had no one really showing me the way either so i just consumed it all and nu-metal just happened to be a massive part of that. 

• Paid Members
4 minutes ago, Chest Rockwell said:

In that respect I think you're probably on point with your assessment. Unfortunately it just didn't translate into decent songs. I'll take the catchy throwaway worthless stuff over the boring music with some modicum of artistic merit. Therefore, Disturbed > Deftones.

'Pink Maggit' is a better track than any nu-metal easy-listening shit-single from that era. Hell, I'd put that one song up against any nu-metal album from the era too.

Edited by Accident Prone

• Paid Members
5 minutes ago, gmoney said:

I just find all of that stuff embarrassing (Big Truck by Coal Chamber is an especially strong example) and relentlessly self-pitying without any traces of self-awareness. I never got that from Deftones, the had some excellent tracks and didn't seem to be emotionally stunted pricks. Maybe they are, I should stress I'm not exactly a massive fan, but to me they are many leagues above Linkin Pool etc. 

Big Truck is a running joke between me and a mate still, we'll randomly send 'BIG TRUCK' text messages to each other.

The reunion tour a few years back was pretty cool though, as was the new record they put out.

I too will always a soft-spot for Nu-Metal. I’d been listening to Rock & Metal since I first watched Wayne’s World and Alice Cooper blew my tiny 7 year old mind. The 90s was, on the whole, a bit of a turgid time for the genre, then everything exploded in 2000 when I was 15 and very impressionable. As you get older, you find your niche, but listening to those bands made me listen a load of others too just based on someone saying they were influenced by whoever.

For those interested I've just launched my podcast talking about the smaller to middle tier bands and artists that don't really get talked about in kerrang and metal Hammer ext. 

The first episode is talking about how hang tight became a thing and reviewing all the bands that played hang tight festival this year 

• Paid Members
2 hours ago, Kfogg1991 said:

For those interested I've just launched my podcast talking about the smaller to middle tier bands and artists that don't really get talked about in kerrang and metal Hammer ext. 

The first episode is talking about how hang tight became a thing and reviewing all the bands that played hang tight festival this year 

Good luck with that. I have an idea in my head for a podcast which is similar but id be so unconfident in actually doing it and making it sound even fractionally listenable that it puts me off. Plus i hate the sound of my own voice.

• Paid Members

speaking of nu-metal nostalgia, im off to the Static-X/Soil/Wednesday 13/Dope tour tomorrow night. Static X is one of the only one of the bigger bands of that late 90s/early 00s scene that i never got to see. Would have been great to see them with Wayne Static but it looks like they've pulled off this tribute thing pretty well.