The Metal/Punk/Rock Thread

Egg Shen

On 11/1/2019 at 2:51 PM, King Mal the Glorious said:

Anyone off to Damnation tomorrow? Pretty solid lineup this year, for once I'll be spending a lot of time at the main stage! 72800696_2809795705719289_65439966753907

Nearly flew over for it, but Mayhem decided to play tomorrow night in Dublin so stayed put. Tasty lineup, though! 

Alcest are fucking brilliant. Not a bad album there, I don't think, but Souvenirs d'un Autre Monde is one of the whole post black metal things classics for me. 

On 11/2/2019 at 6:34 PM, Merzbow said:

Mgla can suck their mum, frostnazipedo loving fucks.

Echo the Alcest love, the new album is pretty damn good too. I've been banging out the new Teitanblood a bunch, seems to be more rooted in death metal than their last but it's amazing for it.

Saturday was the third time I've seen Mgla and the third time I've wandered off after 15 mins. They do nothing for me live. Alcest were brilliant, tied with Gost as the best of the day.

Mayhem's sound was awful (PA kept cutting out) and security were total bellends but otherwise, a good day.

38 minutes ago, King Mal the Glorious said:

Saturday was the third time I've seen Mgla and the third time I've wandered off after 15 mins. They do nothing for me live. Alcest were brilliant, tied with Gost as the best of the day.

Mayhem's sound was awful (PA kept cutting out) and security were total bellends but otherwise, a good day.

Yeah even ignoring the gross stuff about Mgla they're a horribly generic act, didn't understand the love before and especially now.

Did you catch Dawn Ray'd? They seem like decent guys and their music is pretty class.

1 hour ago, King Mal the Glorious said:

Seen Gost support Mayhem and they done nothing for me, to be honest. There's something there - the sound would easily walk into so many movies now where that kind of soundtrack is in vogue - but the crowd weren't into it at all when we saw them and it made the whole thing feel like some guys who looked like they could really do with a full band. Even someone on an electronic drumkit just to bring a bit more dynamism to things. They did give me a proper lash of anxiety, though, to their credit. I'm predisposed anyway, and I've quit drinking, so small dark venues combined with gig excitement will do that to me now until the main act has settled me down. Kavinsky x Motionless in White, though they'd probably hate me saying that.

Mayhem was a fucking warzone. The Daemon stuff is so-so, for me, I prefer atmospheric Mayhem. They divided their set in three though, which was brilliant. Post Euronymous/Daemon stuff, DMDS and an encore of Deathcrush songs which ripped the place apart. 

Enjoyed Gaahl's Wyyrd on the night, too. He's a bollocks, but something about the project seems to have humbled him. He was snaking around the merch stand for ages afterwards hanging out with people. Bought the vinyl afterwards. I love anything blackened that goes down a gear and gets a bit more pagan-ethereal.

Next up for me is Ghost. I've heard they were a huge inspiration on Blue Öyster Cult, so it should be fun. 

• 3 weeks later...
  • Paid Members

I'm eyeing that up at the moment, would be my first "proper" festival in nearly 10 years if I go. Normally metal festival line-ups don't do a lot for me - there'll be one headliner I like, or a bunch of cool stuff on a smaller stage, but that's the first time in years I've seen a near complete line-up that's hooked me. A good 20+ bands I'd consider "must see" for me on there, and a few others I'd go for if I was free

• Paid Members

Id recommend Hellfest, i went in 2016. The main stage is a write off though unless you fancy arsing about in a massive crowd all day in the heat all eay, its ridiculously big. The War Zone stage and the long hangar type tents are great though.