The Metal/Punk/Rock Thread

Egg Shen

Bands like Limp Bizkit, Korn or Papa Roach were gateway bands to get kids into metal 18 years ago. So there are a load of people between the ages of 12 to 18 when Hotdog flavoured water was released are now in their 30s. They might be embarrassed about their baggy jeans and massive wallet chains past, or skinny jeans and floppy fringe a few years later. So they might have moved onto listening to Frostnazi or whatever, but that shit is nostalgic to them.

5 minutes ago, Bellenda Carlisle said:

I'm not nostalgic about nu metal, it was awful and it barely feels long ago enough to be nostalgic about. 

Well Korn's self titled debut album came out 25 years ago. So it's definitely old enough to feel nostalgic about. Though the prime nu metal years were 98-02

• Paid Members

The love for that period has always surprised me. I started DJing around 2005, and it already felt like an utterly dead scene around that time, yet people my age and slightly younger would still constantly request songs from that '99-'02 period all the time. It used to annoy me, because it was never something I was really into, and most everyone I knew had moved on by then.

What baffles me now, though, is that I go and watch my friends DJ now, and not only are the same people still requesting the same songs, nearly 15 fucking years later, but there are 18/19 year olds requesting it all as well. Mate, you weren't even out of nappies when Soil released "Halo", how do you even know what it is?! 

12 minutes ago, BomberPat said:

The love for that period has always surprised me. I started DJing around 2005, and it already felt like an utterly dead scene around that time, yet people my age and slightly younger would still constantly request songs from that '99-'02 period all the time. It used to annoy me, because it was never something I was really into, and most everyone I knew had moved on by then.

What baffles me now, though, is that I go and watch my friends DJ now, and not only are the same people still requesting the same songs, nearly 15 fucking years later, but there are 18/19 year olds requesting it all as well. Mate, you weren't even out of nappies when Soil released "Halo", how do you even know what it is?! 

A lot of alternative types seem stuck in a time warp. There's a couple of nights a month here that play exactly the same songs to the same people that were going to Legends ever weekend in 2001. People living their young "glory days" I guess.

When I said my lot "love" it I was more referring to a rose-tinted look back at it all, if we're round someone's house someone might chuck on some Linkin Park for a bit but that's about the limit. I'm certainly not begging DJs to play Let the Bodies Hit the Floor haha!

Edited by King Mal the Glorious
too many "s

• Paid Members

I'm not completely ragging on nostalgia - it's perfectly valid, and the music you get into as teenager tends to be the stuff you respond to most emotionally. I just don't understand people who seem to have heard four bands when they were fifteen and then decided, "that's it. That's all the music I will ever need".

I think what bothers me most about is that they also tend to be the same people who make being a "metalhead" a significant part of their identity.

8 minutes ago, BomberPat said:

I'm not completely ragging on nostalgia - it's perfectly valid, and the music you get into as teenager tends to be the stuff you respond to most emotionally. I just don't understand people who seem to have heard four bands when they were fifteen and then decided, "that's it. That's all the music I will ever need".

I think what bothers me most about is that they also tend to be the same people who make being a "metalhead" a significant part of their identity.

AKA The Nuneaton Greebo.

I went to Corporation in Sheffield for a night out a few months ago and the DJ was playing the same songs, presumably in the same order, as they were ten years previously when I last went in there. Bodies, Sugar, Halo, Closer, In The End, Down With The Sickness. And the same folk who looked ancient to me when I was in there twice a week when I was aged 18 or 19 were still there, in the same clothes. It was bizarre.  
I'm 34 so I do get nostalgia for some of the music as I was seriously in to nu metal aged 13 or 14 after a mate of mine played me a tape of Follow The Leader and it was like nothing I'd ever heard. Ended up seeing Korn something like 13 or 14 times. I do like to stick a bit of Limp Bizkit on in the car every now and then and I've got a playlist with Mudvayne, Drowning Pool, One Minute Silence, Spineshank, Disturbed and a few others.

Edited by cobra_gordo

"The worst thing about metal is the metalheads" goes side by side with "the worst thing about wrestling is wrestling fans" for me. The amount of cringe from the metaller-than-thou types is terrible.

2 minutes ago, cobra_gordo said:

I went to Corporation in Sheffield for a night out a few months ago and the DJ was playing the same songs, presumably in the same order, as they were ten years previously when I last went in there. Bodies, Sugar, Halo, Closer, In The End, Down With The Sickness. And the same folk who looked ancient to me when I was in there twice a week when I was aged 18 or 19 were still there, in the same clothes. It was bizarre.  

I'm in Sheffield next weekend for the HRH Doom thing, tempted to go in and compare it to every other alt night I've been to 😂

6 minutes ago, King Mal the Glorious said:

"The worst thing about metal is the metalheads" goes side by side with "the worst thing about wrestling is wrestling fans" for me. The amount of cringe from the metaller-than-thou types is terrible.

I'm in Sheffield next weekend for the HRH Doom thing, tempted to go in and compare it to every other alt night I've been to 😂

I'm around for that aswell. Saturday night is pretty much what I described- all the oldies coming out of the woodwork to have a mosh.

• Paid Members
27 minutes ago, BomberPat said:

I got into a passionate 'discussion' with a couple of these types at the Flapper in Birmingham a couple of years back. They were shit talking whatever the DJ was playing, and I got a bit fed up of it so I turned around and asked what they were into (which was the standard nu-metal stuff from the first few Kerrang CDs). 

Apparently, all metal music since 2003 was shit, and I tried to appeal to their own argument by giving examples of various websites (even Spotify) that recommend new bands based on your own tastes. "Look, there's 'nu-metal' still being made! Get stuck in!" I'd say and they just kept brushing off. 

I almost had to be dragged away, they were that ignorant and infuriating.