The Metal/Punk/Rock Thread

Egg Shen

12 minutes ago, Ironic Indie Lad said:

Totally and utterly unrelated note - any chat on the Tool album?

I’ve given it 5 listens, and I’m getting along with it now, I wasn’t with it on the first go round though. The streaming version has the extra interludes that the CD version, or the “what sort of idiot is paying £75 for a CD in 2019” version, doesn’t have. One of them is called Chocolate Chip Trip, and whoever said that was OK to leave the studio needs fucking shooting.

It gets better on repeat listens as you notice little bits that might have missed the previous time, but ‘Pneuma’ could have been shorter and not lost much, while ‘Invincible’ and ‘Descending’ (the two new tracks they been playing live this year) are very good and ‘7empest’ finishes the album well.

There are certain parts were I felt like the guitar could’ve sounded a little thicker, similar to the sound on Lateralus, but that’s just me. Hard to say where I rank amongst the rest of the back catalogue at the moment, but it’s a very good album for the most part. Just don’t get caught up in the “you have to smacked out of your head to understand it” horseshit that comes with Tool fans

Edited by WyattSheepMask

5 minutes ago, WyattSheepMask said:

I’ve given it 5 listens, and I’m getting along with it now, I wasn’t with it on the first go round though. The streaming version has the extra interludes that the CD version, or the “what sort of idiot is paying £75 for a CD in 2019” version, doesn’t have. One of them is called Chocolate Chip Trip, and whoever said that was OK to leave the studio needs fucking shooting.

It gets better on repeat listens as you notice little bits that might have missed the previous time, but ‘Pneuma’ could have been shorter and not lost much, while ‘Invincible’ and ‘Descending’ (the two new tracks they been playing live this year) are very good and ‘7empest’ finishes the album well

I thought it was good on my first listen but felt it would improve on repeated listens. It's had the absolute opposite impact though. With each listen its gotten more tedious.

I say this as an absolutely enormous fan of Rush fwiw.

• Paid Members

Kerrang! bringing the goods with this list.

https://www.kerrang.com/features/the-12-most-underrated-albums-of-the-90s/

The Kerbdog, Handsome & Everclear records are already favorite of mine. Few albums there i need to checkout though, the writers taste seems to be very similar to mine.

6 hours ago, Egg Shen said:

The Kerbdog, Handsome & Everclear records are already favorite of mine.

Don't know if it's your thing, or if you knew anyway, but the singer is doing some of those "Intimate acoustic storyteller" type gigs.  Here is the Manchester one. 

https://www.list.co.uk/event/1376988-art-alexakis/54851-night-and-day-manchester/