The Metal/Punk/Rock Thread

Egg Shen

• Paid Members

The first records I bought as soon as I got my old record player up and running were these;

Killswitch Engage - Alive Or Just Breathing

killswitch_engage-alive_or_just_breathin

Probably the best metal album of the 00's. Parkway Drive's 'Horizons' is almost on par.

Jawbreaker - Dear You

518lkU-1D-L._SX450_.jpg

Tough to find, but worth every penny.

Modern Baseball - You're Gonna Miss It All

41yvd04LluL._SX425_.jpg

Incredible, modern emo album. 

That's it for now, as it's an expensive hobby and I'm fucking skint. I've got my eyes set on Circe Takes The Square - As The Roots Undo and Cursive - The Ugly Organ as my next purchases though.

I've also got around 30 or so chart compilations from the 60's/70's/80's. I tend to pick these up for a few quid from carboot sales. The quality varies but it's fun to stack them up at parties and let the guests throw them on .

Edited by Accident Prone

Never been a massive collector, mine is virtually all Rollins Band stuff.

5kGZRk3.jpg

told this one is very rare, supposedly only 20 were made, but I’ve never been able to get that verified.

MxFkkxe.jpg

This is from before AWK signed with Island Records/Universal Music Group and is still in the shrink-wrap, so probably the most interesting piece I own

37 minutes ago, WyattSheepMask said:

MxFkkxe.jpg

This is from before AWK signed with Island Records/Universal Music Group and is still in the shrink-wrap, so probably the most interesting piece I own

I want this. I actually put in an offer on a first press “I Get Wet” earlier today. Fucking love Andrew WK

• Paid Members

Not collecting vinyl is something that niggles at me. Especially at a time when everything is getting re-issued. Knowing my completist, obsessive tendencies though and having a young family i just cant justify if. Sometimes i go into HMV just to look at and hold the vinyl 😄

24 minutes ago, Accident Prone said:

I love Andrew WK, if only for the theories that he's not a real person but actually a concept, and that multiple people have 'played' him.

That all stems from the ‘Steev Mike’ fiasco, I bet those people think it was a different Ultimate Warrior at WM8 too. I’ve met him a bunch of times, he’s the same guy

• Paid Members

I love theories like that. It's proper madness how these folk connect small details to strengthen their theories. That's a rabbit hole that I'll definitely be indulging during lunch (Kenneth Williams.jpeg).

Edited by Accident Prone

6 hours ago, UK Kat Von D said:

727501-FF-2820-4898-907-F-80-B488-AE7-DE

E17-D7157-DE04-415-F-9049-C902-F6-AA3010

My record collection. Since quitting drugs I’ve needed to refocus my addictive tendencies and this has been occupying me plenty. Anyone got any recommendations for me? 

https://www.lavidaesunmus.com/

Possibly the best punk label in the UK right now, especially good for records from countries you'd not expect to find amazing punk.

They have a Bandcamp too so you can preview everything first.

ApgTeMb.jpg

Here's my modest collection. Just over 300 records according to my Discogs list (which I still need to complete - https://www.discogs.com/user/wordsfromlee/collection?header=1&sort_by=artists_sort)

Top row L-R: First two rock/punk/metal, hip-hop, funk/soul

Bottom row L-R: rock/punk/metal, electronic, soundtracks/compilations, jazz/world/BBC sound effects

The little pile is some 80's ambient and late 70's jazz fusion stuff that I bought recently and haven't got round to listening or organising yet.

I could genuinely talk about this stuff for hours. It's the only thing that keeps me going in life.