The Metal/Punk/Rock Thread

Egg Shen

• Paid Members
14 hours ago, SuperBacon said:

Just been alerted to Thursday playing Full Collapse and War All The Time in full on consecutive nights in December (1st and 2nd) at the Electric Ballroom!!!

Tickets on sale Wednesday BAYBAY!!!

Never really went fully in on Thursday. I listened to Full Collapse and War All the Time but fell off after that. Ive always followed the band through the press though. Its strange how around 5 years ago Geoff Rickley seemed to really struggle with keeping the band going with dwindling interest, its all he talked about in interviews. Absence makes the heart grow fonder and all that...

And yeah, i like Dinosaur Pile-Up. Ive not heard the record yet but the two songs they put out prior to the release were quality. They seem on the verge of a breakout moment too, they are chief support to Shinedown on a US tour, thats a pretty big slot. I remember when the first Dinosaur Pile-Up record came out, it was pretty much promoted as a 90's throwback, right up my alley.

6 hours ago, Egg Shen said:

Never really went fully in on Thursday. I listened to Full Collapse and War All the Time but fell off after that. Ive always followed the band through the press though. Its strange how around 5 years ago Geoff Rickley seemed to really struggle with keeping the band going with dwindling interest, its all he talked about in interviews. Absence makes the heart grow fonder and all that...

For nostalgia reasons I love those two the most, but the latter albums are excellent as well.

Regarding Rickly, he had some heavy drug issues during that period, which was probably why he seemed so desperate to reconnect with Thursday so much.

• Paid Members

I'm quite taken with Bloody Hammers. To the extent that I've pre-ordered their upcoming album The Summoning. I love the sort of Universal Monsters/Hammer Horror aesthetic. Which made me wonder are their more bands that ape this sort of thing? Metal or otherwise. Rob Zombie and The Misfits are two that spring to mind. Anyone know of any others?

9 minutes ago, DEF said:

I'm quite taken with Bloody Hammers. To the extent that I've pre-ordered their upcoming album The Summoning. I love the sort of Universal Monsters/Hammer Horror aesthetic. Which made me wonder are their more bands that ape this sort of thing? Metal or otherwise. Rob Zombie and The Misfits are two that spring to mind. Anyone know of any others?

Iced Earth but only with this album as far as I can remember.

• Paid Members

Thanks for those I will check them out. Wednesday 13 and Murderdolls I've heard of but I always assumed they were more sort of Marilyn Manson/Dani Filth-ish gory shock goth types. (Aesthetically speaking, I've no idea about how they sound)

Not sure to suggest if your looking for the Universal/Hammer Horror aarhetic specifically other than the previously mentioned Iced Earth album, but as for general horror-metal Evil Scarecrow are more at the comedy end of the horror-metal spectrum, but there are some decent tunes to enjoy and their live shows are always fun

Acid Witch might be worth a go

Edited by WyattSheepMask

• Paid Members

There's a ton of "horror rock" and psychobilly bands that make use of the old Universal monster movie aesthetic. The Cramps are a little more Roger Corman B-movie than Universal, but worth mentioning all the same.

• Paid Members

its not a genre i know a lot about, just the bigger names associated with the genre. The Misfits were mentioned originally so you have all the offshoot bands of the Misfits members. I highly recommend Michale Graves solo stuff, its a varied bunch but theres some stuff that continues on in the veign of the 2 albums he put out with the Misfits. Cracking live too.