The Metal/Punk/Rock Thread

Egg Shen

• Paid Members

Cheers for that list Merzbow it's given me a bit of a kick in the arse in so much as I literally had only heard of Power Trip on the list. I was shame faced at first but at least it gives me a nice new place to start.

Very initial thoughts after a brief look into the first 10 on YouTube are,

Bloody Hammer seem like a right laugh. I love a bit of horror film in my metal. 

Holy Grove have a nice stoner rock groove to them.

Artificial Brain seem like my cup of tea.

Forn are lovely and sludgy.

Edited by DEF

• Paid Members
On 6/13/2019 at 4:10 PM, Merzbow said:

Kerrang have made a list of the top 50 metal bands from the US this past decade and it's full of surprisingly heavy acts.

https://www.kerrang.com/features/the-50-best-american-metal-bands-from-the-past-decade/

Kerrang! have really upped their game in recent years. I dunno if they got a new editor or something but i'll pick it up from time to time to read on the shitter and its decent. 

He used to be a hero of mine*, back when he was merely a narcissistic prick and not a religious right wing prick, but sad to hear that Dave Mustaine has throat cancer.  He is upbeat though and thinks he is likely to get better.

(*I actually bought a Jackson Flying V the other month, been after one for over 20 years after becoming a Megadeth/Mustaine fanboy)

It's always sad to hear someone has cancer but I find it very hard to feel sorry for him after hearing stories of some of the abhorrent stuff he said to some people I know in a band that went on tour with Megadeth. Dave then tried to get them kicked off the tour after one of them called him out on his views.

On 6/13/2019 at 11:01 PM, Egg Shen said:

anyone seen the stuff online about Download? the site looks like a disaster because of the rain, poor fuckers.

It looked terrible. I've done a wet weather Download and it's no fun at all. I count myself lucky as I would have gone this year, but I'm currently in Singapore instead.

I went on Sunday for the day. By the looks of things, the weather improved by Saturday so the mud, while still boggy in places, was starting to harder but had a little bit of bounce. I managed to do the day in an old pair of trainers.

The photos that showed the mud seemed to contained to the campsite/village, but the arena itself was fine and they covered large areas with straw like they’ve done in previous years. I’ve been to much worse conditions at Download, so quite why people decided to leave before it even started is a mystery, and a waste of nearly £300 that they won’t get back

Tool was a special experience though, absolutely phenomenal, and I’m even more excited now for the new album. 

Edited by WyattSheepMask

• Paid Members
7 hours ago, WyattSheepMask said:

The photos that showed the mud seemed to contained to the campsite/village, but the arena itself was fine and they covered large areas with straw like they’ve done in previous years. I’ve been to much worse conditions at Download, so quite why people decided to leave before it even started is a mystery, and a waste of nearly £300 that they won’t get back

Having camped at Download every year from 2008 until 2013, I can assure you the photos I saw of the campsites and village are the worse that I've ever seen from the festival. I'm not surprised that folk woke up in their mud-covered tents on Thursday morning, took a look at the weather report for the next few days, thought "Fuck this" and left.

Edited by Accident Prone

I went to download this year and I'm now so ill I've literally just thrown my guts up..... I've been shivering but sweating...... 

Rob zombie who I bought my ticket to see played 55 mins...... slipknot are amazing but this was the worst I've seen them at so paint by numbers.....

There were so many tent thefts and attempted rapes in tents a stone throw away from me ect 

Some dude decked it and broke his knee....someone slipped 2 disks in there back 

Six of one, half a dozen of the other. 

The village was absolutely fucked, and anyone ill prepared for the 5 day camping was going to be knackered. We got there on Friday and had a great time. Conjurer, Behemoth, Skindred and Amon Amarth were all ridiculously good fun. Slipknot was the biggest crush I've ever been experienced. Thought they were hitting on serious Iowa intensity levels. They're such a finely tuned act by now though that the show will invariably get the above rote Slipknot type of reception. Corey's stock "getyourmotherfuckinghandsintheair!" stuff probably doesn't help, but they're the masky masky, motherfucky, middle finger guys. It's what you get. 

Security in fairness had given up by the time the arena opened up. And the dogtooth stage is cack, given the level of bands it has. 

Enjoyed Tool. Was funny watching the crowd thin out once people realised the band weren't going to be put on the screens. Still felt like a moment in time. Glad we called it a day on the extra smelly Slayer crowd after realising it was full of people jealously guarding their spots so they could record the whole thing.