The Metal/Punk/Rock Thread

Egg Shen

• Paid Members

First of Machine Head's re-recordings of Burn My Eyes. Very cool, and it sounds great. Initially i thought they were re-recording the album proper but its a live studio run through which is better. 

• Paid Members

Naah, you can have Robb's gimp spikes but Dave McClain's mouldy-Wotsit hair will be missed.

From This Day and Blood/Sweat/Tears are live standards anyhoo and will probably in the first half of the show, the 2nd half is Burn My Eyes in full.

• 2 weeks later...

Is Fat Mike from NOFX ok at the moment mental health wise?

He has a new album out under his “Cokie the Clown” persona .  He has posted some weird videos/pics and the video for the first single is a bit unsettling. 

He seems like a guy that might struggling at the moment . Hope it’s just all an act. 

Edited by RancidPunx

• 3 weeks later...

Merzbow is a grumpy old shit, he's having a right old strop over a couple of lads making a podcast about his music. Wait till he finds out there's a 2nd..

Oh and Gouge Away are going to be the stars of that tour, they're amazing.

Edited by Merzbow

Just went to watch the new Rammstein video on YouTube and it's been blocked on on copyright grounds. On their official channel.

Fucking hell YouTube.

Edit.

Actually it's an old video, not a new one. Still nuts though.

Edited by The King Of Swing

As you can tell from my flash new avatar, I've decided to get into edgy black metal about fifteen years after the traditional adolescent entry age. I'd always ignored it but the stupidly fun Lords of Chaos film piqued my interest so I picked up the final boss that is Transilvanian Hunger from a record store in Paris a few weeks ago. Let it wash over me and realised that for extreme music, my brain decided to essentially imbibe it as ambient music. Just this weird, lo-fi, expressionist painting. It's freezing cold. I know that's how everyone describes it, but it can't be stated enough. Fucking beautiful, and one of my new favourite albums. 

Fenriz seems like a chill bloke, too, which is refreshing. I'm not one of those people who brings too much morality to the artists he's listening to, but I wouldn't be paying money to see a band like Watain live, with all the rumours of animal abuse. Can't help but love the vibe of stuff like De Mysteriis Dom Sathanas and Emperor's In the Nightside Eclipse even though there was some right dodgy boys involved in those records, but my head seems to allow for it as they're more like historical artefacts. 

It's an odd one. I love the atmosphere of so much of this stuff - and I'll always go and see a black metal band at a festival now just for the show - but the odd band you get who purport to being actual theistic satanists crack me up to no end. Lunatics.