The Metal/Punk/Rock Thread

Egg Shen

• Paid Members

Really enjoyed the new SunnO))) album. Was disappointed by their previous, so this was a pleasant surprise.

I wanted to call it a return to form, but "form" for them is being punishingly loud and willfully obtuse around 2006/7 when I first became aware of them, and being the most intense live act I've ever seen in '07. The new album is far more nuanced than that, and the intensity gives way to a more meditative, almost joyous, ecstatic feeling in places, which is quite exciting in terms of pointing to new directions in which the drone genre could move.

Either way, it was spectacularly inappropriate listening for a sunny walk to the shops.

The new Full of Hell is a full forced kick in the face and I love it, it manages to switch up between death metal, hardcore, noise/industrial, grindcore and sludge so well and seamlessly.

You can tell they've learnt a lot from the guys they've collabed with in the past like The Body and Merzbow,

• 3 weeks later...

I've been listening to local cosmic death metallers Mithras a whole lot this past week, fuck me they're good. I've always liked them but going back through their stuff I'm realising just how great they were, there's so much old school death metal revival stuff out now but this pair would blow them away if they were still recording.

Fresh-Withdraw might just be my favourite album of the year. Really expanding their sound and just the loveliest people.

Also just discovered a Welsh language band called Breichiau Hir, who whilst not understanding a word they’re saying are bloody great. Emo/post hardcore if that floats your boat

1 hour ago, SuperBacon said:

Fresh-Withdraw might just be my favourite album of the year. Really expanding their sound and just the loveliest people.

Also just discovered a Welsh language band called Breichiau Hir, who whilst not understanding a word they’re saying are bloody great. Emo/post hardcore if that floats your boat

Alfa are another great up and coming welsh language band. Huge riffs. A bit Royal Blood-like.