The Metal/Punk/Rock Thread

Egg Shen

The only festival that I'm definitely going to is Slam Dunk. Sublime line up, I'm even slightly tempted to go to both dates so I can avoid having to deal with clashes. 

I went to Slam Dunk South last year, and you can walk from the main stage to the second biggest stage in about five minutes. Everything is rather close together. 

Has anyone here seen King Crimson before? Where they decent? I'm obsessed with them lately, even if I don't usually care for prog. I might go see them when they play at the Royal Albert Hall. 

Edited by pitseleh

• Paid Members

Yeh when I went to Birmingham everything was so close together that you really didn't feel like it even took any time to get from one stage to the other. If you time yourself right, depending on where food stalls, toilets etc are on the layout I'd say you can probably see a good 9/10 bands, the earlier bands tend to have shorter sets (for the main stages anyway) and usually its a case of when one thing finishes, another should just be starting. 

I managed to do two signing tents while watching a few bands a few years back, which worked my plan well together. I would absolutely love one year to do 2 days (now that the Midlands has been scrapped) but the idea of traveling from Leeds to Hatfield on a late Saturday night sounds fucking atrocious when I'm not driving and would have to megabus/national express it.

• Paid Members

Realised that Valentine's Day and all the false hype around it is one of the bigger causes of my sad moods and anxiety, so combated it by booking tickets for Mallory Knox and the Kerrang Radio Love Sucks ball.

That's now Soeur in Worcester next week for Independent Venue Week, Mallory Knox, Chvrches and Mayday Parade in February, probably SWMRS and Deaf Havana in March and The Hunna on April Fool's Day.

This year is getting suitably more awesome. 

• 2 weeks later...
  • Paid Members

ohhhh that's gonna split opinions.

I genuinely think Bloodstock have run out of options to headline. Gojira was the last of the bands they could use as new headline level for a festival that size following Mastodon, Lamb of God, Machine Head etc. Parkway Drive are definitely big enough, but Parkway Drive come in from a different lane. I imagine the Bloodstock forum is melting down.

Ive been to Bloodstock 9-10 times and bands that you expect to get harsh treatment always go down really well so they'll probably pull it off, i know they bring a pretty crazy live show too so it'll be a spectacle if anything.

The Bloodstock forum is populated by about 20 people, 15 of which are complete mutants so doesn’t really reflect the attending audience. 

Ive nothing against Parkway Drive at all, but I would never have guessed they would be the band announced. They played Alexandra Palace last night (where the announcement was made), so certainly big enough for a festival of Bloodstock’s standing. I honestly think it’s great that they’re giving bands a chance to prove themselves in those sort of slots though, Gojira showed that they absolutely deserved to headline last year and I’ve no doubt that Parkway Drive and Sabaton will do the same, plus you’ve got a heritage act that arn’t Slayer or Megadeth again, and looking up & down the bill they’ve put together for 2019 it’s strong & it’s varied.

TL:DR - fuck the Bloodstock forum

Edited by WyattSheepMask