The Metal/Punk/Rock Thread

Egg Shen

• Paid Members
31 minutes ago, lightningxlock said:

I agree completely. It was cool to finally see them and tick them off the 'ol list but pretty forgettable in all honesty. Coheed touring with Cursive and Taking Back Sunday sounds like a right banger of a tour, mind.

Separate tours; Coheed toured with Cursive, took a break, then toured with TBS. Frustrated me to no end. A Coheed/Cursive/TBS triple header is probably my dream tour. 

Shame about Mineral being so shabby. I'm not too fussed about their one London show if that's the case. 

I wasn't totally sold on the first album, loved the idea but not the execution but Stranger Fruit was such an improvement and the mix of sounds really fell into place much neater. Oh and I had Bri from the band Doom headbanging next to me all night, good to know an old dreaded crustie can have fun.

Cards on the table, chaps: I blimmin' love Ghost. I've been listening to them a lot recently. I also think it's great that they irk the metal purists who don't understand that metal should be about theatricality and silliness rather than just tattooed men shouting about how shit the world is. With Dance Macabre they've gone in an almost 80s pop direction: fantastic, it's catchy as fuck! They're about the only band I'd actually pay money to see these days.

Give me my card back!

But yeah, I fucking love Ghost. Each album is different from the other which is something I often look for from bands. They nearly buggered it all up with Infestissumam which is their weakest effort but still has its moments. I remember saying to a mate of mine that if they played things right, they’ll be headlining a festival around album #4, and was a little pleased with myself when they headlined Bloodstock before they went and recorded their fourth. Seen them 6 times (never in the same place twice), and will be seeing them many more times.

• Paid Members

same here, ive seen Ghost all over the place. They keep talking about getting to a point where they can afford to put on the type of show they have in their heads and i cant wait for the that. I recently went to The Royal Albert Hall show and besides the incredible setting the show was pretty bare bones, outside of some confetti cannons.

I'm not a fan, but don't see the need to slag them off all over the internet and make shit memes about them like some knuckledraggers do. I was disappointed when I first heard them because pictures I'd seen of them and their shirt designs got my hopes up they'd be a badass doom band. Folk can like what they like though and I can definitely understand the appeal, metal snobs just like to take any opportunity to get pissed off.

I just don't get the hype. Their music doesn't interest me and after seeing them live 3 (4 maybe? Can't remember) times I don't think their show is anything amazing either. King Diamond does it better.

The best thing about their rise to fame is seeing all the people I know that used to bum them back when they first came out now hating on them because they got popular. Ah, elitism.

One word, Batushka.

If you're after a gimmicky band but are too kvlt for Ghost (like myself) then they're good value. They put on one hell of a cool and eerie live show too. But yeah, nothing against Ghost they just aren't my cuppa tea, I do like a bit of Babymetal tho..

• Paid Members

I don't feel the urge to slag off Ghost (they're fine and their fans are pretty defensive) and I know loads of people with great taste in music who love them. I do think they're pretty derivative and their sound is very safe though. They're great at what they do, they seem very clean and professional but they don't excite me at all. I'm not super trve kvlt or anything, I have really varied taste in music it's just when Ghost were starting to get big I checked them out to see what all the fuss was about, I was expecting something ground breaking but to me they sounded exactly like blue oyster cult or something. It's a decent sound but like someone said a few posts ago, I love Mercyful Fate who were doing it better 35 years ago.

2 hours ago, Merzbow said:

One word, Batushka.

If you're after a gimmicky band but are too kvlt for Ghost (like myself) then they're good value. They put on one hell of a cool and eerie live show too. But yeah, nothing against Ghost they just aren't my cuppa tea, I do like a bit of Babymetal tho..

I've seen them a bunch too, good band. I presume you already know them but Cult of Fire are similar and better IMO.

On 12/5/2018 at 2:10 PM, Merzbow said:

I saw Zeal & Ardor last night, pretty amazing live. One of the best parts was the mish mash of people attending, you had your trvest kvlt kiddies all patched up next to your emos and hipsters and all were going batshit.

They were recommended to me on Spotify and after giving them a listen I'm sold. It's black metal for someone that can't stand trve kvlt black metal. It has good production and decent vocals. The closest I could get to Black Metal is first wave stuff and some Wolves in the Throne Room tracks.

On 12/5/2018 at 4:49 PM, Egg Shen said:

The singers pre-Zeal & Ardor project Birdmask is cool as well.

I had to google and check, but I was getting confused with the band Birdflesh, which is totally different.