The Metal/Punk/Rock Thread

Egg Shen

I put that down to being somewhat of an overnight sensation. I think they only had 1 EP out before Sony signed them to a 5 album deal. They got the big push without “paying their dues”*, they were basically The Giant in 1995

*I don’t think that personally, but I needed it for the Giant analogy to work

Edited by WyattSheepMask

• Paid Members

strangely i never saw them before they became Bullet for My Valentine despite being around local Welsh shows at the time but it always felt like people thought they'd got lucky because until they changed their name and put out that EP they were a dodgy nu-metal cover band. I used to be on a South Wales music forum and you could sense the massive amounts of jealousy toward them on there.

36 minutes ago, Merzbow said:

I fucking hate Bullet for one reason and one reason only, if I ever talk about My Bloody Valentine 9 times out of 10 someone thinks I'm on about BFMV.. some cute lass I was chatting up at a local doom gig did it a few days back, was half tempted to walk off.

Whilst looking at your shoes?

• Paid Members

Newcastle Arena are offering Comp tickets for Slayer tomorrow 

https://www.ticketmaster.co.uk/event/1F0054DAEABECAB9?did=sl2comp&fbclid=IwAR2HmJFZlJeVvwI9BAxoiOOmbxxo4flXsXntsQUYehjIZnEqF2bbUheL8io

Edit: Posted 13:12pm Friday 9th Nov, so may be gone when you click the link 

Edited by eugenespeed

On 11/4/2018 at 1:23 PM, Merzbow said:

So the new Daughters album is stellar, top tier noisy industrial rock and it seems to be getting praise from major publications too. It'd be hard to find a better comeback album.

I was gushing about them a few pages back. Got tickets to see them in April at the Brudenell Social Club in Leeds (where I’m also going to be seeing Built To Spill). Didn’t think I’d get to see them, let alone of the back of a decent comeback.

• Paid Members

Saw Slayer on Monday, it was a suitably messy affair. I dont remember a lot of it other than a ton of fire but it was a tidy send off in a packed arena. The setlist touches all bases but theres so many gems they could include. I'll miss em.

• Paid Members
21 hours ago, Daughters said:

I was gushing about them a few pages back. Got tickets to see them in April at the Brudenell Social Club in Leeds (where I’m also going to be seeing Built To Spill). Didn’t think I’d get to see them, let alone of the back of a decent comeback.

Was at the Brudenell last Saturday in the Community Lounge. (Big Country were in the main one). Good venue. 

5 hours ago, Egg Shen said:

Saw Slayer on Monday, it was a suitably messy affair. I dont remember a lot of it other than a ton of fire but it was a tidy send off in a packed arena. The setlist touches all bases but theres so many gems they could include. I'll miss em.

Counting down the hours until doors. It will be the first time I've seen all four bands, sadly my first time for Slayer is also my last time, but at least I'll get to see them (obviously minus Hanneman) 

• Paid Members

you wont be disappointed mate. Gary Holt is about a good a replacement as Slayer could have got too, he fucking brings it.

There is a nice tribute to Hanneman during the show, they've been doing it for a few years but i wont spoil it just in case you haven't seen it.