The Metal/Punk/Rock Thread

Egg Shen

My guess is that this is just a PR stunt to drum up hype for the next album. The announcement was way too theatrical. They did state a kidnapping to promote their last record after all. 

Just seems a bit of a bummer way to end to end a concert though, even if it does get people talking. 

1 minute ago, SuperBacon said:

The new Architects album comes out on Friday, and if the songs released so far are anything to go by, this should propel them even further, and cement them as one of the biggest metal bands in the world. Soon to be headlining Download?

Absolutely deserved, they are the best bunch of lads.

Yeah you can tell they've totally blown up as they're now selling out O2 venues at nearly 40 quid a pop and forcing multiple dates at them, fair play to them.

18 minutes ago, SuperBacon said:

The new Architects album comes out on Friday, and if the songs released so far are anything to go by, this should propel them even further, and cement them as one of the biggest metal bands in the world. Soon to be headlining Download?

Absolutely deserved, they are the best bunch of lads.

Let’s not get ahead of ourselves.

Take a look at who Download just announced as their headliners for next year. Now ask yourself, honestly, are they anywhere near that level? That’s not me taking a shot at the band, I’ve nothing against them whatsoever, but they’re nowhere near headlining something the scale of Download.

Bullet For My Valentine are probably the biggest British metal band not named Iron Maiden, and they’ve plateaued at the subheadliner level for Download. Again, that’s not a shot at them or Architects, it’s Download that either won’t take the risk, or don’t have any faith in them shifting tickets

Edited by WyattSheepMask

12 minutes ago, Merzbow said:

Yeah you can tell they've totally blown up as they're now selling out O2 venues at nearly 40 quid a pop and forcing multiple dates at them, fair play to them.

Completely deserved IMO. It's Wembley though next isn't it? 

@WyattSheepMask yeah, I was more thinking along the lines of when BMTV headlined, maybe chuck them in with two massive headliners to help. 

Dunno, just can't remember another band who have been able to straddle that commercial/accessible and critically acclaimed line, especially British. It's not as if they've ever released a bad album either. They've been consistent for 7 albums now. 

Really looking forward to the new one.

10 minutes ago, Egg Shen said:

i thought they'd take the punt on Bring Me the Horizon this year to headline Download, id imagine they'll be doing Reading though instead now. That's the only British band able of making that leap.

I always forget about Bring Me The Horizon because I’m not a fan, but yeah they’re even more likely to take that headliner spot over BFMV.

Architects realistically could do the top slot on the second stage at Download with where they’re at and where they may go based on the upcoming albums success. Headlining but not HEADLINING (if that makes sense).

• Paid Members

Yeh Bullet for My Valentine have peaked, i think they desperately tried to change it up with the new album to get back up there but the response from what i can gather has been lukewarm. The fact that they are only doing two UK shows and neither have sold out with a great bill says it all really. I do sometimes forget how long BFMV have been around though, its been 13 years since they broke with The Poison, they were some exciting times.

20 minutes ago, Egg Shen said:

Yeh Bullet for My Valentine have peaked, i think they desperately tried to change it up with the new album to get back up there but the response from what i can gather has been lukewarm. The fact that they are only doing two UK shows and neither have sold out with a great bill says it all really. I do sometimes forget how long BFMV have been around though, its been 13 years since they broke with The Poison, they were some exciting times.

I remember how excited I was when I first saw Hand Of Blood on Scuzz. What a song.