Jump to content

Recommended Posts

  • Paid Members
Posted (edited)
4 hours ago, Merzbow said:

I never got Manowar, they always sounded like complete arse to me with all the worst tropes of heavy metal.

The people I camped with at Download 2010 loved them. I didn't know who they are but I immediately fell in love with the song "Warriors Of The World" as it was regularly played on our CD player. I loved the campyness, humour and irony of it all, it was well up my street.

Then I found out a few weeks later that they were totally serious and aren't really playing it for laughs, and at that point I dropped them like a shit habit.

Edited by Accident Prone
Spelling and other associated shite.
Posted

There is some great campy metal out there, I'll always have a soft spot for bands like Stratovarius and Sonata Arctica. Never been sure just how serious they are, think I'd rather never find out.

Posted (edited)
33 minutes ago, Accident Prone said:

The people I camped with at Download 2010 loved them. I didn't know who they are but I immediately fell in love with the one song "Warriors Of The World" as it was regular played on our CD player. I loved the campyness, humour and irony of it all, it was well up my street.

Then I found out a few weeks later that they were totally serious and aren't really playing it for laughs, and at that point I dropped them like a shit habit.

That’s the conundrum of Manowar. Take them for what they are, and that’s a novelty that ticks every metal cliche going, but you can enjoy it so long you don’t take it too seriously you can enjoy the music as there is genuinely good stuff there if you look for it (Warriors of the World is one of their worst though) and have a good time at a show. But Joey DiMaio in his own mind thinks the band are on the same level as KISS. In his mind he’s Gene Simmons, he’s Paul Stanley. After the last UK tour barely broke even, I’m not surprised they’re only doing this as part of the ‘last’ tour

Edited by WyattSheepMask
  • Paid Members
Posted

I don't think Manowar would work if they didn't take themselves seriously, acting like they're the biggest band in the world has been their shtick for years and I think it's really what's kept them going all this time. Plus it's a lot more fun laughing at them if they're not in on the joke, I'd take that over tongue in cheek shit like Turisas any day.

  • Paid Members
Posted

I think I can take them or leave them at this point. Blind Guardian and Sonata Artica tend to be my go-to these days for cheesy metal antics, and even then I feel like it's growing stale on me.

  • Members
Posted

Firstly, the Architects album Fucking owns. How incredible that they could produce something so positive and uplifting after such a tragedy. If I could marry the pick slides on Seventh Circle, I probably would. Toms lyric of "I have to do this for you" on Doomsday still kills me every time I hear it. Cannot wait for Wembley.

Secondly, had never heard of them before last week, but someone recommended me Pijn, and their new album is a doom laden oppressing joy of a thing. Lazy I know but FFO Mogwai, Isis, etc. It's currently soundtracking me staring out the windows down to the rainy people below, thinking "Well, we're all doomed aren't we and everyone will die alone someday" 

HAPPY FRIYAY!!!

Posted (edited)
6 minutes ago, SuperBacon said:

Firstly, the Architects album Fucking owns. How incredible that they could produce something so positive and uplifting after such a tragedy. If I could marry the pick slides on Seventh Circle, I probably would. Toms lyric of "I have to do this for you" on Doomsday still kills me every time I hear it. Cannot wait for Wembley.

Secondly, had never heard of them before last week, but someone recommended me Pijn, and their new album is a doom laden oppressing joy of a thing. Lazy I know but FFO Mogwai, Isis, etc. It's currently soundtracking me staring out the windows down to the rainy people below, thinking "Well, we're all doomed aren't we and everyone will die alone someday" 

HAPPY FRIYAY!!!

Do you read any metal magazines? Check out one called Astral Noize, they had Pijn in the recent issue and it's always full of that style of forward thinking metal and sometimes other genres if you're looking for more artists.

Also, new some Ancst is out today, I think it's their 5th release of the year and they just get better.

Edited by Merzbow
  • Members
Posted
23 minutes ago, Merzbow said:

Do you read any metal magazines? Check out one called Astral Noize, they had Pijn in the recent issue and it's always full of that style of forward thinking metal and sometimes other genres if you're looking for more artists.

Also, new some Ancst is out today, I think it's their 5th release of the year and they just get better.

I don't if I'm honest, as I just don't have time these days but I'll stick them on the Twitter follow list, cheers.

As a reciprocation, have you heard the Riot Act podcast by Remfry Dedman who writes for Metal Hammer etc and Steven Hill who used to be on That's Not Metal? 

Its bloody excellent, and I'm getting some great recommendations from it. Their first episode especially is a belter where they each have to choose 5 artists from a load of genres. Really interesting listen and they both clearly know their shit. Better than fucking Beez from That's Not Metal certainly 

  • Paid Members
Posted

i listen to it when i can. I enjoyed Beez and Hill together, i think Riot Act is the better of the two shows now though. That's Not Metal's new co-hosts are a bit shit.

Do you know why Hill & Beez actually split? seems to be a bit of a touchy subject, ive looked on the facebook groups but no one seems to want to go into it.

Posted

Slayer, Anthrax, Lamb Of God, Smashing Pumpkins, Dream Theater, Eagles Of Death Metal, Blackberry Smoke, Alien Weaponry, Badflower, Black Futures, I Prevail, The Interrupters, Jinger, Man With A Mission, Nothing, Nowhere, Our Last Night, Riding The Low, Royal Republic, State Champs, Underside, Whitechapel, Yours Truly and Zebrahead

all added to Download 2019

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

Loading...
×
×
  • Create New...