The Metal/Punk/Rock Thread

Egg Shen

• Paid Members
4 hours ago, Merzbow said:

I never got Manowar, they always sounded like complete arse to me with all the worst tropes of heavy metal.

The people I camped with at Download 2010 loved them. I didn't know who they are but I immediately fell in love with the song "Warriors Of The World" as it was regularly played on our CD player. I loved the campyness, humour and irony of it all, it was well up my street.

Then I found out a few weeks later that they were totally serious and aren't really playing it for laughs, and at that point I dropped them like a shit habit.

Edited by Accident Prone
Spelling and other associated shite.

33 minutes ago, Accident Prone said:

The people I camped with at Download 2010 loved them. I didn't know who they are but I immediately fell in love with the one song "Warriors Of The World" as it was regular played on our CD player. I loved the campyness, humour and irony of it all, it was well up my street.

Then I found out a few weeks later that they were totally serious and aren't really playing it for laughs, and at that point I dropped them like a shit habit.

That’s the conundrum of Manowar. Take them for what they are, and that’s a novelty that ticks every metal cliche going, but you can enjoy it so long you don’t take it too seriously you can enjoy the music as there is genuinely good stuff there if you look for it (Warriors of the World is one of their worst though) and have a good time at a show. But Joey DiMaio in his own mind thinks the band are on the same level as KISS. In his mind he’s Gene Simmons, he’s Paul Stanley. After the last UK tour barely broke even, I’m not surprised they’re only doing this as part of the ‘last’ tour

Edited by WyattSheepMask

• Paid Members

I don't think Manowar would work if they didn't take themselves seriously, acting like they're the biggest band in the world has been their shtick for years and I think it's really what's kept them going all this time. Plus it's a lot more fun laughing at them if they're not in on the joke, I'd take that over tongue in cheek shit like Turisas any day.

The Threatin saga continues. Jokes on us apparently - “What is fake news? I turned an empty room into an International headline. If you’re reading this, you’re part of the illusion”

https://www.loudersound.com/news/jered-threatin-i-turned-an-empty-room-into-an-international-headline

Edited by WyattSheepMask

Thousands of dollars out of pocket and a ruined reputation but the jokes on us.

EDIT: http://www.metalsucks.net/2018/11/14/jered-threatins-true-identity-and-history-revealed/

He was apparently a member of Abigail Williams for a short while. As well as some awful black/death metal bands.

Edited by wordsfromlee

Firstly, the Architects album Fucking owns. How incredible that they could produce something so positive and uplifting after such a tragedy. If I could marry the pick slides on Seventh Circle, I probably would. Toms lyric of "I have to do this for you" on Doomsday still kills me every time I hear it. Cannot wait for Wembley.

Secondly, had never heard of them before last week, but someone recommended me Pijn, and their new album is a doom laden oppressing joy of a thing. Lazy I know but FFO Mogwai, Isis, etc. It's currently soundtracking me staring out the windows down to the rainy people below, thinking "Well, we're all doomed aren't we and everyone will die alone someday" 

HAPPY FRIYAY!!!

6 minutes ago, SuperBacon said:

Firstly, the Architects album Fucking owns. How incredible that they could produce something so positive and uplifting after such a tragedy. If I could marry the pick slides on Seventh Circle, I probably would. Toms lyric of "I have to do this for you" on Doomsday still kills me every time I hear it. Cannot wait for Wembley.

Secondly, had never heard of them before last week, but someone recommended me Pijn, and their new album is a doom laden oppressing joy of a thing. Lazy I know but FFO Mogwai, Isis, etc. It's currently soundtracking me staring out the windows down to the rainy people below, thinking "Well, we're all doomed aren't we and everyone will die alone someday" 

HAPPY FRIYAY!!!

Do you read any metal magazines? Check out one called Astral Noize, they had Pijn in the recent issue and it's always full of that style of forward thinking metal and sometimes other genres if you're looking for more artists.

Also, new some Ancst is out today, I think it's their 5th release of the year and they just get better.

Edited by Merzbow

23 minutes ago, Merzbow said:

Do you read any metal magazines? Check out one called Astral Noize, they had Pijn in the recent issue and it's always full of that style of forward thinking metal and sometimes other genres if you're looking for more artists.

Also, new some Ancst is out today, I think it's their 5th release of the year and they just get better.

I don't if I'm honest, as I just don't have time these days but I'll stick them on the Twitter follow list, cheers.

As a reciprocation, have you heard the Riot Act podcast by Remfry Dedman who writes for Metal Hammer etc and Steven Hill who used to be on That's Not Metal? 

Its bloody excellent, and I'm getting some great recommendations from it. Their first episode especially is a belter where they each have to choose 5 artists from a load of genres. Really interesting listen and they both clearly know their shit. Better than fucking Beez from That's Not Metal certainly 

• Paid Members

i listen to it when i can. I enjoyed Beez and Hill together, i think Riot Act is the better of the two shows now though. That's Not Metal's new co-hosts are a bit shit.

Do you know why Hill & Beez actually split? seems to be a bit of a touchy subject, ive looked on the facebook groups but no one seems to want to go into it.

Slayer, Anthrax, Lamb Of God, Smashing Pumpkins, Dream Theater, Eagles Of Death Metal, Blackberry Smoke, Alien Weaponry, Badflower, Black Futures, I Prevail, The Interrupters, Jinger, Man With A Mission, Nothing, Nowhere, Our Last Night, Riding The Low, Royal Republic, State Champs, Underside, Whitechapel, Yours Truly and Zebrahead

all added to Download 2019