The Metal/Punk/Rock Thread

Egg Shen

54 minutes ago, WyattSheepMask said:

The only thing that got me from the whole thing was how he managed to book the venues that he did. Obviously they’re not the O2 or anything, but do the people that own/operate these venues not research whoever is looking to book them, or is it purely a room for hire and so long as you can cover costs they’ll let anyone in

Yeah he just rented the venues out. The Underworld in Camden was £780. It's then up to him (or his "booking agent") to set ticket prices and sell them. That's how it works for most tours. That's why you see some bands charging £15 a ticket and others charging £40 a ticket while both playing in the same venue.

• Paid Members

Bit the bullet and grabbed 2 tickets for Slamdunk under their deposit scheme effort. 

Was a bit unsure on what to do next year but the appeal of a weekend festival has pretty much died for me so i was contemplating a one dayer and that fitted the bill, especially with that new stage. That and Rammstein in July will do me.

• Paid Members

I might pick up a ticket just for Saves The Day, Get Up Kids and Less Than Jake. The only issue is that the one-dayers tend to have the negative of too many bands clashing with one another. I bought tickets to Slam Dunk a few years back based on the cracking line-up only to find out a few weeks later that I wouldn't be able too  see half the bands I wanted to,

At least at a 3 day festival those kinds of situations are usually avoided but I'm a shrivelled up old husk of man now (and I'm also skint) so the prospect of 3-5 days in a field is rather daunting.

I'll see how the schedule shapes up, although I might give it a miss entirely if I can grab tickets for Taking Back Sunday's June tour, where they'll be playing 'Tell All Your Friends' in full. TAYF is, pound for pound, probably the best emo record of all time so I can't pass that opportunity up.

• Paid Members

My brother snapped me a ticket so it looks like I'm definitely going to TBS! Looking forward to singing every bloody word at the back. Still undecided on Slam Dunk, so I'll leave it to the very last minute to see how the schedule shapes up or if some of the bands play a few gigs around it.

23 hours ago, Accident Prone said:

I might pick up a ticket just for Saves The Day, Get Up Kids and Less Than Jake. The only issue is that the one-dayers tend to have the negative of too many bands clashing with one another. I bought tickets to Slam Dunk a few years back based on the cracking line-up only to find out a few weeks later that I wouldn't be able too  see half the bands I wanted to,

At least at a 3 day festival those kinds of situations are usually avoided but I'm a shrivelled up old husk of man now (and I'm also skint) so the prospect of 3-5 days in a field is rather daunting.

I'll see how the schedule shapes up, although I might give it a miss entirely if I can grab tickets for Taking Back Sunday's June tour, where they'll be playing 'Tell All Your Friends' in full. TAYF is, pound for pound, probably the best emo record of all time so I can't pass that opportunity up.

I've just choked on my American Football album....

It's a great album and I'll be there for sure to sing along to every word but it's not even the best album of that genre (that's Deja Entendu) :)

Troxy is a wicked venue as well. Well looking forward to this, let's have a beer

• Paid Members
22 minutes ago, SuperBacon said:

I've just choked on my American Football album....

It's a great album and I'll be there for sure to sing along to every word but it's not even the best album of that genre (that's Deja Entendu) :)

Troxy is a wicked venue as well. Well looking forward to this, let's have a beer

Whilst I adore Deja, the latter half of that album is weaker than the first half, hence the 'pound-for-pound' distinguisher. Sic Transit-Spin Light-Tommy Gun-Quiet Things-Boy Who Blocked is still my favourite straight run from any album though. Just untouchable.

I'll be placing myself at the bar and belting every word of TAYF as loud as humanly possible!

Speaking of Mayhem, I've just spotted that they've remastered Grand Declaration of War. It pissed off so many people at the time, one for being so untrve and two for daring to make an album without Euronymous but I love it personally. You can tell they'd been working with Garm of Ulver around that time.