The Metal/Punk/Rock Thread

Egg Shen

• Paid Members

it still blows my mind that Frank Turner got so big. I remember seeing Million Dead a couple of times at some sweaty sesspits and quite liked those two Million Dead albums but i didnt really follow his solo stuff. A mate of mine asked to go see him in Newport Center which hold around 2,500 a couple of albums in and i thought that venue was ambitious, but the reaction and devotion of the audience that night was insane, literally everyone there sang every word, except for me cause i didnt know any of the songs. Now hes playing 10,000 capacity arenas and headlining festivals.

Edited by Egg Shen

Yeah, it is really surreal. Don't get me wrong I'm happy for him; dude has slogged it out for years so fair play to him. But yeah, don't quite understand how he got so big. I rate guys like Jason Isbell, Brian Fallon and Ryan Adams well above him and those dudes are playing places like the Apollo or Albert Hall in Fallon's case in Manchester.

I think steering away from writing political and social commentaries for disenfranchised teenagers towards middle of the road folk rock songs for middle aged parents who are trying to stay relevant and “down with the kids” by going to V Festival or Latitude since their kids grew up and went to uni helped with his career rise too.

I really miss the old Frank. I saw him at the tail end of Million Dead play a solo gig in my mates garage for her birthday. All he wanted was his train fare paid for. He was brilliant. Those first two albums are absolutely cracking but these days it sounds like he doesn’t have that fire inside him anymore. 

• Paid Members
1 hour ago, wordsfromlee said:

I think steering away from writing political and social commentaries for disenfranchised teenagers towards middle of the road folk rock songs for middle aged parents who are trying to stay relevant and “down with the kids” by going to V Festival or Latitude since their kids grew up and went to uni helped with his career rise too.

he definitely tapped into something.

It isnt like his Million Dead career really launched it either, they were respected but never went beyond toilet circuit level, and to the best of my knowledge he never really had a hit single did he? mad how it blew up.

Anyone seen his documentary? i have it but havent got around to watching it yet.

4 hours ago, wordsfromlee said:

I really miss the old Frank. I saw him at the tail end of Million Dead play a solo gig in my mates garage for her birthday. All he wanted was his train fare paid for. He was brilliant. Those first two albums are absolutely cracking but these days it sounds like he doesn’t have that fire inside him anymore. 

That's super cool. My mate once told me he saw him play a pub (think this was when he was first starting out playing solo) and after the set he sat outside and continued playing for like a good hour. Another mate who is a massive Million Dead/Frank Turner fan used to chat to him quite regularly 'back in the day'. No chance of that now.

• Paid Members

I must have missed a huge chunk of his career, because as far as I could tell he went from the bloke out of Million Dead, to "Peggy Sang The Blues" getting played incessantly on Radio 1, and now half my female friends seemingly absolutely adore him. Hell of a career trajectory, and it just seemed to materialise out of nowhere.

41 minutes ago, BomberPat said:

I must have missed a huge chunk of his career, because as far as I could tell he went from the bloke out of Million Dead, to "Peggy Sang The Blues" getting played incessantly on Radio 1, and now half my female friends seemingly absolutely adore him. Hell of a career trajectory, and it just seemed to materialise out of nowhere.

There was a period after Million Dead where he’d play anywhere at all as long as you paid for his train fare and shared your drugs. Then he went on a bunch of tours during the first couple of records supporting bands like Fightstar and Biffy Clyro which was a bit strange. For the third album he seemed to tone down the lyrics and make them a bit more general and accessible which caught the ear of people like Fearne Cotton and Jo Whiley on Radio 1. Next thing you know, he’s playing Wembley and selling tickets to “song writing camps” to middle class Americans for $1000 a pop.