The Metal/Punk/Rock Thread

Egg Shen

• Paid Members
6 minutes ago, Ralphy said:

i love me some dry kill logic! is your username named after the Jawbreaker song of the same title? 

It is indeed! Fucking LOVE me some Jawbreaker. I got into them way too late though so I'm waiting on baited breath for them to bring one of their sporadic reunion shows over here.

Edited by Accident Prone

• Paid Members
11 hours ago, WyattSheepMask said:

So you were the one that bought Five Pointe O’s album!

I kid, I kid

I have a Five Pointe O album! Did they only have one? Its got like a yellow and red cover. Its something i picked up much later for like 20p in a charity shop (hunting for cheap cd's is a hobby of mine).

I was all over that stuff thouth, i even had the Downer album.

Anyone remember The Workhorse Movement?

Edit* thinking about it i think we had this type of conversation not long ago. I remember talking about The Dirty Americans (Workhorse Movement offshoot).

Edited by Egg Shen

• Paid Members
1 hour ago, SuperBacon said:

Jets to Brazil were much, much better :)

I dig JTB but they lacked that one killer album to really cement themselves. I  never find myself singing along to their songs but stick 'Kiss The Bottle' or 'Boxcar' on and I'm way away. 

But I know a  lot of people worship JTB and I can definitely see why. I think If I was into Jawbreaker when they split up, I would definitely be a much bigger fan of Jets (I got into Jawbreaker about ten years ago, so it was long after they broke up).

1 hour ago, Ralphy said:

I messaged the vocalist from Gameface a few months ago, i asked if he would do UK shows but sadly it is beyond affordability for them to do, hopefully Jawbreaker can do some shows here but it may be much the same for them 

Yeah, most likely. It's a real shame though as they are a big 'legacy' band but I bet they're real picky with where they play. I've pretty much seen every band I love but Jawbreaker (along with Mineral, Foo Fighters and Circle Takes The Square) are the only ones left to tick off the list. 

Talking of RoadRunner, back when my CD collection was limited to about 8 albums, this sampler disk that I got from HMV was a real winner;

R-987097-1181065055.jpeg.jpg

1 hour ago, Accident Prone said:

Yeah, most likely. It's a real shame though as they are a big 'legacy' band but I bet they're real picky with where they play. I've pretty much seen every band I love but Jawbreaker (along with Mineral, Foo Fighters and Circle Takes The Square) are the only ones left to tick off the list. 

I've managed to see both Mineral and Circle Takes the Square. CTTS was proper bucket list stuff and I've actually seen them twice. Hard to believe when you consider how they operate (or don't) as a band. Mineral were fine but, in all honesty, largely forgettable. It was cool to see them as they are a 'legendary' band from the 90's Emo scene but not exactly essential viewing.

3 hours ago, Egg Shen said:

I have a Five Pointe O album! Did they only have one? Its got like a yellow and red cover. Its something i picked up much later for like 20p in a charity shop (hunting for cheap cd's is a hobby of mine).

I was all over that stuff thouth, i even had the Downer album.

Anyone remember The Workhorse Movement?

Edit* thinking about it i think we had this type of conversation not long ago. I remember talking about The Dirty Americans (Workhorse Movement offshoot).

Yeah that’s their only album (Untitled I think it was called). They had 2 EPs before signing with RR and toured for about a year after it was released and then split the following year.

And yeah, we had the Workhorse Movement/Dirty Americans conversation a few months back.

2 hours ago, Accident Prone said:

Talking of RoadRunner, back when my CD collection was limited to about 8 albums, this sampler disk that I got from HMV was a real winner;

R-987097-1181065055.jpeg.jpg

Sampler CDs were great. You’d had big names debuting a new track to kick them off and then get a load of stuff that I’d never heard of, sometimes you’d get a winner (Heaven Shall Burn, Occupational Hazard), sometimes you’d get a right stinker (Radiator) but it was always about the discovery

Edited by WyattSheepMask

• Paid Members
1 hour ago, lightningxlock said:

I've managed to see both Mineral and Circle Takes the Square. CTTS was proper bucket list stuff and I've actually seen them twice. Hard to believe when you consider how they operate (or don't) as a band. Mineral were fine but, in all honesty, largely forgettable. It was cool to see them as they are a 'legendary' band from the 90's Emo scene but not exactly essential viewing.

Yeah, I can imagine that Mineral wouldn't be the most exciting band in the world to see. They're still bucket list for me though 

So what's the deal CTTS then? Are the members preoccupied with other bands or projects, or do they not get along anymore?

1 hour ago, WyattSheepMask said:

Sampler CDs were great. You’d had big names debuting a new track to kick them off and then get a load of stuff that I’d never heard of, sometimes you’d get a winner (Heaven Shall Burn, Occupational Hazard), sometimes you’d get a right stinker (Radiator) but it was always about the discovery

Heaven Shall Burn were quality! I had a few free Kerrang CDs that would get constant rotation back in the day. They even held a competition for an unsigned band to get on one. I think they were called Kermac Jera and the song was something like 'Deathrace' and boy did it suck.

But you would get some bloody good stuff usually. Metal Hammer CDs tended to be more consistent in terms of quality. I got introduced to Thursday and post-hardcore in general through them. And these guys too, who I thought were going to be real big (I was wrong);

Edited by Accident Prone

• Paid Members
1 hour ago, WyattSheepMask said:

Radiator! I've got a few of their singles. I used to goto a monthly record fayre in Cardiff back then and pick up anything dirt cheap (talking like £1-£3 for albums) that i recognised the name of. Id read magazines front to back and ive got a pretty good memory for stuff like that so id pick up all sorts, exciting times. 

Sampler cds were great too. Spillers Records in Cardiff had a brilliant sampler section, usually punk related stuff, but i got some gold there. Id usually got for the most tracks for the least amount money. I'll get some pics up when im home.

Samplers were ace.  They were the only way back then that you'd get to hear a band you'd never heard, or even heard of, without shelling out for their album.  Still got a few death metal ones from the early 90s on cassette knocking around somewhere!  I was lucky to have a mate who was a tape trader as well so he and samplers were my gateway to new metal back them.

I suppose Spotify radio is the closest thing these days?  Not complaining as I love being able to check a band out with just a click on a link.

• Paid Members

This was the king of samplers for me back in the day. Ticked all the boxes as a 17 year old.

1. 'Get Fighted', Alexisonfire (Exclusive Recording) 
2. 'You Know Whose Seatbelt', The Bled 
3. 'Gotta Get Out of Here', The AKA's 
4. 'As Always', My Awesome Compilation 
5. 'The Quiet Things That No One Ever Knows', Brand New (Acoustic Session Recording) 
6. 'The Light and The Sound', Rocky Votolato 
7. 'Blinders', Jackson United (Exclusive Recording) 
8. 'Amphetamine Crush', Salem 
9. 'The Sound', Further Seems Forever 
10. 'Not A Word', Recover (Exclusive Recording) 
11. 'A Safe Place', 'The Beautiful Mistake 
12. 'Grand Theft Autumn/Where Is Your Boy', Fall Out Boy (Acoustic Exclusive Recording)

image.png

Haha so many people I knew in Cov thought Thoria would make it big, they're still going and recording new music it seems.

Earache and Peaceville samplers introduced me to so much metal in the early 00's and then there were the Fear Candy CD's given away with Terrorizer (RIP) magazine. There were the Metal Hammer CD's too but I was far too underground to care about those..

Spotify radio would be better if it didn't play bands I already like, maybe I'm doing it wrong. But saying that, it sorts out some real decent daily mixes with each being a different genre or style.