The Metal/Punk/Rock Thread

Egg Shen

On what basis? Because they’ve been around longer? That’s usually their logic, which if applied would have meant that Download 2015 would have been headlined by Uriah Heep and UFO rather than massive ticket shifting bands like Slipknot and Rammstein

I love Ghost, I love Candlemass, but only a gobshite who wants to lose money is booking it the other way round. If Candlemass has been announced for the Metallica Stadium shows they’d be saying that Metallica should be supporting because they haven’t put anything good out since the No Life Till Learher demo

Edited by WyattSheepMask

Because it's cool to hate Ghost and discount them as a gimmicky pop act, typical metal elitism. Trve metal fans would never listen to Ghost, don't you know?

Incidentally I've been listening to a lot of another band called Ghost, great if you like prog/psyche etc.

• Paid Members
34 minutes ago, Merzbow said:

Candlemass are supporting Ghost on their European dates and the reactions are priceless, I'm no Ghost fan but seeing people bitch and moan saying Candlemass should headline is hilarious.

What they should do is allow them to switch roles and let all the Candlemass fans cry into their beer when the arenas empty out after Ghosts set.

• Paid Members
8 hours ago, SuperBacon said:

The new Basement album is really bloody good. Certain to be a breakthrough album for them. Just uncomplicated, melodic driven rock music. Fair play to them, better than the new absolute dog shit You Me At Six effort anyway.

I heard a song on the work radio yesterday and mistook it for some new Maroon Five wank, only for the DJ to reveal that it was Youmeatsix. I was gob smacked. I understand and encourage bands to evolve their sound, but this is just two steps back. Awful shite.

9 hours ago, SuperBacon said:

The new Basement album is really bloody good. Certain to be a breakthrough album for them. Just uncomplicated, melodic driven rock music. Fair play to them, better than the new absolute dog shit You Me At Six effort anyway.

I have to second this. I wasn't too keen when I first heard the last few singles, but the whole album flows together so well. If you like Jimmy Eat World, give it a go. 

1 hour ago, Accident Prone said:

I heard a song on the work radio yesterday and mistook it for some new Maroon Five wank, only for the DJ to reveal that it was Youmeatsix. I was gob smacked. I understand and encourage bands to evolve their sound, but this is just two steps back. Awful shite.

Not going to deny I loved their first album when it first came out, revisited it recently and it's so obviously of it's time but still great, and they've had some absolute bangers off their other albums, but this is just awful.

• Paid Members
21 minutes ago, SuperBacon said:

Not going to deny I loved their first album when it first came out, revisited it recently and it's so obviously of it's time but still great, and they've had some absolute bangers off their other albums, but this is just awful.

Yeah, they were never the best in their field but they put out solid pop-punk and were capable of a floor filler or two. They've obviously seen Fall Out Boy and Panic! do well with their more 'pop focused' sound and tried to imitate it. I hope this leads to a counter-culture of sorts where we'll see Lorde and Kate Perry suddenly release a deathmetal or grindcore album.

On the subject of Ghost, I don't get it, they're a bit light so not for me, but to bitch about a band that's obviously a massive draw and getting younger eyes on Candlemass is surely a good thing?
It's like when The Haunted randomly supported Funeral For A Friend years ago. Now admittedly, The Haunted are a way better band but FFAF were a huge draw over here then, get the yoof buying tickets and have an awesome band open up and batter them senseless.

7 minutes ago, cobra_gordo said:

On the subject of Ghost, I don't get it, they're a bit light so not for me, but to bitch about a band that's obviously a massive draw and getting younger eyes on Candlemass is surely a good thing?
It's like when The Haunted randomly supported Funeral For A Friend years ago. Now admittedly, The Haunted are a way better band but FFAF were a huge draw over here then, get the yoof buying tickets and have an awesome band open up and batter them senseless.

I BEG YOUR PARDON!!!

2 hours ago, cobra_gordo said:

Like Merz alluded to before, it’s just people having a moan at the popular band, they like Hans Moleman. “I need the biggest metal band you have...no, they’re too big”

It’s blindlingly obvious that Ghost are the drawing band and without sounding disrespectful to Candlemass, they’re never going to get to that level. Tobias made an appearance on Candlemass’ recent EP, so I wouldn’t be surprised if he made the call to have them go out on the road together, and these are probably some of the biggest shows they’ll ever play at this stage that arn’t festivals.

Ghost keep going from strength to strength, their last album peaked at #6 in the midweek album chart here, yet for some reason success is a bad thing in the metal scene, god forbid you do well for yourself

Edited by WyattSheepMask

Whilst I watched the new video for Dance Macabre today and thought they've finally gotten a little too light for what I want from them, I do really like Ghost. My girlfriend got me a Ghost shirt a few weeks back and when I wear it out I get that feeling one gets sometimes when they can see their apparel being met with a combination of curiosity and approve. I know that sounds narcissistic, but I'm more using it to illustrate the point that they're today's marketable image metal crossover act, and that's not a bad thing at all for the scene. Even if your particular part of the scene is concerned with re-reading Lords of Chaos and drawing pentagrams everywhere. Because whilst you're a pragmatic atheist, they kinda look cool and you still want a bit of that buzz. 

I think they could end up like Misfits, having their image co-opted into high street stores as a byline for 'alternative', getting worn by people who can't name any of the tunes.