The Metal/Punk/Rock Thread

Egg Shen

As much as I would want to see Danzig and/or Misfits, 'tr00' Bloodstock-ers would have a monumental hissyfit if that occured. Danzig could headline the second stage on his own though, but Misfits wouldn't go down well. But then again, I think Andrew WK would be great as second stage headliner too

Behemoth headlined a few years back, so this would be them stepping back up, but they are a good shout as they'll be touring their new album.

Sabaton are doing the festivals next year as part of their 20th Anniversary, so the smart money seems to be on them after they sub-headlined last time they played Bloodstock in 2015(?)

Lots seem to be hoping for Manowar as part of their 'farewell tour', but unless Joey DeMaio has had some realisation that Manowar are not worth the money that he's commanded over the years, and he has dropped his demand of 100% of the merch money on Manowar items plus 40% of everyone elses merch (yes, he really did ask for that) and drops his demand of renaming the festival 'Magic Circle Festival presented by Bloodstock', or he gets a better offer from some failed state of the former Soviet Union, I'd be ultra suprised if it's them.

Every other suggestion I've seen is either some band that couldn't sell out someones back garden nevermind a 20K capacity festival, or a bunch of repeats. If it ends up being fucking Slayer or Megadeth on the Sunday again I might leave and get home a day earlier

Edited by WyattSheepMask

• Paid Members

Oh yeah, id forgotten Behemoth had headlined. That was the odd year i didn't go.

The Manowar rumor gets tossed around every year. Are they even big enough to headline it now? I know they are a cult band but the novelty has long worn off hasnt it?

It was like with Judas Priest headlining, if you say it enough times you might be right eventually.

I think they're enough of a novelty that they could play in the headline slot, but i doubt you would shift any extra tickets because of it. Anyone that would buy a ticket to see Manowar would probably already be going to Bloodstock anyway, so your not gaining from having them there. It's like when you hear some people say that Blind Guardian should have headlined rather than sub-headlined or Kreator should have headlined over Ghost in 2017. Having those two bands one slot further up playing an extra 30 minutes wasn't going to shift any extra tickets than what they sold by having them in the slots they were. They sold more tickets, which is the aim of the game, by having Ghost have their first UK Festival headline slot than if it was the other way around, and that was coming off Ghost doing a UK tour less than 6 months earlier.

Manowar haven't been back to the UK since the 2011 tour which must have barely broken even, largely down to Metal Hammer sponsoring it, where they couldn't even fill Academy venues (wasn't the reported Cardiff attendance something like 350?).

At the end of the day, Manowar, much as I do like them in 'god, metals daft isn't it' sort of way, are nowhere near as big as Joey DeMaio thinks they are. When they got announced for Hellfest, it was  Manowar claiming they were headlining, not Hellfest. Even in the video  of the announcement shot from the crowd, Mass Hysteria got a bigger reaction. Granted, Hellfest is in France and they're a French band, but the pop for them over Manowar was noticeable 

Edited by WyattSheepMask

• Paid Members

Are there any daft power metal bands big enough to do it? I think Bloodstock has rinsed through most of them by now, its not really my genre but im always surprised by how popular some of those bands are.

In Flames i would have said would be a shoe in a decade ago, but even though they're still a big band the new commercial direction wouldn't make them a popular choice. Dont think they've ever played Bloodstock either.

Volbeat ive seen tossed around too. I think thats a logical one even though that announcement would piss off that vocal minority that like to complain about everything. They headline festivals much bigger than Bloodstock in Europe. Id love to see that.

Volbeat would be a good shout, and might just about be in Bloodstock's price range. I'd love to see them again, and Michael Poulsen knows his metal that he can tailor it to the audience, apart from as you mentioned that vocal minority who moan about the lineup yet still go every year. They're like Hans Moleman, "We want the biggest metal band you can get....no, they're too big". I've even heard people dismiss a band because they're "too popular". Yeah, because we wouldn't more people to buy tickets, thereby attracting bigger bands and thus have the festival grow as a result now would we, dipshit. 

As for Power Metal, I think Bloodstock has out-grown Power Metal in terms of having them as a headline act. As you said, some of them are popular but again there isn't anybody that is going to shift you extra tickets than what you can get them for in a sub-headline slot. They' be better off taking a punt on a J-Rock/Visual Kei band like X Japan, Galneryus or Versallies, who're bands that are similar to Power Metal stylistically, but that is a rarity playing over here. But again, you're not going to shift huge amounts of tickets for a band like them either, so they would be putting their faith in whoever they have as the other two headliners 

Edited by WyattSheepMask

I'm so out of touch with who's a big act in the UK but could Mastodon headline? I'm pretty sure their last album was a huge seller too.

Oh and if we're talking Japanese bands, Boris, but they'd so be shit on as not being "metal" enough even though they've produced heavier music than half of the bands that actually play the festival..

Edited by Merzbow

• Paid Members

Speaking of Bloodstock getting bigger. You could definitely tell they'd upped the attendance this year. The standing area was the same size but felt fuller earlier in the day. The biggest difference was in the open space up around the bar and and around the merch areas, those areas were packed this year which made a big this year. I hope they cap it where it is though, any bigger and i think it'll lose that initimate feel that makes the festival so special.

A lad I know is involved with the signing tent at Bloodstock, he has been posting a lot about Volbeat in the last week.  I'm sure it means fuck all apart from he likes Volbeat as he is professional like that.  I'll never attend a Bloodstock but I do admit it's an annual highlight to see people lose their shit because Nazi Goat Dwarf aren't headlining the Kvit stage.