The Metal/Punk/Rock Thread

Egg Shen

Got back from Bloodstock about 10:20 this morning. So glad to laying down on something isn’t the ground.

Gojira were the band of the weekend for me, absolutely cemented themselvesxas a headline act for a festival of Bloodstock’s size. I was worried for them after the rain came down during Cannibal Corpse that the crowd were going to watch them from afar, but luckily it stopped and the field filled up. Jasta was really good too, even if I did get the info about Uncured being his backing band mixed up.

The Sunday was a really good day even though on paper it looked the weakest. Pallbearer, Watain, DevilDriver and Nightwish all absolutely nailed it. Watched a bit of Fozzy out of morbid curiosity having not seen them since I was about 20. Jericho using a backing track of his own vocal was fucking weak, and the have 3 backing vocals as well to hide him even more.

Saw some really good stuff on the New Blood stage too, the quality on that stage is getting stronger every year

• Paid Members

Jericho miming or having vocal assistance was a bit sad. He's a good, if cheesy showman but it was so painfully obvious that he wasnt singing that it hampened my enjoyment of the set. 

I was wearing a Roddy Piper show all weekend if anyone noticed me, i did see a of wrestling shirts knocking about...i didnt change cause im a smelly fucker.

My band Swamp Coffin have made it on the list of bands to vote for to play the next Doom vs Stoner festival in Sheffield. It's cheap of me, I know, but if some of you lot wouldn't mind voting for us to play it'd be much appreciated. Only takes a few minutes and closes this Thursday at 8pm.
https://www.surveymonkey.com/r/dvs4vote

If you're in to doom/stoner/sludge/Kylie Minogue, our two track demo is up at swampcoffin.bandcamp.com

Foxing have just released their new album Nearer To God and it is stunning. Weird, noisy, haunting, melancholic and just very, very pretty. I'm loathe to do the RIYL thing but this could apply from emo revival fans to fans of Mercury Rev or Spiritualized. Also saw them live at the weekend and they were fucking awesome. Check it out.

• Paid Members

Had a few days to reflect/recover from Bloodstock...

Bands of the weekend were the standard fair, Gojira's headline set was epic, i wasnt expecting such a visual experience, it looked and sounded massive. Judas Priest also surprised me, i aint much of a fan but i thought they were brilliant.

Devildriver, At the Gates, Cannibal Corpse (who brought the rain) were all great as they always are.

Great thing about this year was variety though, i saw a whole bunch of different shit. Suprises/finds of the weekend were:

Jasta, just great fun. The guests and the choice of songs was brilliant, Jasta himself seemed to be having more fun than anyone in the whole field.

Combichrist sound huge on Saturday afternoon. Electronic based music will always sound good but they went down a treat.

Mr Big. Thought this was a weird booking but for a mid afternoon Sunday they broke it up brilliantly...and fuck me, they can play. I think a band that good will always garner respect from music fans. Ridiculous musicians.

In the Sophie tent...

Alien Weaponry got the best reaction in the tent of any band ive ever seen in there (not counting Suicidial Tendencies which doesnt count, they got moved from the main stand and were quality). They are a band of New Zealand teenagers, the singer is just 16 but they play a mix of Helmet'y riffs, mixed with some Sepultura-style stuff but from a Maori persective, maybe a touch of grubge. It was just a breathe of fresh air, genuienly felt like being back in the 90s watching these, it didnt sound like they'd any new music in 20 years. The tent was losing its shit.

Exhorder were brilliant too. A great example of a band brought back to life by the power of the internet. Never thought id get to see them. 

I know ive forgotten shit but thats off the top of my head. Great weekend outside of that Saturday night weather which damn near drowned me in my tent.

Edited by Egg Shen

• 2 weeks later...

Been playing Braille by Palm Reader over and over again recently. What an absolutely belting album. Maybe my favourite metal album of the last 10 years.

Also, Rage are my favourite band of all time. I don't know if this will ever change. I have been revisiting Evil Empire a lot. It's their best album. I'm calling it. It's just full of interesting, challenging bits and bobs. Why this is seen as Rage's 'shit' album I'll never know.

But then look at the first 6 songs on BOLA. Frighteningly strong. Fuck, I miss Rage.

Yeah, I think you sort of answered your own question a bit. It’s not a shit album, it just doesn’t have much in the way of their ‘hits’ on it. 

Therrs probably tonnes of examples you could use of bands who have put together a very good album of songs, but other parts of the catalogue eclipse them and those songs tend to get forgotten about. When playing shows, bands know that 90%+ of the audience is there to hear them play the hits, and as good as certain songs are they have to make way

Edited by WyattSheepMask

• Paid Members

Id probably say Evil Empire is my favorite RATM album too. That and the debut are classics for me. I need to revisit The Battle of Los Angeles though, i aint listened to that since the year it came out.

Has anyone seen someone posted their first ever public live show a on youtube a couple of years ago...

I only discovered it a couple of weeks ago. Lots of songs from the debut are present but still very much works on progress. Brilliant little piece of history.

Edited by Egg Shen

Ozzy and Priest have just announced a tour for next year:

Wed 30 Jan-19 3arena, Dublin, Ireland
Fri 01 Feb-19 Motorpoint Arena, Nottingham, UK
Sun 03 Feb-19 Manchester Arena, Manchester, UK
Tue 05 Feb-19 Metro Radio Arena, Newcastle, UK
Thu 07 Feb-19 Sse Hydro, Glasgow, UK
Sat 09 Feb-19 Genting Arena, Birmingham, UK
Mon 11 Feb-19 O2 Arena, London, UK

• Paid Members
11 hours ago, eugenespeed said:

I'd echo Evil Empire as my favourite RATM album. Was anyone else on the UKFF at Finsbury Park in 2010? Awesome night that. 

I wasnt but i have the DVD.

I only saw RATM once, at Leeds Festival in 2000 and it was incredible. Guess it was a sign of the times though to see that they played about half way up the main stage when only a few years earlier they headlined the thing (the lineup that year was fucking awesome though).

Edited by Egg Shen