The Metal/Punk/Rock Thread

Egg Shen

1 hour ago, Gay as FOOK said:

My girlfriend got me a Ghost shirt a few weeks back and when I wear it out I get that feeling one gets sometimes when they can see their apparel being met with a combination of curiosity and approve.

Weirdly, everybody in a Ghost shirt (think I saw two or three) at Doom vs Stoner the other week was met with the standard elitist shit of "Look at this wanker who knows nothing about doom".

• Paid Members

What I've heard of Ghost, I've really enjoyed. The main thing I've noticed is that it's the biggest upsurge in metal T-shirts for a new band that I can remember since probably Slipknot. Very rare that I go to a gig or wrestling show and don't see at least one these days.

Fuck elitism, though, metal's full of it. One of the reasons I gave up DJing a couple of years back is because I got sick of dealing with metal fans, and it was killing my enjoyment of the music.

• Paid Members
8 hours ago, cobra_gordo said:

It's like when The Haunted randomly supported Funeral For A Friend years ago. .

I went to the Newport show on that tour. Think it was FFAF, The Haunted, Jonah Matranga and The Lucky Nine? Might be wrong about the last band. What a weird bill. That was full on Welsh scenester days, i think they went down well but imagine there many there who hated The Haunted that night.

15 hours ago, Merzbow said:

It's likely not a healthy way to deal with elitests but I like to out-elite them for shits and giggles, it's especially easy as they're often the types who have not long found black metal and still think shit like Burzum is relevant.

I used to like messing with those types. There were loads of them in 2005 when deathcore was massive. You'd find yourself talking to some twat with a backwards Lego man haircut and they'd say "Yeah, well I bet you've never heard of Job For A Cowboy" or whoever. And I'd just make up a fake band name and say "Have you heard of Falling Off A Bicycle Whilst Holding A Skull?" or something equally preposterous. The amount of times they'd say yes or that they'd only heard their first E.P. Tossers.

Spunkatron were my go to made-up band. Amazing how many had heard of a band I’d obviously made up.

In other news, Scorpions have been announced as the Sunday headliners for Bloodstock 2019. Decent enough booking in that they’ll be a popular with the crowd that arn’t complaining about the lack of Frostnazi (tm @Merzbow) and they’re not Slayer or Megadeth, so thumbs up

2 hours ago, WyattSheepMask said:

Spunkatron were my go to made-up band. Amazing how many had heard of a band I’d obviously made up.

In other news, Scorpions have been announced as the Sunday headliners for Bloodstock 2019. Decent enough booking in that they’ll be a popular with the crowd that arn’t complaining about the lack of Frostnazi (tm @Merzbow) and they’re not Slayer or Megadeth, so thumbs up

Frostnazi are great. I liked them before they got big though.

• Paid Members

I think Scorpions are a brilliant Sunday headliner for Bloodstock. Perfect combination of pretty legendary, a bit of fun and something that's not quite big enough to headline a bigger rock festival. 

The joke about slagging off metal fans for wanting obscure bands is so old, it's on every page of this thread, can we give it a rest?  It's one of those things where I see the complaints and jokes about it way more often than the actual thing happening and I don't really get what the big deal is with other people liking more niche stuff anyway.

• Paid Members

It's not about liking more niche stuff, it's about either pretending to like niche stuff to make you seem more knowledgeable (the stories of people pretending to have heard of bands you just made up), or being willfully ignorant of how promoting gigs actually works (acting like they can't understand why Ghost would headline over Candlemass), or just being elitist smug sods.

I worked a metal night for years, and there were plenty of blokes who used to come to that who - a couple of them later admitted to me - used to try and catch me out when I first started. Because I wasn't exclusively a metal DJ at that club, and they were of the "anything that isn't metal is shit" mentality, they assumed I must not know what I was doing, and tried to catch me out by requesting bands they didn't think I'd have, but their idea of "obscure" was something like Strapping Young Lad. It wasn't unheard of for me to get requests to play something by a band I was currently playing.

I've no problem with people liking obscure bands, I do have a problem with people who think the music they listen to marks them out as somehow exceptional, or as some kind of rebellious minority. That I still encounter metal fans in their 30s or 40s who think that listening to metal makes them edgy and alternative, I find quite sad - that's an attitude that's maybe acceptable in your teens, and that's about all.

9 minutes ago, BomberPat said:

That I still encounter metal fans in their 30s or 40s who think that listening to metal makes them edgy and alternative

Yep, and they are blissfully unaware that metal is probably the most conservative fanbase there is.

• Paid Members
4 minutes ago, Keith Houchen said:

Yep, and they are blissfully unaware that metal is probably the most conservative fanbase there is.

Often most conservative, and arguably the most consistently popular. Nothing more cringeworthy than listening to a metalhead deriding music they don't like as "too commercial" while dressed head to toe in licensed merchandise.