The Metal/Punk/Rock Thread

Egg Shen

• Paid Members
2 hours ago, Dead Mike said:

Their latter albums were great though. Welcome Home Armageddon, Conduit & Chapter & Verse were all really good records, it's just that they weren't seen as being current & many ignored them.

For years FFAF were one of those bands we'd always go & see whenever they toured. When they announced their farewell shows it was a bit frustrating as they played these massive shows & people were claiming to be upset they were kicking it in the head. Where were these fuckers when they were playing to 110 of us in Chester on a Thursday on the tour prior? 

i know someone who went to that Chester show, he said it was quite sad to see how far they had fallen.

Those last few albums (despite their quality) to me always seemed like a desperate attempt to bring the old fans back as it was a return to their original sound, it didnt work though.

• Paid Members

I went to the tour before the retirement tour, as well as a retirement show in Manchester. Mental to see them play to maybe 200 people at the Wolverhampton Slade Rooms, and then a year later in the sold out 02.

The thing with FFAF is, much like Thursday, they never made the record that the fanbase wanted after they got big and they weren't lucky enough to stumble upon a hit single afterwards to keep them at the forefront. They made the music they wanted and those of us who just wanted another 'Casually Dressed...' or 'Hours' kinda fell off. It's why a regular tour won't bring in those fans but a show playing the classic, nostalgic albums in full? Get in! 

I was one of those fans who loved the first two albums (I'd class 'Hours' as one of my favourite albums of all time too, I just could never get into their material afterwards), but I only went to that Wolves gig due to the timing of me and my friends being in the city.

Taking Back Sunday would've suffered a similar fate if they hadn't of gained major success with 'Makedamsure' on the third album, which was a more traditional, polished, straight-up rock record than the first two which relied heavily on emo and snippets of post-hardcore. Without MDS to give them that push, I think they too would've playing to 110 people at the Barfly by 2014.

• Paid Members
27 minutes ago, SuperBacon said:

Mad because Louder Now is their best album by miles 

Thems fighting words! I find that album to be a bit of a slog. It's solid and has a decent pace but a lot of the songs don't land for me. I found self-titled and 'New Again' to be much better. TAYF is still the king, though.

Edited by Accident Prone

• Paid Members

Maybe the most literal band name/show cause combo ever.

Gutted that I can't make the Cardiff show, especially with the focus on 02-07 material. Saw them several times over the years, but think the tour with BFMV and Gratitude after they'd released Hours was the best. Absolutely one of the key bands of my Teenage years.

I’m going to give it a couple more listens, but it’s certainly different from previous efforts. Initial reaction says that there are times where you get vintage Slipknot, while at others they seem to have gone heavy on little interludes. Orphan should have opened the album, and there are others, like Critical Darling, that will slot into the setlist beyond this touring cycle. Spiders should’ve been left off entirely though, that was fucking horrid

• Paid Members
On 8/9/2019 at 10:21 AM, Slapnut said:

Anyone manage to get FFAF tickets for Cardiff? Looks like they sold out within the minute.

Seems it’s been moved to the SU too, so hopefully there’ll be more tickets released.

Tried, didnt get them. They've added a second show to the uni. on Sunday 27th. Tickets go on sale tomorrow.

On 8/7/2019 at 2:56 PM, Dead Mike said:

Their latter albums were great though. Welcome Home Armageddon, Conduit & Chapter & Verse were all really good records, it's just that they weren't seen as being current & many ignored them.

For years FFAF were one of those bands we'd always go & see whenever they toured. When they announced their farewell shows it was a bit frustrating as they played these massive shows & people were claiming to be upset they were kicking it in the head. Where were these fuckers when they were playing to 110 of us in Chester on a Thursday on the tour prior? 

I could be one of the few that really liked their third album. Was a perfect come-down from that emo phase that happened in the early/mid 00's.

Edited by Seratonin