The Smartphone & associated apps discussion thread

David

• Paid Members

Don't Androids have a back button instead of screen prompts like iPhones do? No idea where it is on that phone though, sorry mate!

Edit: I'm assuming it's the bottom right of the handset:

galaxy_s5_menu_button.jpg?itok=8GS0i8pi

Edited by Au

• Paid Members

I've recently discovered PocketInformer on the iPhone.

Back in the late 90s I had a think called Jornada, which was a Windows CE based handheld. Whilst it was obviously very limited in comparison to modern smartphones, it did have a great program for it which was basically a fully integrated organiser that would sync with Outlook, and gave you your diary, contacts and email (offline) on the move.

Well 15 years later but there's finally something equivalent for iPhone and it's ace.

http://pocketinformant.com/products/pocket-informant-pro/

If you need a PDA style app, this is the best I've found.

Any Exchange-based service can offer that. All emails, contacts and calendar entries on my iPhone are synced via Google (fuck iCloud).

• Paid Members

Did he ever develop a game that wasn't utter shite? I heard he became a bit of a religious nut or something.

What the hell are you talking about? MDickie wrestling games are great fun.

Had a quick fiddle about with the Wrestling Revolution 3D one on a Samsung Galaxy tab and it was quite decent. Miles better than I thought it would be.

Back in the late 90s I had a think called Jornada, which was a Windows CE based handheld. Whilst it was obviously very limited in comparison to modern smartphones, it did have a great program for it which was basically a fully integrated organiser that would sync with Outlook, and gave you your diary, contacts and email (offline) on the move.

Well 15 years later but there's finally something equivalent for iPhone and it's ace.

Any Exchange-based service can offer that. All emails, contacts and calendar entries on my iPhone are synced via Google (fuck iCloud).

Not the same thing at all, though. I want the actual app, not using the basic calendar/contacts apps on iOS.

• Paid Members

Had my Galaxy S3 for 2 1/2 years. Absolutely brilliant phone. Managed to break it last night at the fair going on a kiddy ride with my daughter. Such an undignified end.

Ordered an S5 mini. Been 24 hours without a phone and I feel like my arm has been cut off. Such a strange feeling.

• Paid Members

Not the same thing at all, though. I want the actual app, not using the basic calendar/contacts apps on iOS.

Because mobile device operating systems have come on leaps and bounds over the past 15 years that they are the PDA. You don’t need an app, the OS does it for you. Need to see your schedule? Mobile OS’s have a notification centre of some sort listing upcoming appointments.

Unless I’m missing a particular use case, I’m not sure what the advantage of having everything silo’d in a single app is?

I've figured out how to connect and use my PS4 controller to my phone so I can play certain games properly. I've got the likes of Dead Trigger, Walking Dead & the GTA games, but can anyone recommend others that would work well with a proper controller? It's an Android phone so it needs to be off Google Play.

The only thing I've found annoying with this is the GTA games won't allow me to map the controller. The buttons are all over the place and not where I'm used to pressing in order to carry out certain actions. These are games I've paid for, and games like Dead Trigger (which are free) allow you to map your controller. Seems a little silly they wouldn't include this feature in it.