The Smartphone & associated apps discussion thread

David

Looking at a new smartphone to replace my S3. Similar functions as my s3 will be fine but something more up to date. Looking at an S5 but they seem huge, s5 mini seems a bit like my S3 so open to ideas. Looking to buy phone cash and stick with my £13 a month sim from 3 with 200 minutes and unlimited text and data but if anyone can point out a brilliant offer i'm game.

The only thing I've found annoying with this is the GTA games won't allow me to map the controller. The buttons are all over the place and not where I'm used to pressing in order to carry out certain actions. These are games I've paid for, and games like Dead Trigger (which are free) allow you to map your controller. Seems a little silly they wouldn't include this feature in it.

That is weird. My phone's the Sony Xperia Play from a few years ago, the one that has a PlayStation controller built in, and Vice City comes pre-mapped for it. The phone's hardware isn't great though so I have to turn down graphics settings to play it at a decent framerate.

My Iphone 4s seems to have just disabled my wifi. It has the option greyed out on my settings and just won't change no matter what I try. I've looked online and tried all the usual techniques to mend the issue such as system resets, downloading the latest updates etc but to no avail. There seems to be a number of people online saying a solution could be by freezing your phone in the freezer for 10 minutes to cool down the system but this seems dubious to me. Anyone been in a similar situation? Also apologies if this is better in the question thread, just thought it was a strange smartphone issue. 

My Iphone 4s seems to have just disabled my wifi. It has the option greyed out on my settings and just won't change no matter what I try. I've looked online and tried all the usual techniques to mend the issue such as system resets, downloading the latest updates etc but to no avail. There seems to be a number of people online saying a solution could be by freezing your phone in the freezer for 10 minutes to cool down the system but this seems dubious to me. Anyone been in a similar situation? Also apologies if this is better in the question thread, just thought it was a strange smartphone issue.

Happened to me that did and I could never get it to work again. Have you spilt any liquids on it as I had a few days prior to my wi-fi breaking so always assumed it was that.

Happened to me that did and I could never get it to work again. Have you spilt any liquids on it as I had a few days prior to my wi-fi breaking so always assumed it was that.

I don't remember doing so but it was strange how I just woke up one morning and the wi-fi just wouldn't work at all. It's not doing my data any good not having wi-fi haha. Looks like I might have to just invest in a new phone soon then if you say it never seemed to work again. 

• 2 months later...

On Twitter there was a promoted tweet about the game Marvel Contest of Champions, so I downloaded it.

I did the same with some stupid wwe top trumps game too. I would play them for hours til I eventually got bored of them.

Anyway, I have managed to somehow spend like a combined £40 (maybe more) on these games!!

It's actually insane, I'm still loving the marvel game, it's pretty fun. It's essentially street fighter.

The games which offer in app purchases are genius, they take advantage of idiots like me who just want more.

I would say that's the most I've spent on an app game but sadly it's not. I spent like £70 or something ridiculous once on the WGT golf game, which I don't actually feel bad about. It is an awesome game I definitely got my £70 worth as I bought a whole set of clubs and balls to last me pretty much forever.

Has anyone gone a bit crazy with the in app purchases?

• 4 months later...
  • Paid Members

So my contact is up with Orange and I've been paying around 50 quid a month so I could get 8gig data.

Times have changed. I now have a 4G EE tablet with more data at 15 quid a month and no longer need that much on my phone.

Here's the thing I quite like my Galaxy S4 and don't see a need to upgrade but wouldn't say no to a free PS4. To any phone savy folk any suggestions? Would a EE sim work in a orange S4?

• Paid Members

Along as your phone has been unlocked. It should work on all networks. Of it hasn't been unlocked. Then any high St independent mobile phone shop should be able to do it for you. They shouldn't charge more than £10.

• Paid Members

Along as your phone has been unlocked. It should work on all networks. Of it hasn't been unlocked. Then any high St independent mobile phone shop should be able to do it for you. They shouldn't charge more than £10.

Well I was thinking seeing as Orange & EE are the same company they might both work already. Any chance of that?

• Paid Members

It might work. I had a similar thing but I can't remember if it worked or not. It's annoying. Trying to call EE about my iPad tariff via Orange (my phone tariff is on Orange but I actually pay EE) results in them having to transfer me all over the place. Or vice versa. I forget. Point is, if you're the same company, why this nonsense? Anyway, it only costs like a tenner to get the phone unlocked.

I used to work for EE and it's confusing as fuck. As far as I remember, you can't use an EE sim in an Orange phone unless it's unlocked, but you can use an Orange sim in an EE phone. It's bonkers. Good luck getting it unlocked through Orange too, 9 times out of 10 they tell you it'll take a month but conveniently "forget" to process it.

Edited by Slapnut